2003 Champion 187 Questions

Good evening, I sold my 1998 187 a couple years ago and now I am looking at a 2003 187 with a Yamaha VMax 150, I know most will say it is underpowered but it is what it is. Are there any know issues with the 2003's? My 1998 was rock solid. Not sure if transom rot was an issue with these or not, don't think the is wood in it. Any advise would be appreciated, the price is right, I think, $8500. I have asked for more pictures, and am waiting for a reply.

Thanks in advanced guys and gals, looking forward to maybe rejoining the Champion family.

2. Member
    I used to have an 04 with a 150 Mercury. With a good 23 Tempest Plus ( Croxton ) it ran 61.5 with 2 guys and a load. It was a great boat. I miss it.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    2003's were built in TN and it will have a composite transom. The 187 was rated up to 175hp. I see plenty of them with 150's and it should be able to reach 60mph or close to it.

4. Member
    I appreciate the responses, if it is available when I can go look I will double check the transom and do a compression test on the motor. The owner say that the surge brakes are messed up and one of the windshields is cracked, other than that and out dated electronics the boat looks clean. It has a Slidemaster jack plate which I don't know much about but should be better than the original. Sure miss my 1998 187

5. Member
    Check the rub rail area for waves. It'll have a drop in stringer system that weighed a little more than your balsa core 1998. In the early days of composite manufacturing the screws would back out of the rub rail area where they hull and cap meet. Eventually the engineers came up with a composite that stuck as the screw went in. I'd love to have my 2004 back with the 175 HPDI. I'd expect 58 loaded with the 150, but dang what a nice riding 18!

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMc0622 View Post
    Good evening, I sold my 1998 187 a couple years ago and now I am looking at a 2003 187 with a Yamaha VMax 150, I know most will say it is underpowered but it is what it is. Are there any know issues with the 2003's? My 1998 was rock solid. Not sure if transom rot was an issue with these or not, don't think the is wood in it. Any advise would be appreciated, the price is right, I think, $8500. I have asked for more pictures, and am waiting for a reply.

Thanks in advanced guys and gals, looking forward to maybe rejoining the Champion family.
    I have seen this same boat on Craigs list. Have you gone to look at it? I am curious, what is the capacity for passengers on this boat?