ULTREX US2 Shorting Out/Power Surge?

Well, so far I am down 2 Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 Units and I think I've found the problem. Looking for confirmation or any other possibilities. Initially, I found my bow unit to be non-responsive when I went to turn it on. After checking fuses, switching units, confirming power to the bow etc., the unit was dead! Shipped the unit to Lowrance and paid the upcharge for another unit (they've been great btw). Put the new unit in the dash and moved the HDS9 Gen3 to the bow. Everything was working fine. Went to go out on the water, both Units were on and working and then . . . dropped the Ultrex TM in the water to put on spot lock . . . flicked the on-switch on the Ultrex . . . my Bow Unit flashed and died instantly, the unit was fried . . . before you ask, yes it had a 3 apm fuse in the BUS, it was blown also. After spending days thinking this through, I have decided there must've been a power surge coming back through the unit from the US2 on the Ultrex when I turned it on. The correlation of the unit going dead as soon as the Ultrex was turned on has to be confirmation of this. Additionally, the 3 amp fuse in the BUS was burnt out. The fuse worked properly so it should've protected the unit if the power surge was flowing from the BUS to the unit. My conclusion is the fuse protected my boat from the surge coming backwards through the US2? I will not use this US2 ever again, an inspection of it shows possible water compromise as the security torx screws are rusty. I removed the screws, pulled the US2 transducer out just enough for inspection, found the O ring to be completely dry rotted and signs of corrosion inside the US2 housing as well as wetness around the cable going into the transducer. On a positive note, I now have a HDS LIVE on the console and I thank the good Lord I didn't put it on the bow! BTW the cut-out for the HDS9 LIVE is "about 1/2" - 5/8" wider than the HDS9 Gen3" if your upgrading.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Power surge is virtually impossible on a battery system. Fuses don’t blow due to surges. The US2 fuse blows due to miswiring. You have a boat wiring problem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    If not an overload, possible short circuit?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptag View Post
    If not an overload, possible short circuit?
    No. Your electronics shouldn’t be hooked to any trolling motor power wires. Electronics should be on the cranking battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​