Axiom 7RV impressions

So i finally got around to buying this, even after its been out for a couple years now. I already have an Element 7 and I really like it, but the touchscreen and wifi on the Axiom was interesting me.

First off, the unit and RV transducer are WEIGHTY. This is clearly designed for saltwater applications, with a big transducer that uses BIG stainless hardware. This combo is heavier than the Element's.

After rigging it up for use on my kayak on my local shallow river (up to 40ft) it was time to tune it. The xdcr doesnt seem "picky" when it comes to 100% correct installation, as it worked well right off the bat.

I knew my Element liked to be fine-tuned and this Axiom is no different. I dont like "Auto" settings on any of my units, but these Raymarines HAVE to be fine-tuned in my opinion. And this touchscreen made that much easier than with the Element. I spent at least 3 hours fine-tuning and still have more to do.

The results so far are a mixed bag. At only 350khz I knew the imaging would lack a little in shallow conditions, and it did. Perhaps a bit better than Garmin's 260khz, but I need more time to verify that. The 2d was as expected....excellent.

3d takes time to tune. I like it to mirror what 2d shows and this means multiple runs over fish and structure while tuning.

The imaging pics represent some of the better ones I achieved. This thing WILL give some detail when the range is set low. The river was still running high and muddy, though.

The 3d shows how it can enhance what 2d is telling you by showing a wider view and location in the water column.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    some sidescan pics on the St Lawrence River.
    pic 4 shows a transition from sand to weeds.
    2-3ft waves this day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    When you are finished with your tuning and have used it enough, would love to hear your recommendation between the Axiom and the Element. I like the features of the Axiom (touchscreen/Apps/WiFi) but also love the idea of the Element’s Hypervision. I think Raymarine should consider offering the Axiom with Hypervision.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    My impressions are already what you mentioned. The Element has HV, but the Axiom has touchscreen.

Since i was already taking a Humminbird Mega, the Axiom’s touchscreen won out on my trip.

In hindsight I wish i had ordered either one with a c-map card since i already have the Navionics app on my phone.