Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    I think that’s the biggest negative I can see about the tech overall. Regardless of the way the ball bounces, many are gonna drop by the way side because it won’t fit their liking. I mean it’s always been like that to an extent, I’ve always avoided sight fishing deals cause I don’t enjoy it much but locally I know a lot of guys that are staunchly parked on one side of the FFS fence or the other. I’m actually ducking out of a tourney I generally fish this time of year cause I wanna run a pattern that probably won’t compete with deep FFS weights but I know will catch a crap ton of good fish. Again, it’s not cause I don’t wanna go fishing, it’s cause I just don’t wanna scope cause that’s all I’ve done save one other trip this year lol. Just kind of wanna go fishing

Just is what it is now I reckon
    I think people say they are going to take their toys and go home if the organization's decisions don't land where they stand on this issue are like the people who say they are going to leave the US if their particular candidate doesn't get elected. They invariably stick around, unfortunately. All the rest is just bluster and empty threats (promises).

2. Member
    I'm glad hank didn't say that stuff when the electric trolling motor was invented, or when spinning reels and baitcasting reels were invented, or trolling motors, or rubber worms, or jigs or monofilament or.....
    But, he was young and open minded back then. He was chomping at the bit to learn that new technology back then. If hank and randy were old and around back then, we might be fishing bass tournaments from the bank with cane poles.
    Last edited by mjkoutdoors; 03-23-2024 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    I think people say they are going to take their toys and go home if the organization's decisions don't land where they stand on this issue are like the people who say they are going to leave the US if their particular candidate doesn't get elected. They invariably stick around, unfortunately. All the rest is just bluster and empty threats (promises).
    I don’t know if it’s economic in nature or what but our club participation at the lake nearest me is the lowest I’ve ever seen this year. I admit it probably has nothing to do with FFS.

4. Member
    Do people really not see a difference between better boats, faster outboards, trolling motors, better rods and the ability to see and target fish in real time, even suspended fish. Seeing how they react to a cast or a lure. Undecided if its good or bad for the sport, only time will tell. One thing for sure, this is the first time this phrase is legit....FFS is a "game changer"

Quote Originally Posted by Okie74133 View Post
    I don't think the comments come from jealousy at all. There's an epidemic of people these days who have swollen heads because they spend more money on their boat set up than the other guy. For example, I often fish some smaller community lakes that are 300 acres or less. I often load up my little pelican boat for those lakes because it's less complicated and easier. I've seen firsthand the disrespect and superiority complex a lot of guys have towards those they see as the "have nots." They have a "step aside" mentality that I don't tolerate. I never encounter that with my big boat.

I get your point and agree.

But when I see comments like this from anyone -I love taking younger guys' money, especially against their sparkly fast boats and latest $200+ apiece rods and reels.”

I think jealousy.

Now I have fished out them all from a 10 foot Jon boat to modern loaded rig.

Probably put more fish in my Jon boats than any of them. Used to have a blast on the 16 acre pond behind moms house with a Jon boat and 12v TM.

12 pack and a bag of senkos made for a great day.

Like I said, nothing beats time on the water.

FFS is just another tool. I have it, but am not good with it yet.

I have always said if I wanted to make money in this game I should sell my stuff and put the proceeds in a good target date mutual fund, but life is short and I love BSing with the guys in the morning and at weigh in.

I shake the hand of the winner and congratulate them.

Nothing will ever replace the wind in your face at blast off and it feels just as good at 40 mph as it does a 75 mph.

Some can afford big boats but choose to allocate resources elsewhere (which is probably a wise choice)

Others have a new rig, but can’t afford gas for it.

It’s all about choices. There is no wrong answer.

Now, the FFS is expensive argument is complete BS.

You can get in the game for under 2K, heck you can get an AT1 for about $600 now.

That is less than people spend on an overnight tournament with travel costs, fuel an entry fees.

Heck, I drive 2 hours to every one day tournament from where I live.

Makes for a long day and high fuel bill.

Average 1st place check in our small club is about $350-400.

No money in that once you put gas in the boat and truck.

Again, it’s all about choices and time on the water will beat technology everyday.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

6. Member
    I don’t know if it’s economic in nature or what but our club participation at the lake nearest me is the lowest I’ve ever seen this year. I admit it probably has nothing to do with FFS.
    In my experience, those who decide to leave, in an actual REAL sense, don't announce their departure like an airport PA system. They just quietly quit signing up and the numbers reflect the reality.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roper56 View Post
    For all you guys that think "OLDS" can't adapt might want to think about something. Many of us can absolutely adapt and learn anything you young guys can. Maybe we view things in a different light. Maybe we respect those that learned how to figure things out without YouTube and Google. I would love to see anyone under the age of 40 attempt passing the PE exam without a scientific calculator. Most wouldn't have a clue how to solve a simple algebraic equation or find the area of a triangle without a calculator.

Olds were the ones advancing electronics that led to FFS while some of you guys were still on your momma's tit.
    I tell my kids (middle age adults now) that if a foreign country can figure out how to turn off the internet, cell phones, and electronic devices, a third world country can invade and beat the crap out of us with rocks and sticks. I don't find that the younger people have the interest or respect for past history or the sacrifices it took to allow them to be where they are. It may be they don't know or just don't care about anything in the past.
    Last edited by jcdogfish; 03-23-2024 at 09:28 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Do people really not see a difference between better boats, faster outboards, trolling motors, better rods and the ability to see and target fish in real time, even suspended fish. Seeing how they react to a cast or a lure. Undecided if its good or bad for the sport, only time will tell. One thing for sure, this is the first time this phrase is legit....FFS is a "game changer"
    I shake my head at people who attempt to use these advancements for boat movement/speed/maneuverability/rods and lures compare to the FFS technology. They think they are making some great debater type of point, but it is laughable and a red herring. Most weren't even around when these advancements took place, so they don't even know what was said back then. It is a ridiculous historical perspective.

