Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

150 Pro XS SLOWER than regular 150?

<2B701466> I have a 2020 1980 Vexus with a slidmaster jackplate and a 150 4 stroke Pro XS. My friend has a 2019 1980 Vexus with a regular 150 merc 4 stroke. His boat is absolutely faster than mine. After not really being able to get any good answers I found a tool that calculates speed as per prop pitch, gear ratio and slip. This is what it came up with:

MERC 150 4 STROKE:
    RPM: 5800
    Gear ratio: 1.92
    Pitch: 23
    Slip: 0.15
    Speed: 55.9

MERC 150 4 STROKE PRO XS:
    RPM: 6000
    Gear ratio: 2.08
    Pitch: 23
    Slip: 0.15
    Speed: 53.4

These boats are shipped out with the exact same Tempest Plus 23P props. Looks like the Pro XS is slower according to the calculator and it sure as heck is in real life. The fastest I've gotten mine going is 50 mph gps speed. My friend has gotten his to touch 58 mph gps. In both cases we were in the boats alone. But my boat also has a jackplate his does not.

Did Mercury actually make a Pro XS that is slower than the regular? Or should the props be different or what?

I would sure appreciate any feedback!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-22-2020 at 07:20 AM.

2. Member
    Switch props with your buddy to rule out issues with the prop. 50 does seem slow as **** for that though. Try setting your jackplate so it matches your friends motor height too.

What RPM are you at when you hit 50 mph?

I can almost reach 50 and I only have a 115 w/ try 1880.

serial number??? Is your jackplate set at the same height as his motor? Then of course is the usual questions which I'm sure you have taken into account, gas tanks at the same level, livewells on both empty, tackle load the same, weight makes a big difference when looking for the last bit of top end. My 150 4/stroke has always run best with a 21P but it is 7 years old . I'm sure someone here with the new Pro XS has tried different prop set-ups and will chime in.

Are the boats loaded the same? There are so many factors that change speeds. You may think you have the same amount of gear & gas but it it could weigh a lot more! I agree with the above post to switch props.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Believe me I’ve tried most everything and the dealer has tried too. New prop from dealer. They said they got it to 52 with 2 guys in it. I got 50 with different prop. Jack plate adjustments didn’t do much. However the gear ratio is different and the results from the calculation tool make sense.

6. Member
    I had a 2018 Z185 with a regular 4 stroke 150 and now a 2019 Z185 with a ProXS. The 2018 was around 3 mph faster. The boats aren't identical though. The 2018 ran a 22P Tempest+ and I now have a 24P Tempest+ on the 2019 (it came with a 22P). I would think you would be mid 50s with a 23P Tempest+. The gear ratio difference between the 2 motors equates to about 2P. You both should not be running the same pitch.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

7. Member
    That’s one of the things I think is strange myself. Same prop with different gear ratios. Doesn’t make sense to me

A lot of people think that a boat that is say brand X is the same as another of the same model of brand X...from boat to boat there can be enough difference to impact speed.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

From what I see looking at your numbers.. If 6000 is at the upper limit of the rpm range you need to go to a larger pitch with those gears to go any faster. Cant say about the new 150 but the bigger XS and R motors have a different gearcase than the motors they replaced. A lot of people are having issues getting them propped. Those who have figured out the props and setup with these new motors are setting records.. It may take a lot of effort to find the right combination for your setup.. Don't be afraid to try different props.

10. Member
    6000 is max rpm for pro xs. 5800 is max rpm for non pro xs both 150 4 strokes. That is what does not make sense to me. Simply do the math and the pro xs cannot be as fast as the non pro xs with the same prop. So then the question is why do they ship them out with the same prop? I believe it is Mercury who is doing that and from all I've heard they have a reputation for knowing exactly what to do. Just to make clear my friend and I do have the same exact hulls although if the math is done it is physically impossible with the different gear ratios, same props and same hull for the pro xs to be the same speed or faster than the regular 4 stroke. In fact, with the specs given it has to be slower.

Your math is probably correct..
    I've never bought a Mercury motor that came with a prop.. If your boat came from Vexas as a "package" deal I figure Vexas chose the prop. If not chances are the dealer did. There are way to many variables for Vexas or Mercury to say one prop will be right for every 1980 Vexas with a 150 Pro XS.. Especially when they have no idea where the boat might be used. That boat on a mountain lake in Colo. may need a 19 pitch while the same rig at sea level might easily turn a 25.
    IMO you need to keep trying different props to find one that better suited for application...

12. Member
    I think you are correct. I know the dealer did not choose the prop. I have seen the new boats come in with a prop so it is either Mercury or Vexus. I have not ever tested different props before I have just purchased them as needed. I will need to check around to see if there is a prop seller that will let me test them. I am afraid to just go buy one as I have seen people try to put on different props and not even get up on plane...

13. Member
    Your dealer should switch out your props for free. Anglers Marine swapped the 22p to a 23p and then to a 24p no charge to me.

14. Member
    Thanks for the input. I spoke to my dealer and they are going to see what props they have. I want to try a 24p and a 25p and see what they do.

Brand of batteries. Graph size and location, trolling motor size, prop to pad height. Prop can be not true. Many variables when saying same boat. It could be and at that point check throttle for WOT

But in your case it simply is the pitch. You need 24/25
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdr2064 View Post
    I have seen the new boats come in with a prop so it is either Mercury or Vexus.
    They come from Mercury without a prop, so either your boat manufacturer or dealer selected the prop.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Member
    Although not the same boat I turn a 24p tempest easily. I feel like i could run a 25p.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

18. Member
    Thanks for all the feedback! I did find out that Vexus selects the props. Also according to the prop calculation tool it will take a 25p prop to get things where they should be. I hope it is able to turn it well. I think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by wdr2064 View Post
    6000 is max rpm for pro xs. 5800 is max rpm for non pro xs both 150 4 strokes. That is what does not make sense to me. Simply do the math and the pro xs cannot be as fast as the non pro xs with the same prop. So then the question is why do they ship them out with the same prop? I believe it is Mercury who is doing that and from all I've heard they have a reputation for knowing exactly what to do. Just to make clear my friend and I do have the same exact hulls although if the math is done it is physically impossible with the different gear ratios, same props and same hull for the pro xs to be the same speed or faster than the regular 4 stroke. In fact, with the specs given it has to be slower.
    You are assuming that the current configuration is the best one. While a bigger prop will lower RPMs with no other changes, you might get them back by raising the engine. Then the bigger prop is back up to 6000 and your going faster. As far as why did Mercury send the boat out with that prop, they didn't the boat manufacturer did or at least whoever rigged the motor. I would not assume they went out and tested a variety of props and setups to determine the best. Looks to me like they saw a 150HP and said give it a 23p because that is a common size for that motor.

Assuming both boats are in good condition, a little tuning will probably bring up the performance of the ProXS.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

20. Member
    It has been my experience that when a boat is ordered with a motor/prop package, the boat manufacturer is the one that selects the prop size.
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast