Question Small play in steering wheel - 2007 Elite 200

Hey gang. I believe I need to pop the center cap off and tighten my wheel??? Is that possible??? And is that how I can fix?

There is a little play in it front to back....not left to right . Steering is still perfect.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fishthenation; 11-20-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Taking center cap off gives access to the nut that secures steering wheel, unless your sw is lose, tightening the nut wont help. But it will allow you to inspect the steering housing. There's a couple bolts in the housing that can work lose over time. They're a little tricky to get to.

The other thing could be air in line. Most of them have a small amount of play to start with.

3. Member
    Just checked my 2006 198. I have the same play. If you hold the steering wheel at 3 & 9 or 6 & 12 and rock the steering wheel like a Tetter totter, up and down, there is play as if the nut is loose. It is not the nut. If you look behind the steering wheel hub you can see a knuckle that has the play in it. I do not know if that is normal for the tilt steering wheel assembly or not.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. Member
    Looks like you have a tilt steering wheel, there is a part that tilts up and down that can come loose. I tightened mine with an allen wrench.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Could be slop in your seastar needing bleed?
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Hey guys. I popped the cap off. Used Allen wrench to pull out all screws. That main bolt is tight. The screws are all tight. In looking behind the steering wheel under the black rubber accordian like cover, I don't see anything to tighten:-(. I do have play left/right which I believe I've always had. But front to back, I don't remember ever having. My steering is normal, and feed back from motor turning left/right normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the housing moving where it is bolted to the console? On mine, there are two Philips head screws that secure the steering mechanism together. I had to take it apart to reach the screws.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishthenation View Post
    Hey guys. I popped the cap off. Used Allen wrench to pull out all screws. That main bolt is tight. The screws are all tight. In looking behind the steering wheel under the black rubber accordian like cover, I don't see anything to tighten:-(. I do have play left/right which I believe I've always had. But front to back, I don't remember ever having. My steering is normal, and feed back from motor turning left/right normal.
    Unless you have excessive play to the point of affecting your vessel control, from the look of your pictures, you have a tilt steering wheel, which over time from up and down can wear the teeth or mechanism plus pulling yourself up creates a very small amount of play. That can even happen on vehicle with high miles or sports car that are difficult getting out of while using the wheel as leverage.
    My '02 Cobra has had very little play if steering grabbed top and bottom and moved, but it has been constant. If you are concerned, keep track of it for any increase in the play you are feel, and definitely have it looked at by an expert if it do get bad to the point of affecting your steering control.

9. Member
    Did you ever figure anything out on this issue? I have the same thing on my 07 200

10. Member
    That's normal.