Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    Anyone ever go out to Nelson? I don't want to emotionally commit to officially putting the boat away yet...
    Been 5 times in the last 2.5 weeks. It was just starting to pick up a week ago, but on Saturday during the tournament it was bad, for us at least, we actually did not partake in the tournament but 6 other boats did, and a goose hunter was out with a boat. I do not know how it went other than rite away a 4.5 and a 5 were caught. I have been waiting for results of their "measure/photo" tournament to be posted but haven't seen them yet, look on "badlands bass bandits " Facebook page for more tournament dates/ results to be posted.

it is about 5' low and you need to launch in the south/east ramp, and take your time as lake maps saying 5' may only be 1'. It's best to see with your eyes what you have felt with your lures, seen on si and livescope all to realize it is exactly what you thought is was. Pretty cool to see.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    There’s actually a winter league going on at Nelson now.
    the December 5, tournament had 6 boats/teams and basically all participants had 80" of fish for the best 5. the fish are not going yet maybe after it finally gets cold today the pressure will go down and the biggies will start to play

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    the December 5, tournament had 6 boats/teams and basically all participants had 80" of fish for the best 5. the fish are not going yet maybe after it finally gets cold today the pressure will go down and the biggies will start to play
    In my experience, they need to have both turbines going for the fishing to be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    In my experience, they need to have both turbines going for the fishing to be really good.
    they had been, rumor is this week they were only on one for maintenance.

5. Member
    I almost went the other day... but it's just such a hike from fargo for a lake I've never fished! If I can convince the partner to go... I'll do it... but 7 hours in the truck alone isn't a recipe for my mental health improving

Drive 80 and it's only 6.5

7. Member
    I own a Chevy... not sure she can... do 80?

I own a Chevy... not sure she can... do 80?
    I spoiled myself and went with a diesel, so no issue.

9. Member
    I spoiled myself and went with a diesel, so no issue.
    I test drove a ZR2 diesel (the baby duramax) and the torque was sweet... but my last daily was my 370z... and I had a hard time parting with the top end. I need to get my butt out to Nelson this year still though, nothing I love more then fishing dirty north dakota lakes when I grew up fishing gin clear smallmouth lakes in Michigan

Still the hardest thing for me fishing around these parts is adjusting from great lakes to these puddles... looking at you Roy and Cattail

I test drove a ZR2 diesel (the baby duramax) and the torque was sweet... but my last daily was my 370z... and I had a hard time parting with the top end. I need to get my butt out to Nelson this year still though, nothing I love more then fishing dirty north dakota lakes when I grew up fishing gin clear smallmouth lakes in Michigan

Still the hardest thing for me fishing around these parts is adjusting from great lakes to these puddles... looking at you Roy and Cattail
    The big diesels have a surprising top speed/ get there now. This weekend looks like high 40's and I may be going to nelson from "Jamestown " I tentatively offer a possibility of letting you tag along. If I go.

11. Member
    Shoot a pm out if you decide to head out!

13. Member
    As crappy as most of 2020 was, the tournament season went alright. Won 7 tournaments between Edak, the NE SD NBAA, the SD Glacial Lakes USA Bassin club, and my old club back in Alexandria MN. First highlight was a 13 pound margin of victory at the NBAA on Cattail. Funny story about that. At one point during the day I misculled and cost us about 4 ounces. I was sick to my stomach about it for two hours because a few years back on Cattail we came in with 24-3 and lost by one ounce, I figured for sure we would lose by 3 ounces this time. You never know what someone might come in with out there. In the end though we culled that mistake away and it didn't matter anyways. Second highlight was winning our 3rd straight Edak team of the year. Third highlight was squeeking out a W at the USA Bassin TOC on Big Stone. Sorry about that Dave, if it weren't for a random 5-9 in a spot that I have no idea why we ever stopped, it would have been yours. For sure my favorite highlight of the year though was the USA Bassin individual on Big Stone in May. It was the first tournament of the year, it was windy as hell, it was tough fishing. I set a couple of PBs that day. Caught a 7-0, which was my biggest at the time, and weighed in 24-13, which remains my best. That one probably felt as good as any of them ever have. Individual tournaments are fun, I wish we did a few more of them.

My lowlight of the year was fishing an 8 hour tournament on Poinsett and not catching a single fish all f#%@ing day. I've come in without my limit lots of times. I've blanked in a 6 hour random draw tournament... but I have never fished an 8 hour tournament (that I prefished a full day for) and not needed a weigh in bag. Now I can say I have! Beautiful weather too. A tough day for others, but by no means impossible. I can't explain it. That was a long ride home

Cattail/Kettle is a terrifying lake to run around on, especially when the water is down. I was out there once when it was dead flat calm, and it's unbelievable how many little sticks and random junk you can see just barely poking out of the water in the middle of the damn lake where the map tells you its 15 feet+ and you should be safe. All you can do is pucker up and cross your fingers.

No smallmouth in Big Stone to my knowledge. They are in Traverse though and I wish they would get big like the largemouth in Big Stone, but from what I hear they have a lot of growing to do yet.

Throw away all that clear water stuff you learned in Michigan. These are pea soup Dakota smallmouth. They play by their own rules

I've done that drive from Fargo to Nelson and back in one day before and it's too much for me. I suggest you drive out after work on Friday, get a hotel, fish all day Saturday, stay again, fish till 2 on Sunday and then book it back home. Make a weekend out of it.

14. Member
    No kidding... I wouldn't believe there were smallmouth in those lakes if I didn't see pictures!

You guys killed it this year, I hope to get a better shake at edak next season, sans boat problems!

No kidding... I wouldn't believe there were smallmouth in those lakes if I didn't see pictures!

You guys killed it this year, I hope to get a better shake at edak next season, sans boat problems!
    Yeah I think their Edak domination is coming to an end. The lucky nitro has been replaced and there may be a new kitty in SD as well

16. Member
    Yeah I think their Edak domination is coming to an end.
    I would think it has to! We've been scooting by on a lot of luck.

The lucky nitro has been replaced
    I've been telling you for years Sam, it's not the boat that's lucky, it's the big goon running it that's lucky. I've been stuck next to him since the first day of kindergarten (think about how our last names are spelled), I've had to witness it most my life. He's got more than one horseshoe up his arse.

there may be a new kitty in SD as well
    The only new Kitty in SD that I know of will belong to Bass57348, aka Big Dave. He handed down the Cougar to me last weekend and gets his new Lynx soon. He tells me the color schemes are almost identical. We're going to be twins out there, except for his motor is going to sound a lot cooler than mine.
    Last edited by Fishysam; 12-16-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redxdu View Post
    I would think it has to! We've been scooting by on a lot of luck.

I've been telling you for years Sam, it's not the boat that's lucky, it's the big goon running it that's lucky. I've been stuck next to him since the first day of kindergarten (think about how our last names are spelled), I've had to witness it most my life. He's got more than one horseshoe up his arse.

The only new Kitty in SD that I know of will belong to Bass57348, aka Big Dave. He handed down the Cougar to me last weekend and gets his new Lynx soon. He tells me the color schemes are almost identical. We're going to be twins out there, except for his motor is going to sound a lot cooler than mine.
    (I did not edit your post. I had fat fingers and I'm not sure how to delete the evidence)( not sure you can even see what I am talking about)

"more than one horseshoe up his arse"! Haha

i may need to find a ride in a caracal, Linx and a jag300 soon.
    Last edited by Fishysam; 12-16-2020 at 09:29 PM.

18. Member
    I can see what you're talking about. Be careful with your new found power

I bet Dave would show off his Lynx for you if you venture down and fish an SD derby with us. I don't know anyone with a Caracal or a Jag. I think the Caracal would be perfect for around here. The Jag seems overkill for Nelson and Spiritwood 90 times a year
    Last edited by Fishysam; 12-17-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Oops I did it again"""

Quote Originally Posted by redxdu View Post
    I can see what you're talking about. Be careful with your new found power

I bet Dave would show off his Lynx for you if you venture down and fish an SD derby with us. I don't know anyone with a Caracal or a Jag. I think the Caracal would be perfect for around here. The Jag seems overkill for Nelson and Spiritwood 90 times a year
    the only problem with the Caracal is the 225 limit and I have some Napoleon syndrome.

20. Member
    the only problem with the Caracal is the 225 limit and I have some Napoleon syndrome.
    You need an Eyra with a 300 then. You'll get used to the width.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast