Suggestions? - Helix 9 and 10 placement

I recently purchased a boat with a Helix 10, SI, G2N on the console, linked to an Ulterra Trolling motor equipped with iPilot Link. I have a Helix 9, SI, G2N from my previous boat. If it was yours, how would you rig this boat?

Looking for ideas and suggestions.

2. Member
    It's an opinion question, so here's mine. I'd put the 10 on the bow and the 9 on the console. when you're setting in the driver's seat and your close to it the 9 will look as big as a 10, and when you're on the front deck fishing and not so close to the 10 it will look like a 9. I would network it all together so I could share waypoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuel View Post
    It's an opinion question, so here's mine. I'd put the 10 on the bow and the 9 on the console. when you're setting in the driver's seat and your close to it the 9 will look as big as a 10, and when you're on the front deck fishing and not so close to the 10 it will look like a 9. I would network it all together so I could share waypoints.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    It is an opinion question, and those are what I am looking for! Otherwise I'd just throw the units on the boat and never consider what others might already have figured out!

My plan was to put the 10 at the console as it will likely run maps and imaging. I hadn't considered your thoughts on perspective! Best part is they both already have RAM mounts, so moving them is easy! I was also planning on networking them, but it is good to see that recommendation anyway!

Stating how easy it will be to move the units made me realize I should have been a little more detailed. What I am looking for is ideas on the details of the installation. for example, the Trolling motor is equipped with the US2 transducer. I currently have (2) SI transducers. I've considered two configurations.
    1. Leave one on the transom and put the other on the trolling motor.
    2. connect the bow Helix to the US2 and put both SI transducers on the transom on either side of the outboard (left/right configuration).

I plan on adding a high speed transducer as well, either on the transom or an Alumaducer under the deck. I had no luck get the SI to read on plane in my previous boat, so I am assuming it won't on this one. This additional transducer creates cabling questions with option 2...

Keep the opinions coming - it is what I asked for!

Imaging is an idle speed or slower function, always has been regardless of the craft.

Using your trolling motor type is an issue with transducer cable management for a transducer on the bottom of the motor.

Also sharing Imaging from the other end of the boat is the least effective use of Imaging. That is why there are Minnkota motors with built-in MEGA Down Imaging transducers and built-in Side Imaging transducers.

Splitting the SI piezos between two transducers is usually done because it has to be done to get side clearance for the SI pulses---do you HAVE to?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    I would mount one transducer on the bottom of the trolling motor if that's possible, I'm not familiar with your trolling motor. I really like si on the bow.

I'm to slow at typing, guess my idea wont work.
    Last edited by Kenfuel; 04-13-2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added last sentenence

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuel View Post
    I would mount one transducer on the bottom of the trolling motor if that's possible, I'm not familiar with your trolling motor. I really like si on the bow.

I'm to slow at typing, guess my idea wont work.
    Yes it will work, that is why there are third party cable management systems for electric steer motors--- Powerdrive, Ulterra, Terrova, Xi3, Xi5, etc.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Imaging is an idle speed or slower function, always has been regardless of the craft.

Using your trolling motor type is an issue with transducer cable management for a transducer on the bottom of the motor.

Also sharing Imaging from the other end of the boat is the least effective use of Imaging. That is why there are Minnkota motors with built-in MEGA Down Imaging transducers and built-in Side Imaging transducers.

Splitting the SI piezos between two transducers is usually done because it has to be done to get side clearance for the SI pulses---do you HAVE to?
    I agree that imaging is for slow speeds, that is why I am looking toward a high speed transducer. I should clarify that in the past I have been unable to maintain even a depth reading on plane with the SI transducer.

Regarding the dual SI on the transom, the motor definitely blocks the the view to the port side. Of course if you trim the motor up, it can "see" past it. This rig seams to require more trim up to get a clear view. More testing will be needed to be sure if I "need to" or not.

9. Member
    Wayne P and Kenfuel - Thank you both!

I originally thought to put the transducer on the TM, but that started to question how the that would work as the iPilot was used to follow contour lines. It is this curiosityy that lead me to realize, what else have I not thought of? Hence this post.

I've spent a number of hours reviewing posts and watching YouTube videos on these subjects, but decided it was time to stop being a troll, and engage with others. If nothing else you guys have provided me with evidence that my hours reading and viewing have not been in vane.

And I am still open to ideas...