Thread: 721 or Z21

GTB

721 or Z21

Trying to decide between getting my first Phoenix. It’s a 2013 721XP with a 250Merc. Or a 2009 Z21 with a 2014 E-Tec 250. Just looking for opinions. Mostly asking about the difference in the boats I’ve always had Ranger so I know what to expect but never had a Phoenix. 400 hrs. on Merc 150 on E-Tec.

2. Member
    It’s pretty subjective both are good boats. Ranger has a wider deck little more storage space. Phoenix is a lot faster, will corner better, sits lower to the water, and my bias opinion lands softer and is a dryer ride. To me the 721 just does everything really well.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

3. Member
    Get the 721 !

4. Member
    I moved from a 2005 Z21 into a 2016 721. I'll agree with what A.J. said. The Ranger definitely fishes bigger, has more storage, and the fit/finish. The Phoenix is a workhorse, it may not have all the bells/whistles of other boats but its built for fishing. I did like the cooler and daybox(size and location) in the front deck of the ranger. I also prefer a single center locker over a split locker. The livewells also sat closer to the seats which made for easier access/culling. The Phoenix has serviceable switch panels, single fuel tank compared to dual tanks in the Ranger, true dual livewells where Ranger was a split single. Phoenix deck is narrower but I don't notice it now that I'm used to it. Phoenix will have my future business solely based on their customer service, I've had nothing but the best so far.
    Sean
    2016 Phoenix 721
    Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    I am a little partial to the mercury as well. Both will be great boats.

6. GTB
    Thanks guys for honest opinions

7. Member
    721 is a awesome boat and fished from it over 4years and loved it... then went with a 921 and enjoyed it more.... I would go with a used 921.... have no knowledge of z21

8. GTB
    Thanks guys

If for any other reason I'd stear away from the 09 Ranger because of the rail latching system. I had one. It's getting harder and harder to find replacement parts for them.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Member
    That ETEC has fewer hours because the Ranger rides too rough to run it to another spot

11. Member
    721 will ride and run better. Z21 will fish a lot better with the trolling motor down with a lot more room up front. I would never own a boat with an etec though.

12. Member
    I think the 721 fishes as good as a ranger. I agree, stay away from Etec! No one where I live to work on them!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    I think the 721 fishes as good as a ranger. I agree, stay away from Etec! No one where I live to work on them!

Not even close. 721 is much narrower and shorter up front and blows around a bit more.

14. GTB
    I have to admit I was leaning heavily towards Phoenix but I am seeing more and more complaints about their trailers. I mean it’s an unusual amount of people that have issues with their trailers. And the last thing I want is a problem on the road, as we all know that’s a real pain in the ass.

I had major issues with my Ranger trailer. Welds cracking at the axles. Ranger shipped me new axles and I had to replace them. Look it up on the Ranger page. There were a lot of issues. I can't speak for the current models but cracked axle welds is major compared to the nuisance issues with Phoenix trailers. Not to mention the fenders started coming loose.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

16. Member
    Really depends on how much money you have to spend for each. Both will be great boats. I currently have a 2014 721 Prox XP with a 250 E-tech and I love the boat and motor. TheE-tech is strong! Came out of a 2009 Bass Cat Puma with a 250 Merc Pro XS. Also loved it. The quality in the Bass Cat boat and their trailer I think beats anyone's rig. Always had Bullets w/ Mercury's before that. IMO, if money is about the same or close, I would go with the Ranger/E-Tech combo. Especially if you have a good technician fairly close by. The Pheonix trailer I have also had the Gatorhyde start bubbling up on the fender and allowed water to get trapped under it and the checker plate. Caused a mess that I had to fix.

17. Member
    Oh yeah, one more thing. If speed is a factor, you'll be lucky to get high 60's with the Ranger. Mid 70's with the Pheonix. If you like the extra speed, the other factors (trailer, front deck size, cheap carpet,etc,) will all become very minor on the Pheonix.

18. Member
    If you want speed, go with the Phoenix. If you want a stable fishing platform, go with the Ranger. The differences in trailer, etc. have been covered.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HTC33 View Post
    If you want speed, go with the Phoenix. If you want a stable fishing platform, go with the Ranger. The differences in trailer, etc. have been covered.
    You forgot the Phoenix riding better part.

I have been thrilled with my trailer - it tows beautifully and the boat sits lower than most so easy access.