Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Yup, 55-60 is normal for a 150 on these boats. I mostly see 56'ish with full fuel and tournament load. The stars must have aligned one day when I was running 1/4 tank of fuel, empty wells and light load. I saw 61.3 MPH in my boat. Once. Never broke 60 mph again.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanier Jim View Post
    A little off topic.....but I'm looking at the 189 TRX....I heard it fished bigger with such a wide bow. Question - is it as stable on the bow as I'm hearing. We fish two up front most of the time and hoping it doesn't "dip" down as much as my old TR19. Thanks
    I’ve got an older version of this boat. It’s been a great boat. But I have to be honest-it is a bit tippy when someone is walking to the back corner of the boat. You can feel it when your fishing partner is moving around the boat. It’s not a big deal and it’s not a crazy amount, but I’m guessing there may be other 18’ boats that might not move as much on the water when you walk around the hull. A Ranger 518 has a wider beam (97” vs 94”) so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a little more stable than the 18 TRX or 189 TRX.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    I’ve got an older version of this boat. It’s been a great boat. But I have to be honest-it is a bit tippy when someone is walking to the back corner of the boat. You can feel it when your fishing partner is moving around the boat. It’s not a big deal and it’s not a crazy amount, but I’m guessing there may be other 18’ boats that might not move as much on the water when you walk around the hull. A Ranger 518 has a wider beam (97” vs 94”) so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a little more stable than the 18 TRX or 189 TRX.
    I kept seeing comments about this, so I was in my boat this weekend with a friend of mine and I had to check it out. While he was fishing the front and without saying anything I went to the back and I walked from one edge to the other. I weigh right at 200 pounds. The boat did shift a little bit, about like I would expect but not enough for him to really say anything. Finally I got a little more aggressive with the way I walked back-and-forth and he looked back and asked me what are you doing? so I told him, and he kind of laughed at me. At that point we both went from side to side, he weighs about 230, the boat definitely was rocking and rolling then! HAHA Overall until I started reading about it I had never even thought about it, so I don’t think I would let it be a factor as far as purchasing one.

4. Member
    Itsahog- I agree with you. It’s probably a little more noticeable than some boats but not enough to really matter. It is not unstable at all.

i feel like its somewhat caused to the deeper hull design than say a Ranger. It also gives a great ride due to that same deeper hull, so pros and cons with either boat. As I slowly make my way to replacing my boat in the next 1-2 years, I am considering a Triton 189 TRX, a Ranger 518, and a Caymus 18 GTS if that tells you anything.

5. Member
    2020 189 trx I can get 62.4 if the conditions are perfect. No jackplate.

6. Member
    I hit 62 today on Watts Bar in near calm conditions and a heavy load

7. Member
    I have a 2021 189 trx with 175 pro xs 4 stroke, 22 pitch tempest plus, 9 hours on it so far. After messing with the jack plate I was able to hit 63.6 gps with the wind. That is with 41 gal of gas, all fishing equipment loaded, and by myself. 5950 to 6000 rpms via vessel view mobile. I am good with that speed especially with the fantastic hole shot.

8. Member
    I would have to agree with bman about the movement of the boat. The boat I am coming from was a small 17-6 Stratos 275 pro xl with a 115 on it. Even that short it had a 92-inch beam, and it was very stable when fishing. Just much shallower v hull though so it was not the smoothest when the water got a little rough. I now have a 2021 Triton 189 trx with 175. Still dialing it in but right now 62.3 about 5850 rpms full gas, all gear, empty livewells by myself. 22p tempest plus. I came down on the jackplate a bit due to the cool weather because I saw 6200 rpms via vessel view mobile. Gotta find that comfortable spot. Came back up on the jackplate about half of where it was before but haven't had time to run it yet. Fishing with a buddy in the back the first time it did take me by surprise when he moved from one side to the other. It didn't take me long at all to get used to it though. After the 1st hour I didn't know he was back there. Now I wouldn't change it at all. I will take the deeper v and the smooth ride any day. I can say I have fished out of my buddy's 2020 Ranger Z185 (I was looking at that boat also) and he was the person in the back my Triton on my first fishing trip. We both noticed the movement, and both agreed the Ranger had less and both agreed the Triton did have the better ride. Pick your poison, I guess. I picked mine and am happy with it.
    Last edited by Rigit; 12-15-2021 at 06:29 PM.

9. Member
    Impressive, I would think it would be hard to get any more speed out of it with any prop but what do I know!
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Huff189 View Post
    Finally got it dialed in today.
    46 degree air
    48 degree water
    light load
    One Guy (200lbs)
    5700 rpm
    65.3 mph on gps
    23 tempest plus
    I think it might be overpropped will either try a 22 tempest come spring or a 4 blade possibly.

10. Member
    Getting that kind of speed with such few rpms is amazing. I wouldn't change props. I would come up on the jackplate to get a few more rpms. If your holeshot is still good not sure why you would want to change much at all. Not sure if I have seen many, if any at all, getting those speeds out of our boats. I run a 22p tempest plus that came on the boat and can come up to much to where I was running about 6200 rpms but lost speed and had to come down on the jackplate. Best I can do is a little under 63 with a pretty strong tail wind and still running 5970 rpms. Water temp was about 67, almost a full tank of gas, all my gear, by myself, and empty live wells.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Huff189 View Post
    Finally got it dialed in today.
    46 degree air
    48 degree water
    light load
    One Guy (200lbs)
    5700 rpm
    65.3 mph on gps
    23 tempest plus
    I think it might be overpropped will either try a 22 tempest come spring or a 4 blade possibly.

11. Member
    I get 58mph 5700rpm fully loaded

12. Member
    What is your prop pitch?

13. Member
    this thread started in 2019 so might not get much feedback
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12