Overheating problem

I have a 2006 Yamaha 200 on my Stratos. I’m having a problem with overheating at idle. Took it out of winterization put it on muffs let it run and it throws a overheat alarm in a couple minutes. At that point it did not have a water stream so I just did the water pump now I have a stream not very strong but have one. I cleaned the poppet valve and thermostats neither of which looked bad by any means. So I’m stuck I have a water stream and overheat alarm doesn’t make sense. Any help would be much appreciated

2. Member
    When installing the new water pump, did you make sure the fins were oriented in the correct direction? When pushing the housing on, you have to make sure to turn the drive shaft clockwise. Around 25:20 the guy in this video explains what to do well. If they are folded incorrectly then you will get a weak stream, and not enough flow to properly cool. Another thing to check is that the bushing that clicks into the housing is installed (the one that the motor's tube goes into). I have done a water pump and housing, and didn't put the bushing on and had the same symptoms.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie7644 View Post
    I have a 2006 Yamaha 200 on my Stratos. I’m having a problem with overheating at idle. Took it out of winterization put it on muffs let it run and it throws a overheat alarm in a couple minutes. At that point it did not have a water stream so I just did the water pump now I have a stream not very strong but have one. I cleaned the poppet valve and thermostats neither of which looked bad by any means. So I’m stuck I have a water stream and overheat alarm doesn’t make sense. Any help would be much appreciated
    I have NEVER got an alarm on my 01 while on the water, however, I have got the alarm once after about 5 minutes on the muffs at idle. Not enough volume to properly cool I suspect. No more muffs for me. Take it to a ramp, back it in and see what it does then?
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

4. Member
    I 2nd what Thamleau said at the end of his comment above. When I first got my rig, the prior owner was having that same issue (overhead at idle) and I inherited it. After a LOT of debugging, the bushing that Thamleau mentioned,where the tube enters the housing, was not installed by whoever had done the prior job. I later discovered that this bushing is NOT included in the water pump kit (silly) for my motor. I ordered and added that bushing and the problem went away.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2010 Yamaha 250 SHO
    10in Atlas Hydraulic, 10ft PP blades