Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Install Dexter Ez Flex & Wetbolts

Went ahead and replaced my bolts and equalizer this weekend. If you are considering this on a dual axle trailer let me share you my tips.

You need a large C Clamp. Found getting the bolts that go onto the frame to be difficult because the hangars would bow out when the factory bolt was removed. C Clamped them back to straight up and down helped, still a bit difficult though. And it may not be an issue on an older trailer. Use a clamp to help seat the bolts.

Also the C clamp helped on getting the shackles in place between the equalizer and leaf spring. By squeezing them into place.

Using an impact wrench on these bolts and nuts is not a good idea. Ended up stripping out one of the nuts trying to suck in one of the bolts. We decided to just use a socket.

We did install one of the shackles upside down, Leaf spring below the equalizer. Course this was our last wheel and did not pay attention. I was able to flip the shackle by taking the tire off and lowering the axle.

Having 4 jacks really helps. 2 floor jacks seems to be needed.
    Last edited by BMCD; 09-14-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Member
    Did you install the Dexter EZ Flex Suspension System or just the Equalizers?

Ez flex, the equalizer with a built in shock.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    Good info, I'm considering doing this as well. Did you purchase everything as a single kit? I'm looking at the dual axle 6,000lb kit, part #K71-652-00. Should that be everything I need?
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Thanks. Did you do a test "drive?" Noticeable difference?
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

No real test drive yet, having a custom wheel fitment issue. The original bushings were plastic and already tearing. I have pulled it out of the garage and so far no popping. But then again its all new.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I'll be interested to see if it's a noticeable difference on a long drive.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    I'll be interested to see if it's a noticeable difference on a long drive.
    If you haven't been around my posts on a 2015 z8 the short answer is yes there is a major improvement on pulling and tire ware
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Yep i'm going off what other's have told me.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    It's night and day difference with the Dexter kit VS stock suspension components. Plastic bushings belong on toys....not boat trailers.

Thanks all. I'm contemplating the upgrade too.
    2016 Nitro Z21

12. Member
    I used straps and another person to help get alignment correct. I also used a second jack to move them leafs around so they would line up correctly. It was definitely a PITA but I got it done. One side took me a couple hours. The other side was faster when I figured out all the little things. For long hauls I noticed a big difference but the biggest difference for me was backing up the boat at the ramp for the sharp turns. The nasty popping and sounds that used to come with it were completely gone. I have since traded my Z19 in for a Phoenix 721 and the guy who towed my boat to Weidas in KY from VT said it was quiet and rode great the entire way.
    Phoenix 2021 721 ProXP
    250 v8 ProXS SN#2B780777
    Lowrance HDS Lives

Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    Thanks all. I'm contemplating the upgrade too.
    I would simply jack up your trailer and pull a couple nuts off of shackles, no need to pull the bolt so it is easy to do not worried about alignment, and see the ovaled out shackles and you will see the reason to perform maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by 802spinnerbait View Post
    I used straps and another person to help get alignment correct. I also used a second jack to move them leafs around so they would line up correctly. It was definitely a PITA but I got it done. One side took me a couple hours. The other side was faster when I figured out all the little things. For long hauls I noticed a big difference but the biggest difference for me was backing up the boat at the ramp for the sharp turns. The nasty popping and sounds that used to come with it were completely gone. I have since traded my Z19 in for a Phoenix 721 and the guy who towed my boat to Weidas in KY from VT said it was quiet and rode great the entire way.
    I do agree one side took longer then the other. It not as easy as I thought, and I can't imagine doing it by yourself.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    I have several thousand miles on my updated Dexter shackles now - and have been nothing but pleased to have the popping/squeaking gone. Not sure yet about tire wear - haven't seen anything good or bad at this point - but the trailer does tow better IMO - big expansion joint bumps/small potholes/etc.

If/when I ever get another Nitro/Leaf spring style trailer this will be one of my first upgrades.

From this thread...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1070332

I completed the Port side - and like so many things doing the second side only took 1/3-1/2 the time but still was a little bit of a PITA - but not too bad.

A few things I learned #1 - Unload Suspension - be sure all of the springs/suspension are unloaded 100% - both sides. The first side I thought I had the opposite side off the ground and unloaded but didn't (at least not 100%). Having both sides unloaded makes wrestling everything around and lining things up (even with a little jack) much easier. #2 - Work on one section at a time. The first side I unbolted the center shackle and front spring bolt (leaving only the very rear bolt in place) - this made getting everything back together tough(this could have been related to #1). The Port side I unbolted/removed the Center shackle - then replaced it - leaving the very front and very rear bolts in place. Then did the same for rear bolt and finally the front bolts. This seemed to really help keep everything lined up. #3 - Dexter Kit - check the alignment/fitment of the dual bolt/shackle backplate pieces - 2 of the 4 that I had were slightly mis-aligned (once bolted up and torqued they will be perfectly aligned). This isn't a huge deal except if you don't know it and are leaned under the trailer sweating your ARSE off, cussing, pulling, blindly trying to get a nut to start on the shackle bolt! I pulled it apart and found they didn't line up while on my workbench - not radically off, just really tight and with the sharp metal edge if it isn't perfect they will not slide together. To increase, in-large the tolerance I used a step bit to slightly ease the front edge/lip of the end plate - allowing a little more room to slide the end plate in place.

Initial impressions - Squeaks - No question the squeaks on my trailer have been reduced by 95% - the only thing I can hear now (I think) are the leaf springs loading up and unloading. But overall - the noises are basically gone. Leaving my house/bump at end of driveway with the windows down I could actually hear the tires dragging/pushing on the pavement as I jackknifed the trailer leaving the driveway - which I have never heard before. Normally all I could hear was the clanking shackles. Worn Parts - I am very glad I swapped everything as the port side looked almost as bad from a wear perspective as the starboard side. For whatever reason the starboard side looked worse overall but one of the end plates on the port was almo
    st worn through.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

16. Member
    This topic should be pinned!

17. Member
    I know this is the nitro forum, but I put a "Wet Bolt Kit" on my Gambler trailer, and although not the sweet rubber cushioned Dexter upgrade, the brass bushings, and greasable bolts sound SO MUCH better when backing up, going slow etc. . .No more of those horrendous pops and bangs. At the very least, everyone should do the brass bushing kit. It's like $80-$100 and is worlds better.

For the price this is one of the top upgrades owners can do.
    2nd is the remote drain valve (Just because its cheap)
    3rd is Gatorbaks.
    IMO

Should have my new Gatorbaks next week.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Tire ware will not improve unless the original hard ware was damaged like mine was.

20. Member
    This was one of the best upgrades I have ever done to a trailer. The trailer rides smoother, bounces less, less feedback to the tow vehicle. All in all everything is better.

Only negative is do to the cushion on the ez flex the trailer sits lower and hits the fenders(fiberglass). I had to space up the fenders 1 full inch.

Again especially if you do lots of longer trips this is a upgrade for you!
    FE2B6C2F-594B-49EA-A277-ED46969C1DDE.jpeg
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast