Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on ordering boat

Does any of you do your own boat rigging? I'm wondering if I can order my next boat without electronics, TM, and PP and purchase them separately and do the rigging myself. Would it save any money?

Chris Prat

Never had a new boat without at least basic stuff...but have always rigged my own upgrades and trolling motors.
    Rigged my own PP in my last boat as well...those were super easy, anybody with basic mechanical skills and decent tools can install power poles.

3. Member
    I ordered my new boat with no trolling motor or electronics. Bought them all from a sponsor and rigged them myself. I don't trust hardly any boat dealer, and they few I do trust it's not worth it to me to pay their rates. It's not difficult work.

4. Member
    I’ve recently ordered a new boat and I’m using TM and electronics from previous boat and rigging myself. IMO it is worth it, but I’m also for sure, many will disagree.

5. Member
    Thanks guy.
    Yeah I can rig everything myself, just wondering if I would save any money by doing so.

6. Member
    Pretty sure you can save money doing it yourself, normally dealer will charge you pretty much MSRP for anything you buy unless you negotiate it up front. Of course he has to pay his help, so you’re going to have labor cost. Good thing about Rigging it yourself is you know it’s done right, plus you learn about your equipment and you know how it’s put together in case you ever need to repair. Your never going to get things put together the way you would do it yourself from shop labor, that’s about a guarantee.

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I thought that stuff was installed at the factory, or is it by brand?

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

8. Member
    I bought a new Weldcraft aluminum bass boat last year. I wired the Ultrex, Ultrex 360 and 3 Helix units, all fusing and cut off switches etc. if anything goes wrong it will be fairly easy to troubleshoot. No issues whatsoever. Oversized wiring does not hurt.

9. Member
    Get the boat spec’d with electronics and without.

I bet if you call bbg marine they could get you all set up w decent pricing on your electronics.

compare the two.

my bet is that you will order your boat bare bones...that is, stripped of its electronics including your trolling motor.

Only extra i had them install was the hot foot. I didn’t want to mess with connecting to the throttle etc.

10. Member
    Money can definitely be saved buying boat, motor, trailer and doing the rest yourself. Just depends how handy you are and how much you like doing it. The pros outweigh the cons in many ways as long as you do it right and that’s in more ways than money.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

11. Member
    It probably depends on the brand as far as how much money you might save. Some of the money take offs for stuff isnt near cost, although it may be for what they get it for. I ordered mine without electronics and did it all and will do it again if I order another one.

12. Member
    Boat Mfg with the package deals will be cheaper than you rigging yourself. The ones without don’t get the same pricing for most of that stuff and charge extra for the rigging because it’ll then be done at dealership. Skeeter, Phoenix, basscat, Nitro, etc will not give you near the credit you think to delete equipment from their packages.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Boat Mfg with the package deals will be cheaper than you rigging yourself. The ones without don’t get the same pricing for most of that stuff and charge extra for the rigging because it’ll then be done at dealership. Skeeter, Phoenix, basscat, Nitro, etc will not give you near the credit you think to delete equipment from their packages.
    That is true - deleting the factory tm and graphs from a package will not save you money. If you want whatever stuff it is they include, then you're probably best to get it and then rewire it later.

Most times, it seems we want better stuff than the factory package, so the question doesn't really have anything to do with realizing savings by deleting those items, but rather if it's better to have the dealer install the items you really do want, vs doing it yourself. Barring a physical or mental disability that would preclude you from doing the install, you will ALWAYS save money by getting your items from a sponsor and wiring it yourself vs paying msrp and getting "free install". Plus, as noted, you'll know where all the wires are and how it's rigged. This will make future modifications, and repairs, that much easier.

14. Banned
    Very informative thread. Not looking to buy a boat though but will pass it along if anybody mentions buying a boat to me.

15. Banned
    Of course you will save money. You are not paying labor hours for install or potential mark up on equipment.

16. Member
    I’m not mechanically gifted and I installed my electronics upgrades a few years ago. I think I would order new boat without them and install myself unless the dealer offered a super deal.
    Praying for a Cure

My experiences have been electronics come with a 1 year warranty if purchased outright. When added to a new boat purchase they come with a 2 year warranty.

18. Member
    If you are ordering a Ranger you can order the electronics shipped lose and you can rig them the way you want and get the 3 year warranty. If you back out the electronics, trolling motor its not a huge amount they delete. Believe me i have put figures to it all several times, let them rig or at lest let them send all options lose and you rig, you will not save that much money if any at all with them rigging.

19. Banned
    That's the way I got my Bullet... Engine and trolling motor mounted... I did the rest... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by pratt View Post
    Does any of you do your own boat rigging? I'm wondering if I can order my next boat without electronics, TM, and PP and purchase them separately and do the rigging myself. Would it save any money?

Chris Prat
    Basically how I order mine every other year. Rig my electronics and Power poles. At my dealer though they got someone who is really good, so I have let him do it the last 2 boats.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast