Ghost TM Will Not Lock Down

Just noticed my Ghost will no lock down when stowed. I removed the stabilizer to make sure I was getting full movement and it didn't effect anything. I looked at the mechanism and couldn't really tell how it locked down.

When this happens on other brands, most of the time it's the mount that is twisted because the bolts are torqued too much or unevenly. Loosen the bolts on the mount and see if that solves the problem. If so, tighten bolts evenly.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Banned
    Is you sliding lock (pull rope) moving forwards & backwards when you pull it?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Is you sliding lock (pull rope) moving forwards & backwards when you pull it?
    Yes. But I can’t see what or how it locks.

5. Banned
    Ok, ran by my boat and snapped a photo, it’s not great. At the bottom right of the mount are 2 silver hooked catches, they lock the pivot down when stowed. Move your TM to half way deployed and see if your hooks are not moving. They only move a tiny bit, would be easier with 2 people. One holding the Tm and the other pulling the release rope.

6. Member
    Grout-Scout thank you so much. I went to 4-5 different places today just looking for a Ghost so I can see that. Nobody has one in stock or on a new boat. But I think I can figure it out from you photo. Amazing and thank you.

7. Banned
    I want to say that they moved less than 1/4”, but I was by myself and trying to hold the motor up & pull the cable was challenging. If you zoom in on the pic, you can see the hooks better.

8. Member
    That is definitely where my problem is. My bar won’t lock in those grooves. But I found a spring in the frame in that area and it looks like a hook on spring broke. On the inside of those 2 latches is a bar with a hole at the top. My guess is that spring was hooked in that hole but I have no idea where the other side of spring hooked, but I’ll try to figure that out on parts diagram.

9. Banned
    That might be a booger to re-attach. I wonder if there are any lowrance service centers???

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    That might be a booger to re-attach. I wonder if there are any lowrance service centers???
    I will call Lowrance on Monday. I know 1 of the 2 main trolling motor repair shops in Houston is not a Lowrance service center. I stopped by this past week to ask. I also know that I have to get this fixed. It was pretty rough Saturday and reattaching the strap in decent waves is a guaranteed swim sooner or later.

Has it locked before or is this new install?

If new install make sure the latch release is correct. Basically when you mounted the head (with the 2 Allen screws) make sure it goes on correctly. The silver safety latch release has a groove the head pushes down on, on page 9 in installation manual

If was working IDK
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

12. Member
    Lowrance is having me ship it to a service center to get fixed. Something is either missing or broke on the SS bracket that has the 2 arm clips than lock down the bolt.

13. Banned
    That sucks, hopefully they get it back to you quickly.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Lowrance is having me ship it to a service center to get fixed. Something is either missing or broke on the SS bracket that has the 2 arm clips than lock down the bolt.
    I know this is an old post, but what ended up being the solution? Mine is doing the same thing.
    '17 Skeeter ZX250 w/ Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss_my_bass View Post
    I know this is an old post, but what ended up being the solution? Mine is doing the same thing.
    Take a look at this part. Could be your issue. This is the part the lower unit rests on when the trolling motor is stored out of the water. If this is broken down in the mount where the latch goes it could mess with the latching of the motor. https://trollingmotorparts.com/lowra...earing-kit-47/

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright