Anyone or Seen the Ranger VX Models in person

Was curious if anyone runs or has seen the Ranger VX 1888 or 1788 in person. More I look at this boat in the catalog and on the website, the more I really like the layout. Love the ability to store rods on the bow with the hangers and tubes, wish more Deep Vs would offer this option. Really just like this layout a lot, especially with three kids. Problem is I have never seen one in person, nor do I see any for sale really anywhere, aside from a couple. Was wondering if anyone had experience with them or has seen them. They look very well laid out, just hoping to get some info on them overall.

Like you, I'm very interested in either a VX or VS model but seeing one in person has proved impossible unless I want to drive 500 miles or more. This is also true for Lund boats like the 1875 pro-v bass XS as well. Not too many of either brand sold here in NC or nearby states. Plus, Ranger no longer has the build your own function on their web site for any aluminum deep vee models.

Add this to the change in Ranger aluminum boat manufacturing location, and I'm leery about making a move now. Guess I'll hurry up and wait.
    Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 07-12-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

3. Member
    I know I said the same thing last night, I really like the VX models, but I do not like the direction that Ranger is headed with moving manufacturing to the Tracker facility and removing the Ranger Trail trailers.... You can count on prices staying the same, but quality diminishing.... Lund I really like, but man they are priced so high its hard to wrap my head around that. Not gonna get into pricing, but man those Pro V Bass are priced like a high end glass rig. Recently started lookin at the Alumacraft 205 Competitor. Again some really cool features on that VX line from Ranger, the rod storage on the bow deck with the tubes, the storage/livewell, fit/finish, glass consoles etc... Just a really nice boat from the pics.

4. Member
    I just bought a 2020 VX1788WT with a 175 Pro XS. I ordered the boat back in December 2019 and took delivery in mid May of this year. It took twice as long as I was quoted, getting status updates during that time was a complete joke, and it arrived on a tracker (ozark) trailer which was supposed to be a 2021 change, but I guess I got unlucky and they made the change at the end of the 2020 model year. My boat was made at the WRMG plant in Lebanon Missouri, which I was not told when I ordered the boat.. I even visited Flippin Arkansas for the fiberglass plant tour a month after I ordered my boat and the tour guide said that my model was being built at the Ranger aluminum plant just a mile away. I was told a month later that no, the aluminum deep v production was moved to Lebanon in December, the month I ordered the boat.

The structure of the boat seems very well made, and the materials used seem higher quality, but the QC at the Lebanon plant must be nonexistent. Paint is too thin in some areas, too thick in others, the floor panel over the gas tank was loose, it was missing a few items that were standard equipment, wrong USCG sticker, wiring was a complete rats nest, missing fasteners on the steering assembly at the console, leaking livewell, motor mounted too high, the list goes on and on. I fixed most of the little stuff myself and the dealer is getting the rest of the stuff taken care of right now. Will I ever order another Ranger boat? Probably not, but the dealer has been fantastic, and we do love the boat, the look, the ride, the layout, size, the storage, wide gunnels, aluminum floors, and all 1/8" (.125) thick, etc. There was just nothing else quite like it on the market. Hell, I'm 6'1" and I can lay across the floor and not touch either side with my head or feet!

We paid just under $43k with a tandem trailer and aluminum wheel upgrade & spare, 175 Pro XS, base electronics, and bow cushions. We didn't get any other options, no cover, no bimini, I bought those elsewhere.
    Last edited by MidwestBoater; 07-14-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBoater View Post
    I just bought a 2020 VX1788WT with a 175 Pro XS. I ordered the boat back in December 2019 and took delivery in mid May of this year. It took twice as long as I was quoted, getting status updates during that time was a complete joke, and it arrived on a tracker (ozark) trailer which was supposed to be a 2021 change, but I guess I got unlucky and they made the change at the end of the 2020 model year. My boat was made at the WRMG plant in Lebanon Missouri, which I was not told when I ordered the boat.. I even visited Flippin Arkansas for the fiberglass plant tour a month after I ordered my boat and the tour guide said that my model was being built at the Ranger aluminum plant just a mile away. I was told a month later that no, the aluminum deep v production was moved to Lebanon in December, the month I ordered the boat.

The structure of the boat seems very well made, and the materials used seem higher quality, but the QC at the Lebanon plant must be nonexistent. Paint is too thin in some areas, too thick in others, the floor panel over the gas tank was loose, it was missing a few items that were standard equipment, wrong USCG sticker, wiring was a complete rats nest, missing fasteners on the steering assembly at the console, leaking livewell, motor mounted too high, the list goes on and on. I fixed most of the little stuff myself and the dealer is getting the rest of the stuff taken care of right now. Will I ever order another Ranger boat? Probably not, but the dealer has been fantastic, and we do love the boat, the look, the ride, the layout, size, the storage, wide gunnels, aluminum floors, and all 1/8" (.125) thick, etc. There was just nothing else quite like it on the market. Hell, I'm 6'1" and I can lay across the floor and not touch either side with my head or feet!

We paid just under $43k with a tandem trailer and aluminum wheel upgrade & spare, 175 Pro XS, base electronics, and bow cushions. We didn't get any other options, no cover, no bimini, I bought those elsewhere.
    Is there an option to throw a kicker on? I looked at one on Bull Shoals last year and thought it was a nice setup but didn't have a kicker and I see the transom isn't setup so you can just drop one on you'd have to install a mount. I don't think I've seen one of these boats with a kicker yet come to think of it. I know its not an option on their website. Figured I'd ask someone who had one if they were told no its not allowed or what.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    Is there an option to throw a kicker on? I looked at one on Bull Shoals last year and thought it was a nice setup but didn't have a kicker and I see the transom isn't setup so you can just drop one on you'd have to install a mount. I don't think I've seen one of these boats with a kicker yet come to think of it. I know its not an option on their website. Figured I'd ask someone who had one if they were told no its not allowed or what.
    I had no interest in a kicker, but yeah, it doesn’t appear to be an option judging by the website or the brochure.

Here’s the issue, compare the Ranger to a Tracker Targa. It’s the exact same boat with the exact same warranty...but Tracker has cheaper carpet, wood decking, cheaper trailer rims, etc... But it’s the same boat for 6K less. Built in the same plant under the same ownership.

I do not think it is the same hull. And the floor alone would be worth 6k to me.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

The Tracker is rated for a 200hp with a kicker motor and the Ranger for a 175hp without a kicker. The floors on both have a lifetime warranty...so if the wood does rot on the Tracker in 10+ years it's covered. The difference in price is actually closer to $7K if you prefer a walk-thru windshield since Ranger now charges an extra $600 for a walk-thru windshield. Ranger has 4 pop-up cleats...Tracker has 6 pop-ups. The lengths are identical, same size fuel tank, same size live wells, both come with tandem axle trailers with a boarding step, same beam, same inside depth, same hull thickness, same weight capacity, etc..

Which models are we comparing? 2020 Targa 18 with which Ranger?
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    Which models are we comparing? 2020 Targa 18 with which Ranger?
    2021 Targa V18 combo to VX1788