Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rapala touch screen scale problems....

Does anyone have the instruction booklet for the RTDS scale? I am suddenly having issues with mine. When I turn it on it says CAL. I assume hat it means calibrate, but I have no idea how to do the calibration.

Thanks

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    You can get them on line
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

3. Member
    The only instrutions I have found online are the quick reference ones in how to use the cull features and general operation of the scale. I have found nothing that references the CAL code that appears in the screen now.

4. Member

This is what appears on the screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have you tried taking the batteries out? Or new batteries?

6. Member
    Sorry. Wrong thread.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Have you tried taking the batteries out? Or new batteries?
    Yes I have done both. Left the batteries out for 12 hours and replace with new ones. It still says Cal.

8. Member
    A quick google search and I found this... I hope it helps.

"my second concern was that the scale, being so light-weight and digital, may not be very accurate. in doing a bit of research, i found out that the scale calibrates every time you turn it on. so being the way i am, i wandered around the house and found several items to weigh and see how accurate the scale pegged their weights. about three times out of four, it was dead on, and nine times out of ten, it was within one ounce on 3lb and 5lb weights. it is possible, however, to throw the calibration off if you're careless while turning the scale on (resting it on your lap or applying any force to the chain) but if you simply hold the scale up and keep it still when you turn it on, it calibrates pretty accurately and consistently. i attribute the weighing inaccuracies to me moving with the scale in-hand while turning it on. once i figured out how to get a good calibration, it was dead on every time."

9. Member
    Thanks, but that isn't it.

10. Member
    I have the same scale, never seen that! Sorry. I can't help

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingRaptor View Post
    I have the same scale, never seen that! Sorry. I can't help
    plus 2

12. Member
    Anyone ever figure this out? Mine is doing this too and I can’t figure out how to fix it.
    Last edited by nhxrunner; 08-26-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    1996 Nitro 205 Sport SF
    1996 Mercury 175 EFI
    Lowrance HDS-7 Touch Networked Console and Bow
    Point 1 & Sonic Hub

13. Member
    How old is it? I had one the other day that simply gave out on me. I put new batteries in it and it started making a humming noise and getting hot. I threw it away and went straight to the bait shop to buy a new one. I got 5 good years out of that thing and I swore by its accuracy up till the day it died.

I tore it apart before tossing it to see what might have gone wrong and there were lots of corroded electrical connections inside of it. Perhaps yours is shorting out somewhere similar to how mine did.

14. Member
    never seen that on mine

15. Member
    Unfortunately this won’t help, but here is the sheet of instructions that is sewn to the inside of the storage bag. It doesn’t mention anything about CAL.

I had to down rez the photo to meet forum requirements so I noticed it’s hard to read.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike2718; 08-28-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Added info about photo
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

16. Member
    Instructions are on the tag inside the bag it came in. They're attached to it.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

How old is it? Rapala warrantied one of mine outside of the 1 year mark. They didn't ask for a receipt or how old it was.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

18. Member
    Anything new on this??? Mine briefly showed "CAL". The main screen now shows a default weight of 10.00 and as soon as I pull slightly on the clip it starts at 22.?? I must have hit some magical series of keystrokes when starting it, as I usually have to press the power button 1x after it is "awake" in order for it to actually weigh a fish. LMK if you have found any instructions on how to get it back to factory default... thanks

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redxdu View Post
    How old is it? I had one the other day that simply gave out on me. I put new batteries in it and it started making a humming noise and getting hot. I threw it away and went straight to the bait shop to buy a new one. I got 5 good years out of that thing and I swore by its accuracy up till the day it died.

I tore it apart before tossing it to see what might have gone wrong and there were lots of corroded electrical connections inside of it. Perhaps yours is shorting out somewhere similar to how mine did.
    I had one go bad that I had literally never used. Kept it as a spare in case my main scale went out. Caught a giant one day, went to weight it, scale didn't work. Tried using my rapala touchscreen backup that had been inside a compartment unused for a few years as a backup, and it didn't work either. Still no idea how big that smallie was
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

20. Member
    I just checked the actual paper instructions that come with the scale and there is nothing that mentions your issue. They are, for the most part, identical to the instructions sewn into the bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast