Banned

What Gen lower unit do I have?

2017 225 Pro XS Model # 1226P73BD Serial # 2B525444

This motor was supposed to be "fully serviced" by the dealer I got it from, but after going through it and seeing what a poor job they did I decided to go ahead and change the lower unit oil as well because I wasn't sure if they actually did it. I wanted to know what Gen Torque Master lower is on it to make sure I did it correctly.
    20240208_161030.jpg

Gen II
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    ^^^^ +1 ,,,,,, 2
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Banned
    Ok so to clarify this is the "Wing Master" lower as referred to here correct? https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=382250
    Reason I ask is because the boat is a 2012 but the motor is a 2017 so its not the original motor, I don't believe the original 2012 motor would of had the same gearcase. Mine is currently mounted in the 3rd hole on a 10" Z lock jack plate ran all the way up which puts me at 3" prop to pad. I am running a Croxton Blueprinted 25P Tempest so I am thinking I need to move the motor up a hole to get it higher. Currently I am turning about 5700 RPM wide open with 23 PSI of water pressure.

Most boats 3 in is to high, need specifics. Boat, load carried, poles, batteries, elevation etc
    Need to spin that motor, need to spin that motor 5950-6000
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Most boats 3 in is to high, need specifics. Boat, load carried, poles, batteries, elevation etc
    Need to spin that motor, need to spin that motor 5950-6000
    Triton 19XS, 2 8 foot power poles, 36v Ultrex, 4 lead acid batteries, and a 10" jack plate. 550-600' elevation.

Triton is one of the boats that may like it a little higher, I would remount the motor so you could try it a little higher, I also would try a 24 Fury 3 at about 3.25 in and no pvs plugs
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Triton is one of the boats that may like it a little higher, I would remount the motor so you could try it a little higher, I also would try a 24 Fury 3 at about 3.25 in and no pvs plugs
    I had a Fury, it sucked, not enough bow lift even after trying several depths.

If the Fury would not preform well on that boat, I would try a different one, do a careful inspection of the bottom of the boat with 3 ft straight edge, evaluate how the boat is loaded an make sure the poles are not dragging. a fury prop must run 1\2 inch deeper unless the right guy has reworked it.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fury probably will have to run deeper regardless of who worked it as it's a smaller DIAMETER and it's "magic" is closer to the root of the blade than other props like the Tempest Plus, Trophy Plus, etc.

You do have a Gen-2 Gearcase, aka: "Wingmaster".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Fury probably will have to run deeper regardless of who worked it as it's a smaller DIAMETER and it's "magic" is closer to the root of the blade than other props like the Tempest Plus, Trophy Plus, etc.

You do have a Gen-2 Gearcase, aka: "Wingmaster".
    I ran the Fury from about 4.75" all the way up to 3.25", it never did perform as well as the Tempest does. Would you recommend trying the Tempest even higher than 3" prop to pad? Still got plenty of water pressure and a 2-300 RPM to go.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As with most any prop testing, you can continue to move up in 1/4" increments until one of the following occurs:

-Engine RPM's INCREASE but speed DECREASES

-Water Pressure drops below 18 psi

-Undesireable, or Unsafe handling characteristics develop.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor