Merc Tilt / Trim Cylinder Crack: Repair Tips?

So, I have a 1994 Ranger Sport R70 with a 1994 Mercury 115hp 2 Stroke. There is a crack in the tilt/trim cylinder, and I have a new one along with a new set of gaskets on the way. Can anyone offer any advice? I cannot find a video or thread online anywhere regarding replacing the cylinder itself, everything is either the pistons or trim motors. I am not mechanically incompetent but I am hesitant to mess something up, I have no experience with repair on marine engines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Dang, that thing is really cracked!! If that was the only one in the world, and there were no tig welders, I'd shoot it with carburetor cleaner without internal pressure on the cylinder, until it was perfectly clean. Then I'd heat it gently with a torch and pour super glue in the wound. Then I'd tighten about 4 or 5 radiator clamps around it as tight as I could get them, and leave them on it. If the cylinder is not round on the outside that won't work. Probably wouldn't anyhow.
    Hydraulic systems can have up to 3000 PSI normally but in that case the pressure is static, not under constant boost so it might work. I have no idea how that was caused unless the ram was driven to its limit and the boost pump was left on.
    Might not be any easy fixes.

3. Member
    Sometimes trim and tilt assemblies are captive between the two halves of the motor mount, and the motor has to be lifted slightly to disassemble the mount and change them. Most any marine fastener will be stainless steel or passivated steel, sometimes they are installed with Loctite, marine grade.
    We do have a Mercury motor segment on the list of forums, lot of good Merc mechanics there.
    Mercury Motors

(29 Viewing)

For discussions related to "Stock" Mercury motors.