Praying First Boat, just saw chip with exposed fiberglass

Good evening everyone,

Please forgive me if this isn't the right area or the fact that I'm a total newbie when it comes to boats/repairs at this point. I just purchased my first bass boat from a trusted friend from work, a 1996 Champion 191 elite. I Had the engine checked (Shop said engine was good). Did a quick look over prior to pulling the trigger and didn't see any noticeable scratches or cracking on the gel coat. He garaged it for 20 years and always keeps his things in immaculate condition. I know he would have disclosed it if he knew/thought about it. <br>

Only thing I was really planning on doing for the boat was adding a keel-guard, re-carpeting it, rewiring the electrical with a battery switch, new TM, new graphs and maybe reupholstering the seats. I was just showing my brother the boat a couple minutes ago when I saw a chip at the stern of the boat on the bottom. I would never have noticed it had I not been down checking the plug because of the rear roller and frame on the trailer.

After finding the damage I re-checked the rest of the underside and it's clean, no damage or apparent scratches.

Is this something I need to have fixed ASAP? Is it something I can do myself or should I have it done at a shop? I'm familiar with fiberglass and have worked with it before albiet not in the marine realm or having the deal with paint/gel coat. I use to do custom audio as a hobby in my younger days and did a lot of fiberglassing in that arena for interiors of vehicles.

I have attached some photos to reference. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully its an easy fix that wont cost too much $$. I want to get it out on the water since I haven't even taken it out yet.

Thanks for any input/advice.
    -J

To fix correctly...try to find a close flake, clear gel and go to it. Flake could be a little tough to find due to the age. Try Fibre Glast, Great Lakes Skipper, even search eBay. There is a couple videos I think in here that will help you. Get your materials and check back here for help.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Thanks Crank, I ordered some Gel Coat and MarineTex along with some different Flakes to try and match it as best I can.

4. Member
    That's a pretty common place to get a little damage. I've fixed a number of those with Marine Tex or gel. I wouldn't worry about getting it to match personally just get it sealed up.

5. Member
    I've been lucky in that my edges have always been plain red, black, or white with out the flake. I pick up a small can of fiberglass resin in the Walmart automotive section. Mix up a spoonful and smear it in place. Wipe up/smooth it out. Let dry. Couple of pieces of sand paper- 100, 150, then 300ish to smooth out. Then a quick hit with primer and then a good paint like rustoleum primer plus paint to be safe. I have never had an issue after with those spots. It takes a total of a couple of hours. I have done corners, edges, and big gouges on the flat underneath. Got to love rocky northern lakes.

6. Member
    Got Er all fixed up today. Used the West Marine GelCoat kit and got the color matched up pretty good minus the flake. I also managed to get the original build sheet with the color names. I tracked down the company that made the color and ordered some flake as well just to have on hand in-case i need it in the future.

Thanks for the help everyone! Helped quell this newbies stress!

Another one for marine tex. You’ll never see it and it’ll outlive you.