2019 Ranger RT188 - What trailer brakes brand\size does Ranger use?

I recently purchased a 2019 Ranger RT188. I would like to purchase a trailer brake kit for it since this option was not part of the boat. I am open to aftermarket or OEM brakes. Do you guys know what trailer brakes Ranger uses or do you have a recommendation for a specific kit you have found to be good? After looking at the trailer it looks like its ready to accept (has brackets on hubs) whatever brake kit Ranger would have put on it if the option was selected.

Thank you in advance.

Thomas
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

I would contact Ranger to find out what they use. Do you think you need brakes for that rig?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I would contact Ranger to find out what they use. Do you think you need brakes for that rig?
    Not for pulling with my 2018 Tacoma truck but I have a 1985 VW Westfalia Vanagon for camping which has been heavily modified to include a Subaru 2.5 with custom subi 5 speed trans, all new pre-runner style suspension and disc brakes all around. It pulls the boat with zero issue but given the vans narrow size and taller height I want to give the Van all the advantages it can have.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
    Not for pulling with my 2018 Tacoma truck but I have a 1985 VW Westfalia Vanagon for camping which has been heavily modified to include a Subaru 2.5 with custom subi 5 speed trans, all new pre-runner style suspension and disc brakes all around. It pulls the boat with zero issue but given the vans narrow size and taller height I want to give the Van all the advantages it can have.
    Ok...this post requires photos of the VW. I had a ‘68 VW camper van back in the day. Yours sounds sick.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Ok...this post requires photos of the VW. I had a ‘68 VW camper van back in the day. Yours sounds sick.
    I love being able to camp and bring my boat anytime. :)

Vanboat.jpg
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

If you're going to install surge brakes, you know that you'll have to heavily modify the trailer tongue, right? Frankly, if I felt that I MUST have brakes, rather than doing all of the installation and required trailer tongue modifications, I'd buy a new trailer. The only other option is electric brakes and they're not great for boat trailers that are being continuously backed into the water.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    If you're going to install surge brakes, you know that you'll have to heavily modify the trailer tongue, right? Frankly, if I felt that I MUST have brakes, rather than doing all of the installation and required trailer tongue modifications, I'd buy a new trailer. The only other option is electric brakes and they're not great for boat trailers that are being continuously backed into the water.
    Those are some good points thank you. I am contacting EZ Loader tomorrow since they make this trailer to see what options I have. Hopefully there is a reasonable path for me here.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

8. Member
    Those are some good points thank you. I am contacting EZ Loader tomorrow since they make this trailer to see what options I have. Hopefully there is a reasonable path for me here.
    Did you ever get this figured out? I have a 2019 and would like to add as well
    2019 Ranger rt188c
    115 pro xs ct
    Ulterra 24v ipilot link
    bird helix 9 gen2 mega console
    bird helix 10 gen3 mega bow
    spyderlok r100 rod holders
    spyderlok r300 transport

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjeepjk View Post
    Did you ever get this figured out? I have a 2019 and would like to add as well

So unfortunately my boat developed a crack down the stringer and ran from a little over mid-way to the back of the transom. Insurance totaled the boat and I recently purchased a Bass Cat Sabre FTD. This setup has surge brakes on the tandem axle trailer.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Jeff, could you elaborate on the tongue modifications required for surge brakes?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Jeff, could you elaborate on the tongue modifications required for surge brakes?
    The tongue is where the surge components go so your original tongue is removed and the surge setup is put into place. This doesnt include the work to get the brakes installed and linkage and such. I think if you worked with a trailer dealer you could save a lot of time and money. Here is a link to a guy who sells boat trailers. You may ask who buys just the trailer? Well when my boat got totaled the insurance company only wanted the boat and motor so I have a trailer I really dont need LOL. Its one use case where these dealer buy and resell them. https://www.budsmotorsports.com/home
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

12. Member
    The tongue is where the surge components go so your original tongue is removed and the surge setup is put into place. This doesnt include the work to get the brakes installed and linkage and such. I think if you worked with a trailer dealer you could save a lot of time and money. Here is a link to a guy who sells boat trailers. You may ask who buys just the trailer? Well when my boat got totaled the insurance company only wanted the boat and motor so I have a trailer I really dont need LOL. Its one use case where these dealer buy and resell them. https://www.budsmotorsports.com/home
    What about bolt-on actuators?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    What about bolt-on actuators?
    I do it know much about that.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

14. Member
    I do it know much about that.
    Every trailer supply store sells them, they replace the coupler. You cut off (if welded) or unbolt the coupler and bolt on the actuator. Running the lines and installing the brakes is easy.