Thread: Hook in pad

Hook in pad

I have '97 skeeter 202c. Always needing more mph, so there is a 1/8" hook in the last 8-10 inches of the pad.
    Is this an issue? I am having trouble finding some knowledge on this.

2. Member
    i would start here in the skeeter section first and welcome aboard!

https://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=49
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    I read enough Bass and Walley boat magazines to know that they always filled and sanded the hulls for more speed. Lots of work though.

Removing a slight hook can cause some high speed porpoising.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    What does hook actually mean? Low spot? High spot? Protruding lip at edge?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Hook is designed into a hulls, depends where its at.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    Lots of hulls have a built in hook on the outer edges of the bottom to prevent low speed porpoising but the pad should be perfectly straight.

We would not worry much about the issue your concerned with. Hooks don’t develop over time unless, they can be forced by long term contact if they have them. Most hooks were that way from the start and happen during the molding process, premature release, or they were intended.

No one on here knows the original intended design of your hull and no they are not all straight, for various reasons in their design. So, no, not all pads are straight, nor are they all intended to be.

9. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Some things are better left alone. Modern accessories are heavy and there is too much tackle in the boat. It was never a screamer but it seems I am going slower and I hate it.When the fish are not biting I can't even scare the crap out of myself getting back to the ramp.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We would not worry much about the issue your concerned with. Hooks don’t develop over time unless, they can be forced by long term contact if they have them. Most hooks were that way from the start and happen during the molding process, premature release, or they were intended.

No one on here knows the original intended design of your hull and no they are not all straight, for various reasons in their design. So, no, not all pads are straight, nor are they all intended to be.
    I don’t doubt your knowledge about boats, but I am curious. Do you know any boats that have an intentional hook in the pad? And for what reason? I’ve only seen two boats with a hook and neither of those ran very well.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I don’t doubt your knowledge about boats, but I am curious. Do you know any boats that have an intentional hook in the pad? And for what reason? I’ve only seen two boats with a hook and neither of those ran very well.
    Ranger puts a small hook so the boat doesn't chine walk and makes it more stable at speed. At least they used to, not sure if they still are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Ranger puts a small hook so the boat doesn't chine walk and makes it more stable at speed. At least they used to, not sure if they still are doing it.
    Allison boats have a slight hook. A few brave souls have been known to sand it down to get more mph.

13. Member
    All my gamblers sterling and ally have had them

Quote Originally Posted by JRAP View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Some things are better left alone. Modern accessories are heavy and there is too much tackle in the boat. It was never a screamer but it seems I am going slower and I hate it.When the fish are not biting I can't even scare the crap out of myself getting back to the ramp.
    Have you ruled out water intrusion? If the hull has a leak (gaps in transom caps, under rub rail between deck and hull, pinholes or cracks in hull) and water has soaked into wood or flotation foam, there could be significant hull weight gain that is slowing you down.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Allison boats have a slight hook. A few brave souls have been known to sand it down to get more mph.
    I dont know its more MPH. Boat runs much better and drives much better with the hook removed. Have to remember the 03 and 02's were not designed to have 225. 260 and 280's slapped on them.
    Jason

16. Member
    if you need more speed why would you buy an old boat an motor to get it with real speed the only thing that you get is by spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    if you need more speed why would you buy an old boat an motor to get it with real speed the only thing that you get is by spending money.
    Huh ?

Those Hydro Stream hulls, Pipkorn built, originated from Eugenio Molinari designs, and yes they intentionally had bottoms that were not straight. They have all sorts of hull tweaks that allowed those boats to do many things the designers desired. Racers and hull designers have played with straight and non-straight running surfaces for decades, including us. We have a variety of bottoms and no two running surfaces are identical in our lineup. Yes, they are all unique from a Jaguar STS to a Bobcat. Even the STS hulls are each unique though have features designed for that size model.

A true hook is one thing, that’s a deformation in the intended design. And yes, we had played with what were hooks on other brands and it was common to see in the 1970’s and 1980’s, not so common today.

Most people wouldn’t know if it was intended to be that way. The original poster should find a dealer of that brand and try to see if that hull is within spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post