9. Member
    The constant reference and insults hurled at "Olds" not being able to adapt is comical. I earned an Engineering degree before scientific calculators were even allowed on test day and some of you "youngs" couldn't figure out how to get out of your own neighborhood without Google Maps much less perform Calculous with pencil and paper. Some of you "youngs" get on here and debate ad nauseam what fricking "Bass Boat" cleaner is best for a Purple Skeeter , or ask what you should store a Senko in. Then someone asks a legitimate question and here we go , they get insulted for not doing a search because it has been discussed before as though their time was wasted clicking on the thread.

The technology that led to FFS was developed by "olds" while you young guys were still on your Momma's tit.

The constant reference and insults hurled at "Olds" not being able to adapt is comical. I earned an Engineering degree before scientific calculators were even allowed on test day and some of you "youngs" couldn't figure out how to get out of your own neighborhood without Google Maps much less perform Calculous with pencil and paper. Some of you "youngs" get on here and debate ad nauseam what fricking "Bass Boat" cleaner is best for a Purple Skeeter , or ask what you should store a Senko in. Then someone asks a legitimate question and here we go , they get insulted for not doing a search because it has been discussed before as though their time was wasted clicking on the thread.

The technology that led to FFS was developed by "olds" while you young guys were still on your Momma's tit.
    Awesome.

Who gonna hate on Hank now?
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

12. Member

Well said

13. Member

The average age of employees at Space X is 29. I think they are doing quite well with them calculators Pop.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    You don't think he won't fish a tournament?

I honestly think that is the strongest way to voice your opinion, not bombarding comment sections. Like I said earlier, if livescope was banned from a tournament and it was an offshore deal, I simply wouldn't sign up. It's not the end of the world, nearly all of us don't make money fishing anyways, and it's supposed to be fun.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

The concept of being in a club perhaps isn’t as appealing these days to most people. They can be what many people try to avoid - petty bickering, politics, backstabbing, gossip etc. On the surface the concept is good - common interests and hanging with like minded people but it’s hard to maintain that over time.
    Ranting incoherently

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    I get your point and agree.

But when I see comments like this from anyone -I love taking younger guys' money, especially against their sparkly fast boats and latest $200+ apiece rods and reels.”

I think jealousy.

Now I have fished out them all from a 10 foot Jon boat to modern loaded rig.

Probably put more fish in my Jon boats than any of them. Used to have a blast on the 16 acre pond behind moms house with a Jon boat and 12v TM.

12 pack and a bag of senkos made for a great day.

Like I said, nothing beats time on the water.

FFS is just another tool. I have it, but am not good with it yet.

I have always said if I wanted to make money in this game I should sell my stuff and put the proceeds in a good target date mutual fund, but life is short and I love BSing with the guys in the morning and at weigh in.

I shake the hand of the winner and congratulate them.

Nothing will ever replace the wind in your face at blast off and it feels just as good at 40 mph as it does a 75 mph.

Some can afford big boats but choose to allocate resources elsewhere (which is probably a wise choice)

Others have a new rig, but can’t afford gas for it.

It’s all about choices. There is no wrong answer.

Now, the FFS is expensive argument is complete BS.

You can get in the game for under 2K, heck you can get an AT1 for about $600 now.

That is less than people spend on an overnight tournament with travel costs, fuel an entry fees.

Heck, I drive 2 hours to every one day tournament from where I live.

Makes for a long day and high fuel bill.

Average 1st place check in our small club is about $350-400.

No money in that once you put gas in the boat and truck.

Again, it’s all about choices and time on the water will beat technology everyday.
    I would need more information before I could say the comment was from jealousy. I don't know what the interactions were. What I do know is that modern day bass fishing with its endless amount of boats, electronics, and gear has resulted in lots and lots of guys who are very concerned with trying to achieve a certain status. They are very concerned with how they "look" fishing. There's a lot of looking down one's noses at others. Cocky isn't a good look on anybody, but it's even worse when there's no basis for it. So yeah, I could see where there's satisfaction in taking their money, and it would have nothing to do with jealousy. Again, we're both speculating without enough information.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    You don't think he won't fish a tournament?

I honestly think that is the strongest way to voice your opinion, not bombarding comment sections. Like I said earlier, if livescope was banned from a tournament and it was an offshore deal, I simply wouldn't sign up. It's not the end of the world, nearly all of us don't make money fishing anyways, and it's supposed to be fun.
    You don’t have any confidence fishing offshore without FFS?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    You don’t have any confidence fishing offshore without FFS?
    Honestly, not really. I've had good days pre ffs, but it also involves way more idling and casting at nothing. For me, its way more enjoyable with livescope, and fishing is supposed to be fun.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Honestly, not really. I've had good days pre ffs, but it also involves way more idling and casting at nothing. For me, it’s way more enjoyable with livescope, and fishing is supposed to be fun.
    What are lakes in Washington like? With no knowledge, I picture them all being deep, clear, smallmouth lakes.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    What are lakes in Washington like? With no knowledge, I picture them all being deep, clear, smallmouth lakes.
    For the most part yes. Guys have been video game fishing them for years with 2d, to the point where they don't really bite great directly under the boat even before FFS was introduced. Our bigger tournament lakes though are generally combination largemouth / smallmouth lakes, and many times the winners will have a big largemouth kicker or two.

Being honest though, even livescope isn't a magic bullet here. We don't have shad, so our fish are very crawdad / sculpin bottom oriented (for the most part). Livescope is much more effective from post spawn until fall. When they are glued to the bottom they are very difficult to see.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast