Thread: V-8 Skeg damage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

V-8 Skeg damage

Anyone else noticing that on the V8 Sportmaster the skeg is not near as durable as the old 3litre sportmasters? Who has damaged one by something that would not of hurt the 3litre? Wondering why Mercury changed the material??

2. Member
    Mine got damaged & I never felt anything. I assumed I topped an oyster bed in extremely low tide. It was approx the lower 4” that was chipped badly on the leading edge of the skeg. The prop should have contacted whatever the skeg contacted but the prop was barely nicked. I ran my old SM on 300XS for many years in skinny water & never damaged the skeg as bad as this was.

3. Member
    There’s been a few guys on here and the bullet FB page that’s had skeg problems. Some as far as complaining to merc about how soft the material is. Think a couple or so had theirs rolled or bent with no signs of hitting anything. Knock on wood mines been fine and unhurt, only at 28 hrs so far.

4. Member
    I barely hit a rock and a big chunk of paint came off. Definitely not the quality of previous skegs. The metal itself looks thinner and cheaper. That’s par for the course. Make a product cheaper and raise the price.

5. Member
    Not sure what it’s made of but did they use a different material trying to save weight?
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

No doubt its softer and thinner
    Have read several reports of damage from very minor contact
    Sad thing is most SM are on Hi performance rigs that could get out of control with an imperfect skag

I agree as well. Just idling over a shallow sand/mud bar around a creek point left its mark
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

8. Member
    300R- I was at idle, testing new h-birds. I hit an underwater log at idle....it bent the forward face of the keg perfectly over, about 4 inches long, 1/4 inch deep. It was almost like you bent it in a vice.

Unfortunately, I took a curve on the way in and the boat hooked violently, and almost pitched me out!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

I have not heard of (nor seen any evidence of) significant changes in the composition of case materials/castings. That being said- you can break a skeg completely off an engine with the engine SHUT DOWN if the boat swings across an object while drifting (or comes up on a wave and the skeg bottoms out on an object). Seen in many times over several decades.

Skeg contact with a fixed or floating object will do damage in most cases...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Alloy is identical but the thickness of the forward edge is much thinner.

11. Member
    I'd love to be able provide the REQUIRED info but , unfortunately I don't know the serial numbers of every ones engines. It's a very generic question and , I wasn't aware that Mercury changed the alloy between serial numbers. I am a certified welder and , I have cut and , welded on both the the 3 litre SM and , the new V8 SM and , I can assure you that they are not the same alloy. Yes , you are correct in saying any contact can damage the skeg but , it's not even debatable that this new SM is no where near as tough as the 3 litre SM was.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

I have not heard of (nor seen any evidence of) significant changes in the composition of case materials/castings. That being said- you can break a skeg completely off an engine with the engine SHUT DOWN if the boat swings across an object while drifting (or comes up on a wave and the skeg bottoms out on an object). Seen in many times over several decades.

Skeg contact with a fixed or floating object will do damage in most cases...

12. Member
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Alloy is identical but the thickness of the forward edge is much thinner.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    I'd love to be able provide the REQUIRED info but , unfortunately I don't know the serial numbers of every ones engines. It's a very generic question and , I wasn't aware that Mercury changed the alloy between serial numbers. I am a certified welder and , I have cut and , welded on both the the 3 litre SM and , the new V8 SM and , I can assure you that they are not the same alloy. Yes , you are correct in saying any contact can damage the skeg but , it's not even debatable that this new SM is no where near as tough as the 3 litre SM was.
    Out of curiosity... "why" would you weld on the skeg of an engine that is obviously still within the Factory Warranty Period?

Without a doubt this is a completely different gearcase- with completely different geometry (skeg included). Totally and entirely different castings (as they're totally and entirely different gearcases).

How many of these V8 Sportmaster Gearcases have you (personally) had the opportunity to inspect after breakage and/or weld?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman123 View Post
    300R- I was at idle, testing new h-birds. I hit an underwater log at idle....it bent the forward face of the keg perfectly over, about 4 inches long, 1/4 inch deep. It was almost like you bent it in a vice.

Unfortunately, I took a curve on the way in and the boat hooked violently, and almost pitched me out!
    Glad you are okay Steven! Hooking or blowing out makes for a serious pucker factor.

Raised the motor too high on my old Allison 2002 XB and did that. Not the way I want to get a thrill.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

15. Member
    I just damaged mine (300R sport master) at @2Hrs in the break in time. Hit what I believe to be a log in the water. Not running hard at all. Felt a small bump on the pad and a thump on the motor. Didn't even slow the boat down. It will require a new case. Rolled the skeg up like a cigar and broke a chunk of the leading edge at the tip. I normally go where the fish are and have hit quite a bit of stuff and never damaged a 3ltr skeg like this. And there very pricey
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

16. Member
    Out of curiosity... "why" would you weld on the skeg of an engine that is obviously still within the Factory Warranty Period?

I would guess from unforeseen objects. If warranty covers skeg/lower unit damage from instances like that then post the info we need for warranty to cover it when needed. I’m sure all the local dealers would love to have that laugh for someone requesting warranty work for the lower unit caused by a barge rope, floating log, stump, etc.

So we can assume tlt20xd (post right above this) can bring his new R to you for warranty work and save his checkbook or an insurance claim?

17. Member
    EXACTLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    I would guess from unforeseen objects. If warranty covers skeg/lower unit damage from instances like that then post the info we need for warranty to cover it when needed. I’m sure all the local dealers would love to have that laugh for someone requesting warranty work for the lower unit caused by a barge rope, floating log, stump, etc.

So we can assume tlt20xd (post right above this) can bring his new R to you for warranty work and save his checkbook or an insurance claim?

18. Member
    Really? lol

Without a doubt this is a completely different gearcase- with completely different geometry (skeg included). Totally and entirely different castings (as they're totally and entirely different gearcases).

How many of these V8 Sportmaster Gearcases have you (personally) had the opportunity to inspect after breakage and/or weld?

19. Member
    [QUOTE=EuropeanAM;10807674]
    Without a doubt this is a completely different gearcase- with completely different geometry (skeg included). Totally and entirely different castings (as they're totally and entirely different gearcases). I have not heard of (nor seen any evidence of) significant changes in the composition of case materials/castings.

Which one is it?

20. Member
    I've welded and shaped enough to know there is a big difference and , I'd question the mentality of anyone that disagreed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast