Ultrex Issue in Heavy Current

I am having issues while using my spotlock in heavier current situations (discharge from the dam is 70K ft^3/sec and higher) on lakes such as pickwick lake. My motor head "sways back and forth" and will knock you out of the boat if not careful. I can manually "hold" in current using my foot and the problem goes away. I'm pretty confident this is a "gain" issue on the controller board which I verified with my electrical controls coworkers. I have a friend that bought his ultrex about a year after me and he doesn't have this issue. So I'm thinking Minn Kota updated their control board. I was curious if anyone else had this issue and if there was a simple solution or you had to call Minn Kota? Since there isn't a user interface option to change the gain in the controller, I'm thinking Minn Kota will have to assist. Probably going to call them Monday, just looking for other feedback and if this was common or not in the earlier ultrex versions.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Have you played with adjusting boat scale?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Hmm. I haven't tried that. I have a 18'10" Stratos 285 Pro Elite and my Ultrex is the 112v, so it's technically oversized for the boat. This could be worth a shot. Thanks!

4. Member
    Is the current "swirly"? Might be swinging the boat around, which the Ultrex sees via the heading sensor, causing it to turn more as it tries to hold you in position. Just spitballing.

Adjust the scale to -2 and try to move weight to the front of the boat. I have had the same issues in a strong current when I go to the back of boat fighting a fish or retieing
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Thanks for the info on the boat scale. I’ll try the -2 setting and go back out with it. Crossing my fingers that fixes it. Would be a lot easier than convincing minn Kota on the gain issue I think.

7. Member
    That is what you are adjusting with the boat scale setting. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    Great Thanks!

Got this from my manual......sorry it's side ways

20191222_081139.jpg
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3872320191222_081018.jpg9[/ATTACH]

20191222_081018.jpg
    Last edited by tav; 12-22-2019 at 07:26 AM.

10. Member
    I appreciate everyone’s input. I’ve got my boat scale adjusted, now I just need to get back out on the water and see if it worked!

11. Member
    That should fix it. On mine I will adjust it for light wind to heavy wind. If I have it turned up on a calmer day it will go nuts hunting a spot.

12. Curtman333
    Did this work? I had the same deal on Mississippi last weekend. I won't be back in current for a while to test it out. Xpress X19, Ultrex 112. 80# is not enough on upper Miss.