Thread: Baldwin Lake

Baldwin Lake

Hey how bad was the fish kill there this summer? The reason I ask is because a friend said that he heard fro someone reputable and they said the kill was bad. He said it wipes out a good portion of the largemouth and smallmouth. But I read online a biologist that said it wasn't bad on bass at all. I went Sunday and I only caught 1. Usually I can go to a couple areas and always stick a fish or two. But I didn't even get a bite or. See any signs of them on the depth finder. I'm hoping it was just a tough day and it was my fault I didn't figure them out. Anyone hear about the fish kill?

2. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar

Re: Baldwin Lake (Needemp)

Anyone......Bueller!?
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

Re: Baldwin Lake (sgt93)

I live close by and are unaware of any big kill. I know there have been some big ones in the past where they actually bring in a loader to pick them up from the wind blown banks.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member

Re: Baldwin Lake (illinifish)

I heard thru the grapevine there was a big kill this summer too. No details and not sure what to believe? I guess if this was heard by more than one person from different circles it must have some truth?

5. Member

Re: Baldwin Lake (dough4200)

I went there again this weekend. I just got my side imaging so I played with that. Fished about 2 hours all together and had 4 keepers. All 18s. Anyone use si on that lake yet? Its bad ass. I found 2 areas off shore were I couldn't get a bite on the bottom in the cover. I caught them suspended above it.

Talked to an IDNR guy a few weeks after it happended. Lots of drum and carp were affected. Many dead fish near the ramp and the fishing pier. He had not heard of the bass being affected.

Went there a few times over the past few weeks and the bite has been hit and miss.

7. Member

Re: Baldwin Lake (IllinoisBasser)

My friend talked to that guy again recently and he said that him and some other plant workers went and picked up 3 boats full of dead fish with lots of bass. He said a bunch of 6 to 8 pounders and a lot of smallmouth as well as other fish. I know this guy works at the plant so unless he is lying, I guess it was bad!

8. Member

Anybody been to Baldwin lately? Are there any bass left since the fish kill. Haven't been out there all winter, but it's the closest thing to me and I may be able to get out for a few hours one day coming up.

Re: Baldwin Lake (dough4200)

Just go to Coffeen and give me a report for the USA bassin T later this month.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois