Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you think our grandchildren will know how to drive?

I ask because driving the Mrs new 2024 car is like nothing I’ve ever drove. The new “traffic assist” is a huge step in tech. You can use the adaptive cruise in stop and go traffic. It brings the car to a complete stop and actually works VERY GOOD! I was sitting in traffic yesterday playing with the new to me tech. I had to make the comment to my Mrs that almost every car around us was getting zero miles per gallon sitting at idle. Uncle Sugar is collecting about .50 cents a gallon nation wide times every car sitting at zero mpg. Why would they want to fix that “problem”?

If I look away at other traffic I get a warning on the dash because there is a camera looking to ensure I look forward. If I drift out of my lane without using a blinker I get a warning and help correcting. I bet Tesla is even further ahead and the little Google mapping cars show us an autonomous car is possible.

I love new tech, but dang how much of our data are we going to give away to be sold in the pursuit of taking it easy? Of course my Mrs defense was “I loved the way the car looked” and she won’t use all those features. She refuses to even use regular cruise control.

Things that make me realize we think about totally different things as we age knowing I will likely be gone by time my Grands are adults.

2. Member
    I think I am going to be buying vintage vehicles to avoid that crap. I had to go somewhere roughly 70 miles away the other day. Took the backroads and had the windows down and man I was craving to be driving a car with a manual transmission.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

3. Member
    We turned a lot of that new tech stuff on our Honda. Didn’t like that lane correct deal. We have too many pot holes here in WV to dodge.

We just bought a Tuscon Hybrid Limited and it has all the bells and whistles. I love it, like the OP said, the tech is wonderful but my wife doesn't use it either.

Tom

5. Member
    The kids can't drive now. Will this stop red light runner, tailgaters and left lane siitters?

Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    The kids can't drive now. Will this stop red light runner, tailgaters and left lane siitters?

Parents and grandparents should have taught them how to drive better I guess.

As far as the OP, yes they will know how to drive. Driving is not going away. Put away the tin foil and the doom.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 05-26-2024 at 07:53 AM.

I see you’ve found “driver inattention” thing…surprised me the first time it lit up.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I see you’ve found “driver inattention” thing…surprised me the first time it lit up.
    Indeed!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    My mom told me back in the late 80's that I was teaching my then 2 year old son how to drive after a neighbour narked me out for speeding in my then Porsche 911. At the time I laughed at her. Turns out mom was smarter than I thought.

I agree with Mark on parents teaching their children. I disagree with Mark on our children having some of the skills we grew up with.

I see al the tech stuff helping with safety, but then it does take away responsibility and attentiveness. If the new drivers learn driving the Latest and Greatest, what happens when they get their first car that doesn't have all those safety features?
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

My wife’s 2024 Outback has all of those tech bells and whistles. We turned off all of them that we could. Unfortunately, there were a few that could not be shut off.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    My wife’s 2024 Outback has all of those tech bells and whistles. We turned off all of them that we could. Unfortunately, there were a few that could not be shut off.
    If it has the " low speed adaptive cruise" you should try it in traffic. The car basically drives itself. After it tracks the traffic in front and stops you hit a button on the steering wheel or touch the gas and off you go again until traffic stops. I drove several miles in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic without touching the brake or gas. I figured when someone jumped in the buffer the system would go nuts, but it worked just fine.

The steering wheel has two touch pads that change the info in your HUD as you are driving.

Imagine the tech our grandchildren will have in another 20 years.

I hate all this new stuff on the cars. It takes driving from a joy and a privilege to just pure aggravation.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

14. Member
    If it’s got a camera in it to make sure you are paying attention looking forward then guess how many hackers are watching you as well. Way too much BS in new vehicles now, they may as well not even one with a steering wheel anymore.

15. Member
    The gap really hit me several years ago when we took my then little niece and nephew to a museum for children. They have a little store with little plastic food and a little bitty buggy for them to shop. When they are done filling their buggy they go to a little bitty self checkout. The issue became crystal clear when they went to the checkout with an old fashioned little cash register. My niece and nephew were "checking out" when we realised they were trying to scan their groceries vs pushing the buttons on the cash register. They had no idea that you were supposed to push the buttons to ring up groceries. It made for an interesting conversation between us over some fried Oreos about me changing prices on every can on the shelf when prices changed. Many of you may have done the same thing? I still remember grabbing a can and wiping the price off with a rag and solvent before inking a pad and reapplying the new price. This and so much more has changed.

16. Member
    Most young kids can’t drive a stick. It’s already happening

Well my kids are "grandkids", 6 and 8 years old. They'll certainly drive, maybe not an internal combustion, but they'll drive. Urban and pedestrian driving won't truly be widespread autonomous anytime soon. Highway driving isn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Most young kids can’t drive a stick. It’s already happening

...most 40+ adults can't drive manuals, and I'm saying that as a millennial.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodman_fishing View Post
    Well my kids are "grandkids", 6 and 8 years old. They'll certainly drive, maybe not an internal combustion, but they'll drive. Urban and pedestrian driving won't truly be widespread autonomous anytime soon. Highway driving isn't a problem.

...most 40+ adults can't drive manuals, and I'm saying that as a millennial.
    Still kids. My kids are in their 40s but taught all of them to drive a manual

19. Member
    My wife’s 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe has everything on it, and with a 360 cam, backup cam, rear view mirror is a camera, and backup beepers if you get to close to something. She still managed to back into my truck sitting in the driveway.

Im not a fan of a lot of the new tech in her new ride, but fortunately you can still turn it all off and drive normal.

IMO most drivers are overwhelmed by the tech saturation in today's vehicles. When many have never figured out intermittent wipers, cruise control or proper use of exterior lighting, how do you expect them to grasp all of the new stuff ?
    Ranting incoherently

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast