Lake St. Clair - Craziness

Fished Lake St. Clair a couple weeks ago and I can honestly say it was crazy. I caught 8 fish over 7 lbs, one that was 6 oz off 8. I saw a few Rangers out on the water and while the wind blew a bit, it was probably the most enjoyable days of fishing I’ve ever experienced. I knew Ranger made a deep V, just never saw one until I went up there. Assume it’s a better ride in the chop?

I did see some folks fishing with live bait, several in Rangers. Is that common? I threw jerkbaits, Ned rigs, and some glide baits. All worked well.

2. Member
    I'll be up there next week so hoping I can share in the same luck you had!
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

3. Member
    The Fisherman series Rangers are, in my experience, about twice as comfortable riding in sizeable waves/wakes as a conventional bass boat of similar length. They also have the air ride seats and substantially more dead rise in the bow, which means no wave spearing unless you’re out during gale warnings. A friend and I used to fish buddy series on Erie in his Ranger 620, and we said that you could drink coffee from a cup while cutting through a good chop without spilling.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Wow, 8 over 7lb?!?! Impressive sir, especially for LSC!

I was up that way recently and had four that were 7lb+.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    The Fisherman series Rangers are, in my experience, about twice as comfortable riding in sizeable waves/wakes as a conventional bass boat of similar length. They also have the air ride seats and substantially more dead rise in the bow, which means no wave spearing unless you’re out during gale warnings. A friend and I used to fish buddy series on Erie in his Ranger 620, and we said that you could drink coffee from a cup while cutting through a good chop without spilling.
    Honestly, those guys were cutting through the chop and weren’t taking a beating. I can’t imagine fishing that big boat on a regular lake, but I sure would like to have one for Erie and St. Clair.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDonkeyHunter View Post
    Honestly, those guys were cutting through the chop and weren’t taking a beating. I can’t imagine fishing that big boat on a regular lake, but I sure would like to have one for Erie and St. Clair.
    I am running a Ranger deep Vee now and the ride is immensely better than any bass boat I have used prior. I fish a lot of big water in Michigan and the deep vee is worth it. Don't have any issues fishing smaller waters

7. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    The Z522D is the ultimate of both worlds imo

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerR72Sport View Post
    I am running a Ranger deep Vee now and the ride is immensely better than any bass boat I have used prior. I fish a lot of big water in Michigan and the deep vee is worth it. Don't have any issues fishing smaller waters
    Having fished from a Ranger 620 many times, I can vouch that it doesn’t draw that much water [have a deeper draft] than most larger bass boats. Perhaps 4-6 inches more draft. And with the correct trolling motor, it still handles well for fishing docks and other shoreline cover. Tracks better than shallow draft aluminum hulls at any rate. The only detriments to shoreline-type casting are that the casting decks are smaller and set deeper below the gunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by TXDonkeyHunter View Post
    I did see some folks fishing with live bait, several in Rangers. Is that common? I threw jerkbaits, Ned rigs, and some glide baits. All worked well.
    They were probably walleye fishing with live bait.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22RangerZ520R View Post
    The Z522D is the ultimate of both worlds imo
    Didn't even know this thing was a boat - it looks freaking sweet - like a fiberglass Lund prov bass 2075. Why'd they stop making it?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sala0288 View Post
    Didn't even know this thing was a boat - it looks freaking sweet - like a fiberglass Lund prov bass 2075. Why'd they stop making it?
    Not enough sales. Whenever someone here on BBC reminds us that BBC members do not constitute the majority of fishermen, we also have to remember that of the relatively small number of bass boats sold annually, the vast majority have very similar design. In manufacturing, low numbers are a killer, and the 522D didn’t suit the go-fast crowd. There is a niche for multi-species, deep-V boats, but apparently not a big enough niche for a crossover between a bass boat and a deep-V.

12. Member
    I have been in a Z522D, The ride is unreal. It eats 3' waves like nothing.

13. Member
    I love my 522D as well. 8 fish over 7lb on St Clair would be a life time achievement for most folks. Been fishing it for 20 plus yrs and only have a few over 6. I'm def not fishing the right areas or I need new scales. lol