Champion 210 to FXR21 rough water ride?

I’m considering purchasing a new boat this year. Can anyone give me a rough water ride comparisons between a Champion 210 and the new Fxr 21. Thanks

2. Member
    Hey Agpilot...Hopefully I can shed a little light on the subject for ya. My tournament fishing partner has a 210 elite and I recently bought a FXR 21. He recently re-powered his boat with a Mercury 250 4 stroke and of course the Skeeters have the 250 SHO. All of that to say, I honestly feel like you will be pleasantly surprised with the ride and feel of the FXR. Champion Boats are time tested and proven, but this new Skeeter Hull is pretty dang awesome. Everyone knows that the Champion is a BEAST when it comes to rough water, but so far I have been really pleased with how the FXR performance hull has been in rough water (3 footers...nothing bigger than that so far this year). I can tell you this, my partner said he would have no problem with buying an FXR and running one!

Just curious, have there been any updates on the rough water ride perception of the FXR? Ken Smith’s review of the FXR in 2020 really hurt the perception out there. I just sold my 21i and was going to drop some serious cash on a FXR but I’m on the fence now. What I loved about the 21i is I could trim all the way down and the nose was always stable and where it needs to be.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex
    Helix 15/ Helix 12 / Garmin 1222 / LS34 Livescope

Jer. 33:3

4. Member
    The guy I got my 21i from last year bought the FXR21. I have not been in it or fished with him. I know he fishes the bay, and sturgeon bay (Great Lakes). When I came to pick up the boat he showed me all around the new boat. It’s beautiful looking rig that’s for sure. To keep it simple he said he had it out twice at that time. He loved it, but he did say the ride is not the I boat. He said it was good, and he would learn to adjust to the new ride. I really got the impression that it not much lower.

I know you were asking about the champion, but the 21I is very close in ride I believe.

5. Member
    They are bass boats.

There is no such thing as a good riding bass boat.

Only bad riding bass boats, and real bad riding bass boats.

Skeeter driver my self for over 20 years. Lots of things to consider rather than how bad the ride is.

I’ve been in some rough stuff on these Texas lakes and always have felt safe in the I-class. Never speared a wave in one. I’ve owned 2 tritons, 1 stratos, and 3 I-class boats. The I-class will keep you dry. Most days in spring bring big wind and waves on Conroe, Livingston, toledo and Rayburn. To me, how a boat performs in the big rollers is very important.
    Last edited by Ranchdip; 02-06-2023 at 01:23 AM.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

7. Member
    The I class is a great boat. By no means the worst riding bass boat. I was pro-staffing for a local Skeeter dealer when the I - Class first came out. 2006, I think. Certainly one of the prettiest Skeeters ever made. I had just bought a new ZX225 so had to pass.

With a few exceptions, how a boat handles bad water IMHO, depends on the driver as much as the boat.

Still bass boats. Still bad rides. All of them.

8. Member
    If we're being honest, Ken did not drive that FXR how it needed to be driven. How he was mentioning the porpoise issue, he never got into it good enough to get it to 40-45mph. It runs mid 40s in 3 footers with ease and my dad, and I stay bone dry. I have about 5 or 6 videos I can share on here that proves it too. Just have to know how to drive the boat. It's a sports car on the water. So, drive it as such.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JuJu the FishHead View Post
    If we're being honest, Ken did not drive that FXR how it needed to be driven. How he was mentioning the porpoise issue, he never got into it good enough to get it to 40-45mph. It runs mid 40s in 3 footers with ease and my dad, and I stay bone dry. I have about 5 or 6 videos I can share on here that proves it too. Just have to know how to drive the boat. It's a sports car on the water. So, drive it as such.
    I thought the same thing about Ken's Skeeter review.

10. Member
    I have been very happy with the ride of my ZXR 21, now I came out of an Ranger 372 but I rode in most all boats including a champ. Really the difference in ride of most all the 21 foot boats is marginal in my opinion, driver is everything
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21 Yamaha SHO 250
    1993 Ranger 372 Mercury 150 XR6

Thanks for the input guys. It’s encouraging because I’ve been eyeing the FXR for a while. Was really hoping it was a hybrid iclass boat. LOL
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

12. Member
    I've been in 21' Champs, 21' Tritons and I currently run a 21i. The 21i is pretty close to a Champ and a little better than the Toon in my humble opinion and I hear the FXR is pretty close to an I so I would think you would be fine...

13. Member
    Ag I put in my opinion and then realized you posted this 2 years ago. What did you end up doing?
    Last edited by 721BirdMan; 02-14-2023 at 07:58 PM.