Newby to bass boats... what do I have here?

Just bought this 1988 Champion bass boat last night. Floor and transom are solid and the carpet is still in good shape. The seller(boat flipper) sanded it a bit and sprayed it with some PPG epoxy clear of some sort... at least is shines nicely. Anyhow, the title lists it at 17' 6" but doesn't say what model it is, would like to know what model it is. Also, the title for the engine says it's a 91 Mariner 150, but the serial number crosses to a 1988 as well, 7150453ND

Is there anywhere I can find the actual specs for the boat? It has a small-ish fuel tank and I live near Lake of the Ozarks which has 1100 miles of shoreline, so I'd like to put a larger tank in it and wonder if anyone has done that and what size you used.

Is there any value to the old flasher style depth finder in the dash? I doubt it works, but maybe it's of some use to someone for parts? I plan to remove it and replace it with one of those round Stereo/bluetooth replacement units for some tunes. I put one in my last boat (Lund Tyee) and it worked pretty well.

Anything else I need to check or watch out for?
    I'm looking forward to getting it out on the water, hopefully next weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Being a 1988, it probably is a 176 model based on the title info. The next model up is the 184 which is 18' 4". What is the max hp rating on the coast guard plate? It should be located in the cockpit area.

3. Member
    I'll send you a shiny nickel if you can read it... LOL
    IMG_20240522_210417321.jpg

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Got you an oldie but goodie. Congrats!! Too bad about the sprayed on clear. Might last a year before it starts flaking, but we have folks here on BBC who can advise you on that.

I agree, it is a 176. You CANNOT tell anything about models from the hull number. You CAN tell where and when built.

Pictures would be nice!!!!!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerRick View Post
    I'll send you a shiny nickel if you can read it... LOL
    IMG_20240522_210417321.jpg
    Well that won't work lol. Tape measure would confirm whether it is a 176 (most likely) or a 184.

Flasher are still the most accurate depth finders ever built. 17'6, 86 inch beam, 150 max HP rating.

7. Member
    My 1985 Champ 184 loads best if I back empty trailer so that the water level is at bottom-back corner of wood side guides. OPs 176 may be similar (or not). I have 35-years of practice loading my Champ.

My Champ barely fits correctly between the trailer bunks (RED arrow). If water is higher than blue line, my Champ would usually not sit on the trailer bunks correctly (one side higher than the other side).

Have fun with the NEW Champ!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerRick View Post
    Just bought this 1988 Champion bass boat last night. Floor and transom are solid and the carpet is still in good shape. The seller(boat flipper) sanded it a bit and sprayed it with some PPG epoxy clear of some sort... at least is shines nicely. Anyhow, the title lists it at 17' 6" but doesn't say what model it is, would like to know what model it is. Also, the title for the engine says it's a 91 Mariner 150, but the serial number crosses to a 1988 as well, 7150453ND

Is there anywhere I can find the actual specs for the boat? It has a small-ish fuel tank and I live near Lake of the Ozarks which has 1100 miles of shoreline, so I'd like to put a larger tank in it and wonder if anyone has done that and what size you used.

Is there any value to the old flasher style depth finder in the dash? I doubt it works, but maybe it's of some use to someone for parts? I plan to remove it and replace it with one of those round Stereo/bluetooth replacement units for some tunes. I put one in my last boat (Lund Tyee) and it worked pretty well.

Anything else I need to check or watch out for?
    I'm looking forward to getting it out on the water, hopefully next weekend.
    I had a 90 176 once upon a time and the suare tank sat in the middle of the rear compartment. It was 24 gallons. I had a Johnson 120 on it and I could get a day of fishing in no problem. Will probably be a bit different with that 150.