Heartbroken on a 202

Im hoping my pictures load correctly... but I went to look at a "to good to be true" 1995 202 champion. After reading through this forum and taking along my friend who has more boat experience we concluded that this boat has a rotten transom. I'd like your guys opinion on the cracks we found in the splash well along with the brown streaks coming out of the Jack plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    You were smart to take a friend with you. The brown streaks is a clear indication that the transom has water in it. It is highly likely that the transom is shot. Now if the seller is willing to work with you, find a reputable shop in the area to assess the issue is an option.

3. Member
    I'll probably contact the seller again today but when we mentioned our concern with the transom he just got defensive saying it was rock solid and he wasn't going to start drilling holes in it to prove it to us. Think I'm just going to move on from this one and continue the hunt.

It's wet. The plastic drain tubes are crap. Go find another rig.

5. Banned
    What are the odds of finding a 25 year old boat that doesn’t need fixing, bound for be slim. Was the boat a decent price or too high? Everyone here can tell you how much a new transom will cost.

The bottom around the drain plugs does look pretty rough too though, are those chips in the gel or silicone smeared all over?

6. Member
    List price was 10k firm, right at the top of my budget. There was plenty of work to be done like carpet, some loose wiring, few chips on the underside of the boat, nothing I wasn't expecting for a '95. That stuff around the drain plugs was a bunch of silicon slapped on...

7. Member
    Transom rebuild done right will be @ $4k. I know I had mine done last year!!

8. Member
    Based on your budget and the fact that the seller is firm I would walk away. Keep an eye out on facebook & craigslist and you will eventually find one.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    Based on your budget and the fact that the seller is firm I would walk away. Keep an eye out on facebook & craigslist and you will eventually find one.

yep, these money pits get expensive quickly!

10. Member
    Yea we didn't even have him fire up the motor... my wife would kill me if I brought home a project boat!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzd3 View Post
    That stuff around the drain plugs was a bunch of silicon slapped on...
    That is your sign. Buy it right or move on.
    GETFISHED !!!

12. TJNYSNP
    You better be careful. I hope you understand that a 25 year old boat that has bolts brown drippings probably has the ENTIRE stringer system in jeopardy and rotted out.

Please take a cold shower and shake out of the taste of this boat and wake up.... my bet is the entire boat is rotted out. Look at the rebuild link just down a bit and see the rot in that boat that has MUCH LESS signs than yours has that you want to buy.

I think you are crazy buying that boat honestly.... sorry..... just think u need to take a deep breath and keep shopping.

Look at the termites in this boat...... could be this boat you are looking at: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1034184

don't count the thumbs up "rah rah" comments by champion owners and lull yourself into thinking that this is a good deal.

Unless you are entirely handy or have deep pockets.. walk away... u want to fish, not be in a demolishing and restructuring project for 2 years.

I know i sound arrogant but this could be the worst purchase of your life dude if you don't walk away or get a full inspection which is impossible to do with such an old boat.

13. Member
    Keep your head up man! The right 202 will come along...be patient you will find it

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    You better be careful. I hope you understand that a 25 year old boat that has bolts brown drippings probably has the ENTIRE stringer system in jeopardy and rotted out.

Please take a cold shower and shake out of the taste of this boat and wake up.... my bet is the entire boat is rotted out. Look at the rebuild link just down a bit and see the rot in that boat that has MUCH LESS signs than yours has that you want to buy.

I think you are crazy buying that boat honestly.... sorry..... just think u need to take a deep breath and keep shopping.

Look at the termites in this boat...... could be this boat you are looking at: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1034184

don't count the thumbs up "rah rah" comments by champion owners and lull yourself into thinking that this is a good deal.

Unless you are entirely handy or have deep pockets.. walk away... u want to fish, not be in a demolishing and restructuring project for 2 years.

I know i sound arrogant but this could be the worst purchase of your life dude if you don't walk away or get a full inspection which is impossible to do with such an old boat.
    Didn’t read his post all the way huh.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    Keep your head up man! The right 202 will come along...be patient you will find it
    Im actually feeling good that we were able to identify the issues and pass on it. So I'm feeling positive about my future boat purchase! Just need to find the right one...

16. Member
    is that's the one on facebook?
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 PolarKraft TX 195 Pro
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishjn69 View Post
    is that's the one on facebook?
    Yes it is

18. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzd3 View Post
    Im actually feeling good that we were able to identify the issues and pass on it. So I'm feeling positive about my future boat purchase! Just need to find the right one...
    I've missed one or two for various reasons over the years and there's always been a better deal show up. There's a gem out there somewhere with your name on it.