Shimano Curado 70HG drag problem

I bouhgt a couple Curado reels at the beginning of the year, on one of the reels the drag keeps loosening by itself, not when I'm fighting a fish, but when not in use. By this, I mean, at the beginning of the day I check every drag on the po9le I pick up, so on this reel, I tighten the drag a little more then norm, then later on when I pick it back up, cast it, then check the drag again, it completley loose as a goose, it will happen more then once in a day. Anyone ever come across a problem like this, and there is anything I can do? Maybe just call Shimano?

2. Member
    Always have to ask first, is it spooled with braid straight to the spool?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tywithay View Post
    Always have to ask first, is it spooled with braid straight to the spool?
    had that problem with spinning reel until friend told me to add few loops of mono. After that, add the braid line to your preference.

My tournament partner has a couple Quantums that act like that. He's lost a few fish because the drag is loose when he sets the hook. He's mystified at how the drags loosen by themselves. The only thing that he says makes sense is that the drags loosen from the vibration that happens when towing. Once he adjusts the drag, he's good for the rest of the day. But, the next trip out, the drag will be loose again.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    I don't do it but always read you should loosen drag on reels after each day of fishing and then tighten on next trip.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

vibration on deck can do it on some reels. I personally have not seen in 70 but doesnt mean its not. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

7. Member
    I have three 70HG's and have never experienced the drag loosening on its own

8. Member
    I have a new one that is doing same thing. Has cost me a few fish!

9. Member
    Any update on this thread? I had a handful of reels I just haven’t put to use yet and a couple of cu k 70s on deck. Recently set the hook on 2 pounder and felt the spool spin…luckily was just fishing for fun but has anyone had continued issues? I have another one but didn’t feel like it slipped… had 2 rigged with same apps with different rods to see which I liked better but don’t think it the rod aided in any slip on the spool, although it is slightly softer tipped. I was just curious after google helped me out on this… thanks

Using braid?

HERE IS A UPDATE..... I lost a very good fish in a tournament a couple weeks ago because of this happening again (and I check my drag constantly all day because of the issue) I took that reel, and my 2 others off the rods, and (NO JOKE) threw ALL three in the river. If you want them they are free, just have to find them on the bottom of the James river with the fish...LOL I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SPINNING REEL FROM SHIMANO AGAIN.

So,,,,stupid question….what does a spinning reel have to do with any of this? I suspect your line was slipping on the spool as this reel has had literally no issues. Why do I say this? Due to temp changes through the am and pm. Dan

13. Member
    Just threw them in the river. Calling BS on that one

3 reels doing the same thing... No the line was not slipping on the spool. Just spoke to a buddy of mine, his are currently doing the same shit.

Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    So,,,,stupid question….what does a spinning reel have to do with any of this? I suspect your line was slipping on the spool as this reel has had literally no issues. Why do I say this? Due to temp changes through the am and pm. Dan

LMAO. Call it what you want, but that's 100% true. Thats how much they pissed me off over the last months.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Just threw them in the river. Calling BS on that one

16. Member
    Having the same issue with a couple of these 70’s as well. Anyone figure out a fix or cause?
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

17. Member
    Is this the 70 MGL version we are talking about? Curious, as I'm considering a new one of those.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich196 View Post
    HERE IS A UPDATE..... I lost a very good fish in a tournament a couple weeks ago because of this happening again (and I check my drag constantly all day because of the issue) I took that reel, and my 2 others off the rods, and (NO JOKE) threw ALL three in the river. If you want them they are free, just have to find them on the bottom of the James river with the fish...LOL I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SPINNING REEL FROM SHIMANO AGAIN.
    In your original post you said that you were having problems with Curado 70HG drag slipping which is a baitcaster and in your update you said the slipping drag cost you a good fish in a tournament so you took that reel and two others and disposed of them in the river. You said you will never buy another spinning reel from Shimano. Why would you not buy a Shimano spinning reel when your problems were with a baitcaster? Maybe I'm just confused.