Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swapping out hooks

I've been in the habit of replacing treble hooks on some of my hard baits, not all. Depends on the brand. My question is how many people replace the o-rings too and is it as important as the treble hook itself?

I don't change out the O-rings unless I'm experiencing a bad seal.....

Most split rings are OK... I upgrade some of my hooks, Not all of them.

These are some great hooks and cheap>>> https://www.wlure.com/collections/ac...nt=34879591372

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I don't change out the O-rings unless I'm experiencing a bad seal.....
    Oh !!
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Cheap enough hooks. I am curious to how they perform and hold up.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

6. Member
    I don't replace O rings but do replace all treble hooks on my hard baits. Mainly go with Mustad KVD 1x Strong 2x Short Triple Grip Treble Hook.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    Cheap enough hooks. I am curious to how they perform and hold up.
    I ordered some, and going to see. Don't know when they will get here though. Even have some 4X strong coming from the same place. And split rings and all sorts of other stuff.

Most split rings are ok. If they’re weak I’ll replace. On cranks, I usually only upgrade the front hook. Most of your fish will be caught on the front hook.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    On cranks, I usually only upgrade the front hook. Most of your fish will be caught on the front hook.
    ...or maybe it's because the tail hook is dull? On new KVD hooks, I notice both hooks are in the fish. KVD himself recommends changing the hooks out after every 3 fish.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

On new KVD hooks, I notice both hooks are in the fish. KVD himself recommends changing the hooks out after every 3 fish.
    Really !

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapshotmd View Post
    ...or maybe it's because the tail hook is dull? On new KVD hooks, I notice both hooks are in the fish. KVD himself recommends changing the hooks out after every 3 fish.
    And to make sure that the replacements are KVD hooks!

12. Member
    Depends on the baits. I switch to owner hyperwire for all my big hard swimbaits. On most others I only change to adjust suspension in the water.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Most split rings are OK... I upgrade some of my hooks, Not all of them.

These are some great hooks and cheap>>> https://www.wlure.com/collections/ac...nt=34879591372

Interested in learning more about these hooks.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    I've been in the habit of replacing treble hooks on some of my hard baits, not all. Depends on the brand. My question is how many people replace the o-rings too and is it as important as the treble hook itself?
    I do not usually replace the split rings unless they are the really thin type. I do change the front hooks on my KVD baits, not because they are dull, but because they tend to bend and they are too small I M H O.

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Interested in learning more about these hooks.
    They are cheap enough, That anyone can afford to try them. Link was provided... Just takes patience to receive them.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I usually swap out my trebles for short shank hooks to prevent the hooks from becoming fouled while I'm fishing. I've learned that I prefer to change the o-ring too, because the stock o-rings are not high quality, and never seem to close back up completely.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

17. Member
    Usually only replace o-ring if damaged. Just bought a couple packs of the owner st36 and replaced the trebles on some of the jerkbaits I throw most often to give them a try...I will say I think they are kinda pricey but if I like them then I guess it's worth it. Definitely goin to look at those hooks posted by 21xdc.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    And to make sure that the replacements are KVD hooks!
    Haha. Gotta sell hooks!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    They are cheap enough, That anyone can afford to try them. Link was provided... Just takes patience to receive them.
    Yes you do. I ordered 2 weeks ago, and nothing even comes up with the tracking number yet. Guess that disease must be slowing things up.

Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    Yes you do. I ordered 2 weeks ago, and nothing even comes up with the tracking number yet. Guess that disease must be slowing things up.
    I ordered a few of each size last year.... When I posted on this thread I ordered a few more of each size just to have extras... They are worth waiting for... But the virus was not there last time.

I sent some lure parts to China 5 weeks ago and they still haven't received them yet....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast