Minn Kota Intermittent Cuts off, New Ionic Battery?

Hey all,

Have a Minn Kota 24v Fortrex 74 lb and the last couple tournaments she’s been cutting off on me in the last couple hours. If i fish 5-6 hours pre-fishing no issues. 8+ hr tournament and it acts up. Will make a run and it’ll start working again for 10 min or so and cut off again. Recently installed an ionic 24v lithium. App says it’s putting out 26.7v which is normal per the manufacturer. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks for checking!

Jason

2. Member
    Check the voltage when it cuts off and get back to us.

As a theory, does it have auto resetting circuit breakers on it? The way any electrical device operates is Volts x Amps = Power. As your battery drops in voltage because it is discharging to hold the same amount of power it must increase the amount of amps being sent to the load (Trolling Motor). So let's say first thing in the morning you have the trolling motor running on 4 and as the day goes on and the voltage decreases to maintain the same thrust you keep easing up on the trolling motor's knob to say 7 or 8 it is pulling more current. The breaker does not trip on voltage or watts, it trips on current draw or amperage. So as the day goes on and the voltage drops and the amperage increases you may be bumping the limit on the circuit breaker which if it is an auto reset type in a few seconds it will reset and let the motor go again.

3. Member
    Thanks for the quick reply Skip.

It’s in the garage for a bit before my next trip and the trolling motor isn’t working at all now. The breaker going from the battery is a 50 amp manual reset gray cube (Can’t recall the make but has two prongs and is on the hot wire). I read just a couple hours ago minn Kota runs on 60 amp maybe that’s my problem...?

4. Member
    Is there another breaker between the 2 batteries on the jumper wire?

5. Member
    The Ionic Battery is a single 24V battery. I don’t see any more breakers or fuses in between the battery and trolling motor

6. Member
    Order a 60 amp blue seas breaker

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    Check the voltage when it cuts off and get back to us.

As a theory, does it have auto resetting circuit breakers on it? The way any electrical device operates is Volts x Amps = Power. As your battery drops in voltage because it is discharging to hold the same amount of power it must increase the amount of amps being sent to the load (Trolling Motor). So let's say first thing in the morning you have the trolling motor running on 4 and as the day goes on and the voltage decreases to maintain the same thrust you keep easing up on the trolling motor's knob to say 7 or 8 it is pulling more current. The breaker does not trip on voltage or watts, it trips on current draw or amperage. So as the day goes on and the voltage drops and the amperage increases you may be bumping the limit on the circuit breaker which if it is an auto reset type in a few seconds it will reset and let the motor go again.
    Iconic lithium batteries run constant voltage until it’s dead. What is the battery life percentage when it’s cuts off?
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

8. Member
    You've got a single 24v battery? How many amp hours?