Thread: Country Accent

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I was working in NH last month walked in a Harley shop, said how y’all doing . The girl said you are not from here are you. Lol
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordel View Post
    Yeah I guess I have a bad country accent. Sometimes it’s so bad I catch myself spelling out words how I say them. I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a southern thang lol because I have buddies down south and even in Texas tell me I talk funny. Being from Eastern, Ky and raised up dirt poor we never got out much, out of the hollow or off of the ridge. Our families mostly worked in the coal mines, strip jobs and running equipment on road jobs. I don’t know how our accent got so bad but it’s made for a good conversation piece over the years of my traveling on the pipeline. We get ask a lot you from Georgia, Texas and so forth. I’m working with a guy from Louisiana that just made fun of me the other day. He’s a bass fisherman also. I will spell it like I asked him this question. I asked him “ do you run Pear Poe’s on your boat?” He laughed and said what’s a Pear Poe? I said you know Pear Poes! He laughed again and said Slowly ,we run Power Poles and laughed. I said you smart ass, as I laughed with him.
    Believe me you ain't the only one with an accent. My wife says i'm pretty bad in that department. When i was a kid we'd go to Illinois to granny & grand paws which were my moms parents & everybody would laugh if they said hello & i said howdy. They'd laugh & ask where i was from all the time. Been called a TN briar several times until i told them i was from Ky. then they called me a hillbilly. And to think they think we talk weird.

3. Member
    I gave up on SIRI. She never understands me. I skip the frustration and type in my searches.

I have been in Europe on multiple work trips. Each time, I am always asked if I speak English. Once I convince them I am speaking English, our communication improves a little. I always laugh at the look on their face trying to determine this strange new language they are hearing.

It aint your fault everyone else didn't learn to talk right.

5. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    Where I come from in South Central Oklahoma, we can butcher English with the best of them. My accent is much better now than it was when I first moved to South Texas. Working in sales in Houston I had to work on my accent and not sound like a complete hick LOL.

When people ask me about my accent, I just tell them its half hillbilly, the other half cowboy.

Chickens don't have wings............they have Wangs!!!

I think my poor spelling skills is my accent. The older I get the more my true accent is coming back and I could care less.
    Last edited by WWDIII; 10-04-2020 at 09:37 PM.

6. Member
    Well you all sound the same to me

7. Member
    Some good comments. I enjoyed reading them. You know even my kids make fun of me and my wife. The schools are trying to teach the accent out of them. Any word like fire is a far, tire is a tar, wash is warsh, legs is lags. I was up in PA a few years ago and stoped by the Walmart looking for a cooler. I asked the door man in my accent y’all got any Q-lers. He said what? Any Q-lers. He said I quiet don’t understand what you are saying. You know a ice chest, something you put ice, pop and beer in. He went, oh, you mean a cooler. I shuck my head and then I asked him where the pop was at and he looked at me even funnier. I said never mind.

8. Member
    I could understand you as I was raised in East KY. East TN now. About same accent . Used to do business with a guy from France. We both thought we spoke English. His secretary had to translate. She was from Michigan. She talked very fast. Had to tell her "I'm southern, I talk slowly and I listen slowly" LOL

Born southern by the Grace of God.

9. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    My wife is hilarious with Siri she just gets louder and Siri keeps finding different stuff.

On the other hand to me Alexa says, "Hmmm...I'm sorry I didn't understand that one!" My two year old grand daughter can mumble something from across the room and Alexa says,"OK heres (whatever she asked for) for you!" I'm like What tha ----? How did she get that? And my whole family laughs at me.

I was in Indiana years ago in getting certified for some equipment. We went to a restaurant I simply asked for sweet tea with a lemon. When the waitress came back with a Pepsi and to take our order the whole waiting staff was with her. She said, "They just want to hear your accent." When they left I looked at my partner and asked if it was that bad? He just laughed. The waitress stayed with us asking question after question, I was for once actually somewhat embarrassed.

When she brought us our check she left me her number. My partners jaw was on the table when I told her, "Why Thank you ma'am, but I'm married." She said, "I'm not asking for a commitment!" All I could say was,"Thank ya ma'am!" By now my partners face was buried in his palms shaking his head. I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    I could understand you as I was raised in East KY. East TN now. About same accent . Used to do business with a guy from France. We both thought we spoke English. His secretary had to translate. She was from Michigan. She talked very fast. Had to tell her "I'm southern, I talk slowly and I listen slowly" LOL

Born southern by the Grace of God.
    Lol. I worked in St. Louis this past winter. One morning I pulled up to a McDonalds and ordered my food. I pulled up to the window and a pretty black girl asked me how I was doing? Well I answered her and she started laughing and screamed to the girls up front, “come and listen to this guy talk, he is country as hell!” Lol.

my first trip to NY was fun, heck i know i'm country, but my co-worker on this trip is country as cornbread and the ladies had a good time with him, we also had a guy at the airport trying to sell us an MX missile system and that was a lot of fun, also travelled to boston a few times with same guy, we were a big hit in the combat zone
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

12. Banned
    Ok, you brought up another geographical word...”POP”

How many use the word “Pop” for a soda? I haven’t ever heard anyone in Texas call it “POP”. Same thing with a fishing “derby”, everyone I know calls them “tournaments”.

13. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Ok, you brought up another geographical word...”POP”

How many use the word “Pop” for a soda? I haven’t ever heard anyone in Texas call it “POP”. Same thing with a fishing “derby”, everyone I know calls them “tournaments”.
    Most I hear here ask for coke or pepsi or if referring to a soda in general calls them a coke.

And for tournaments when I hear derby I think of horse racing or rollerskating.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    Most I hear here ask for coke or pepsi or if referring to a soda in general calls them a coke.

And for tournaments when I hear derby I think of horse racing or rollerskating.
    Never heard a tournament called a derby other than here, derby is a horse race.

15. Member
    I went to school in Tennessee and my friends always made fun of the way I talked, being from what they called "The North". I ended up staying down there after graduation for a couple more years, then moved back north. My friends and family said I had a Southern accent when I came back. My wife and I travel to Tenn several times a year and my wife tells me my accent changes to slightly Southern within a day or two. I tell her she's just jealous.
    2005 Z21 Comanche Yamaha VMax 250HPDI

I bet you sound normal to me

17. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    As a kid growing up in Oklahoma, Pop was common use for soft drinks. But most of us called everything a Coke, no matter if it was a Dr. Pepper. I think Pop is kind of a Midwestern thing. I worked with a lot of guy in the Houston area from other parts of the midwest and they refured to Cokes as pop.

Some of the real rual people in Oklahoma, Eastern Oklahoma say youins. Are youins comin over!! Also kindly was fairly common word. What color trim did you paint your house..........its kindly a white color.

One of these days when I retire in the near future, I am moving back to that state where they talk funny. They got big deer, good quail hunting and lakes with smallmouth. Along with strong culture of don't mess with my bible or my guns.

Being from southern Indiana we have some twang. You go north and people start asking where you're from. Indiana, I was told by a linguistics professor, is one of the most diverse states with dialect.

19. Member
    You ain’t nothing unless you talk like this guy;
    7E64147E-988C-41E9-A3BA-1C2D246AFF52.jpeg

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Dawg.... you ought to see and hear my hard of hearing Georgia ass in Maine at the Northern Rally.....I promise .....it's hilarious.... I misunderstand them and they misunderstand me and the riot goes on !! But you can bet ....as long as this old ass can make it I will be up there each year to visit some of the best people I've ever met.....
    Yup Mr. Jackson it's funny and we love it.. June can't come fast enough ..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast