Place to stay recommendation / Lake St Clair

My son and I like to launch at St Jean and fish the area around Grosse Pointe, St Clair Shores. For many years, we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Roseville but stopped because it seems to have gone downhill in a big way. Last year, we ended up staying up near Selfridge, but that’s too far of a run with my Ranger z518.

We also used to launch at 9-mile, but I understand that’s closed for 2 years for reconstruction. Only ramp I think that puts us near where we like to fish is St Jean. We are fishing Sunday-Tuesday, so I’m hoping it isn’t ridiculously crowded at St Jean on the Sunday we are there. Also interested in ramp advice if there’s another option we should consider.

looking for advice on where to stay that is within a 20 minute drive to St Jean that is safe and decent. Thx in advance for any advice.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

2. Member
    I would still stay up near Selfridge and trailer to Harley, Metro or Crocker. That Holiday Inn in Roseville is no longer a Holiday Inn. Mile roads (St. Clair Shores) are closer to Crocker than St. Jean. The only time I use St. Jean is when I'm fishing for walleye in the Spring and Fall or fishing mouth of river and south shore. To me I would rather trailer and not have to worry about the crap that goes on around the Roseville Hotels. Hope you have a good trip! Mile roads have been getting pounded for the last month.

3. Member
    Agree with everything said above, St Jean will probably be busy because the walleye fisherman. All the launches on the river during the spring are normally very on weekends busy this time of year.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

4. Member
    Thanks guys. Due to wanting to fish both anchor bay now and also south near the D-River, we are going to try the Hampton Inn in Roseville. Reviews are pretty good online, and when I spoke to the manager on duty it’s clear they have good boat/trailer parking with a good number of outlets outside the building so we can charge our batteries at the end of each day of fishing.

Do you guys know when 9-mile launch will reopen? Also, what sort of improvements are they making to the facility? Never lived the long walk to/from the parking lot but there was a ton of parking available.

5. Member
    I DO NOT recommend staying anywhere in Roseville, live 2 miles from that area and it is a shit hole with druggies and prostitutes, hoodrat hotel parties etc....drive another 15 minutes to Hall Road (M59) and I94. All kinds of restaurants and bars nearby. It's worth the extra 15 minutes and Selfridge launch is at the end of Hall Road for easy access to Anchor Bay. 9 mule is closed due to them renovating the water and sewer facility next to the launch. Will be 2 more years is my guess.

6. Member
    15 years ago Roseville was doable but now I drive the extra miles and stay Hall Rd for piece of mind. There’s some good places to eat around there too.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

I used to stay in Roseville also, but as said, it’s sketchy at best. For the last 2 years I’ve been saying in Chesterfield (94&59). There’s several newer hotels and places to eat. Cabelas is close by also.

8. Member
    I’m in the process of exploring other options in line with your collective advice. Appreciate the guidance! Probably worth just driving a little further to St Jean vs chancing another hotel in Roseville. We’ve never had an issue but it seems like since the pandemic, Roseville has declined / seemed super sketchy starting in 2018/19. Thx again!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erico View Post
    I used to stay in Roseville also, but as said, it’s sketchy at best. For the last 2 years I’ve been saying in Chesterfield (94&59). There’s several newer hotels and places to eat. Cabelas is close by also.
    What hotels are “bass boat friendly” as far as electrical outlet access and parking a boat/trailer?

Sorry but I’m no help with that. I’m musky fishing with a guide when I go there.

11. Member
    I’ve always stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, last year I was there during the MLF and was between Skeet and Scroggins. Plenty of spots especially when no major tournaments going on.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke