New Ranger z521L w/ 300 need help with max speed

I just bought a new 2021 Ranger z521L with the 300. It has a hydro jack plate and it came with the 23P Fury. I'm at 10 hrs and I've yet to get the RPM above 5200 or the speed above 55 mph. I am new to bass boats so it's probably user error. I need some help understanding where I should be setting the jack plate 1-20 and the trim 0-max. I am also wondering if this is the right prop given I can't get the RPMs above or even close to 6k let alone 6200. I am typically by myself, not a ton of tackle, I do have two 12' talons and my tank is usually pretty close to full. It's gets up on plane in around 2-3 seconds which did not seem bad. Not sure if this is a coincidence but when I measured the distance of the prop center to the ground and the bottom of the hull to the ground with the hydro jack set to 5 the difference was exactly 5 inches. So I have been aiming for about 14 which means the prop is about 2.75 " below the hull. I was told that was right for max speed. I trim to about 5-6 almost to the top it seems. Just seems odd I've never seen the MPH go north of 60 when I'm told this boat will go north of 70 easy. It's hot as heck in CA and I am testing in the Delta. Would really appreciate some advice on jackplate, trim or prop. See pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by grhodes674; 08-20-2020 at 11:03 AM.

2. Member
    Just a quick guess is that the throttle is not getting to 100%. Your boat should be 70 in the peak of summer. Dealer may need to hook it up to computer to confirm.

3. Member
    Nice rig.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Dealer should definitely check for max throttle. And if you have a hot foot, those are frequently out of adjustment. Computer hookup and the appropriate software required to make these adjustments.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Most rangers like P to P at 3.25 to 3.5 which is usually around 11 on the Atlas plate.

6. Member
    Thanks I had the same thought, added some pics of my hot pedal. Was going to try to shorten the limiter bolt as a first step.

7. Member
    Thanks yes according to my measurements 11=3.50 and 12=3.25

8. Member
    Adjusting the pedal stop and the idle stop without the software connected is not going to fix things. If your dealer doesn't know how to do it you will need to go someplace else. It wold help to know if you have the 300 PRO XS or 300R and which gear case you have.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

9. Member
    300 Pro XS, 1.75 gear ratio, and I just dropped it off today to have the dealer check the throttle and foot pedal.

10. Member
    I have found that every boat is a little different. I spent quite a bit of time finding the sweet spot. Try playing with your trim and plate settings but watch your water pressure. Also another way to gauge the motor height is watch your rooster...it typically is best when around the height of the motor..but that is not a given. Good luck

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grhodes674 View Post
    300 Pro XS, 1.75 gear ratio, and I just dropped it off today to have the dealer check the throttle and foot pedal.
    When set up correctly you may need to go to a 24 Fury when the weather cools. The Torquemaster on my boat likes to be at 4 on the tape on the jackplate and trim varies depending on load.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Am running a 2020 521L with 300 Merc. Running a 23 Fury 3, all holes open. No poles, 4 grp 31 batteries. That's the right prop. I usually run pretty light and in warm water will bump close to 6200 @ 75 MPH. Might get a little more in cool water with a tad more cup but I don't think it will spin a 24.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

13. Member
    Same issue, same RPM, albeit a 250. It was an issue with the hot foot setup and only getting 85% throttle.

14. Member
    I confirmed my hot foot was fine, 100% throttle on the computer. I went out today with the dealer who sold me the boat Angler's Marine in Anaheim, CA. They happened to be at an FLW tournament. They got up to 69/70 with two in the boat and super choppy 1.5-2' waves. He said it could do more but we were getting bounced around a bit. With the trim and jackplate all the way down the hole shot was even faster than I had seen, about 2 seconds. The biggest difference in how they were driving vs me at top speed was they raised the trim to nearly all the way to the top. He said go all the way up and then click down twice. I looked behind us and the rooster was not bad about engine height perhaps because he kept the jackplate all the way down. Anyway, I think in better conditions this boat will go faster but I was happy with 70 for today. As I said, probably user error.