Thread: 18TRX VS 189TRX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I haven't posted in a while so just wanted to add that I am still loving the boat. I actually have more gear in it now but started to move the weight around a bit. Trying to put as much as I can in the rear compartments. I Have lost just a bit of speed. Closer to 61-62 than to 63 now. Around 62 is fine with me which it will run with full everything and 75-degree water. One thing I have noticed though. By moving more weight to the back I am just not having hardly any chine walking anymore. I was running along the other day and noticed I was running just shy of 63 (gps and with wind) and no chine walk at all. Didn't realize I was running that fast because I will usually have to make small corrections with the steering wheel. Chine walk has never been very bad for me with this boat (never had performance boat that would chine walk before this one) and have always been able to correct it without an issue. It just took me off guard when I slowed down getting ready to dock and it hit me that I never NOTICED having to make those corrections.
    2021 189 TrX
    Mercury 175 Pro XS
    Tempest Plus 22 Pitch Prop
    Lowrance 9 Live Console
    Lowrance 12 Carbon Bow
    Ultrex 80#

2. Member
    Seat time
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Seat time
    1Holeshot, I tried to PM you a question about your props but it says your inbox is too full to accept more messages.

4. Member
    I will delete some PMs to make room.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I see the hull weight and length and width are basically the same, what are the biggest difference other than horsepower ratings between these boats? Also why is there a different horsepower rating I wonder? I understand options could make a price difference, but not sure about the horsepower rating.
    I ended up buying a 2021 189 TrX with a 175 in Oct of that year. It was the last one the dealer had and he said all the rest would be the 18 Trx. He said you could get the 18 TrX with different motors but going forward and they would probably only get them in with the 200. There was a 2022 18 TrX sitting right beside mine with a 175 on it for about $5000 more and he said it had the 175 because at that time they took what was being offered to get the new year model in. My 189 came with everything the 18 had but the stereo. They had a 7 inch lowrance on the console same as mine. He did say the ones that came with the 200 on them looked like they would have a 9 inch front and back. Gauges, hot foot, jack plate, lighting, trolling motor, livewells, dual axel trailer, ect was the same as mine. I have noticed now the ones they are getting in have non-specific trolling motors. Some with Ghost, Force, or Minnkota and either Lowrance, Garmin, or Hummingbird fish finders. I am very happy with my purchase and love the boat.
    2021 189 TrX
    Mercury 175 Pro XS
    Lowrance 9 Live Console
    Lowrance 12 Carbon Bow
    Ultrex 80#

6. Member
    You have a very fine boat that will serve you well for many years.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

Seat time
    Many times it is not a "seat time" issue, but rather a setup issue. I had trouble with my TR196 for several years and I have 40 plus years of seat time driving bass boats. Mine was a setup issue where the dealership just didn't have the PTP setup right from the day I bought it and I just never took the time to adjust. I was having uncontrollable chine walk. Many on here claimed I needed more "seat time" to learn how to drive my boat. I found that offensive considering I have more than 40 years experience driving high performance bass boats. I finally took the time to start making some adjustments and added a hydraulic jack plate to make it easier. Once I got it honed in closer to where it needed to be, the chine was allot easier to drive through.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    Many times it is not a "seat time" issue, but rather a setup issue. I had trouble with my TR196 for several years and I have 40 plus years of seat time driving bass boats. Mine was a setup issue where the dealership just didn't have the PTP setup right from the day I bought it and I just never took the time to adjust. I was having uncontrollable chine walk. Many on here claimed I needed more "seat time" to learn how to drive my boat. I found that offensive considering I have more than 40 years experience driving high performance bass boats. I finally took the time to start making some adjustments and added a hydraulic jack plate to make it easier. Once I got it honed in closer to where it needed to be, the chine was allot easier to drive through.
    You are correct that seat time will not correct a poorly set up boat. It is best to get some help in setting the boat up correctly. But a noobie ( little to no seat time ) will still struggle a little with chine walk while learning. Hopefully you do not find that offensive.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

9. Member
    You have a very fine boat that will serve you well for many years.
    Thanks Holeshot. It is a really good size for me. I can store it inside, fishes great, is plenty fast enough for my needs, and is big enough to handle some pretty rough water. I saw you have the trick steps on yours. I added the easy steps on mine to be able to step off the bed of my truck when I launch my boat by myself which I do a good bit. The steps are awesome to have on your trailer. I also added the drotto latch too. Kind of have the boat setup for coming and going by myself
    2021 189 TrX
    Mercury 175 Pro XS
    Lowrance 9 Live Console
    Lowrance 12 Carbon Bow
    Ultrex 80#

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigit View Post
    Thanks Holeshot. It is a really good size for me. I can store it inside, fishes great, is plenty fast enough for my needs, and is big enough to handle some pretty rough water. I saw you have the trick steps on yours. I added the easy steps on mine to be able to step off the bed of my truck when I launch my boat by myself which I do a good bit. The steps are awesome to have on your trailer. I also added the drotto latch too. Kind of have the boat setup for coming and going by myself
    The updates you have made sure make solo fishing a lot easier and more fun.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12