Prop/ Holeshot combination question

Bought a Ballistic XHS XL prop recently and it came with small 5/32 holes drilled into it like the PVS holes so they can be widened to your desired size. Ran it like that at first and found really low 2500 RPM holeshot but still only took 3.5 second to get on plane with myself and a half tank of fuel, very lightly loaded with an empty livewell.

I recently opened up the holes to the standard large size and took the rig out again. Only this time I didn't get to try it on my own and had a buddy on it who weighs 210-220 lbs, a full 31 gallon tank of fuel, a full tournament loadout, a small 12 can cooler with 5 lbs of ice in it, and a half full livewell with a capacity of 35 gallons so you could only imagine how loaded down this thing was. Despite all of that my holeshot was still only about 3.5-4 seconds with the holes opened up to the proper size which usually come sized to that of a Tempest Plus prop.

Anyway, long story short, my main question is how much takeoff RPM loss are we usually looking at under these sort of conditions? I find it hard to believe that opening the PVS style holes are still making the RPM stay the same, but I also find a drop of 1000-1500 RPM hard to believe as well. If my holes are not enough to raise holeshot RPM then I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to need to add a second set of smaller PVS holes like the Bravo 1FS prop has.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 05-06-2024 at 01:56 AM.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

3500-3800 rpms is a good target for holeshot rpms.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    3500-3800 rpms is a good target for holeshot rpms.
    That does not answer my question at all. I was asking about RPM loss under full tournament loadouts loaded almost to the maximum.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    That does not answer my question at all. I was asking about RPM loss under full tournament loadouts loaded almost to the maximum.
    pvs hole size does nothing on max rpms just hole shot rpms--pitch is the number for max rpms with tons of factors
    maybe your question is lost in the weeds of information?
    mike lohn (21xdc) is the BEST prop guy on here so a little respect might be appropriate also
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-08-2024 at 05:25 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    You may try posting your question in the tin boat section. Only saying that based on your signature showing a lowe 178. Most 4 strokes do not use venting, also your swinging a pretty high pitch (24) for a 115 as most mercury 250 pro xs 4 strokes are going with 23 and 24 pitch props to get full operating range of 6200 rpm (not sure what your 115 max rpm is nor what you are reaching) most 90-115hp outboards I have been around are using 19-21 pitch at most which would allow you to spool up into that 3200-3500 rpm to jump out of the hole quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    pvs hole size does nothing on max rpms just hole shot rpms--pitch is the number for max rpms with tons of factors
    maybe your question is lost in the weeds of information?
    mike lohn (21xdc) is the BEST prop guy on here so a little respect might be appropriate also
    I don't see how the question was lost in what was posted. No disrespect was given even though I may see how that was construed in that way.

So if you're reading this Mike, sorry if it was taken in that way.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
    You may try posting your question in the tin boat section. Only saying that based on your signature showing a lowe 178. Most 4 strokes do not use venting, also your swinging a pretty high pitch (24) for a 115 as most mercury 250 pro xs 4 strokes are going with 23 and 24 pitch props to get full operating range of 6200 rpm (not sure what your 115 max rpm is nor what you are reaching) most 90-115hp outboards I have been around are using 19-21 pitch at most which would allow you to spool up into that 3200-3500 rpm to jump out of the hole quicker.
    I might have to, or I might have to resort to good old fashion testing. I have a 22 pitch Tempest but that was running too hot at 6400- 6450 RPM at full gun. This prop is giving 6080- 6100 at full gun unloaded and loaded for tourney weights. The only issue it has is holeshot. I may have to try closing up some or maybe even all of the PVS holes and going from there. From what I've learned there is no one clear cut solution for these props based upon the hull they are on. Apparently some props like more venting and some like less.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

8. Member
    The added weight is not changing the effect of what the PVS do. So the hole shot rpm will be the same. I have also not really seen were the 4 stroke benefit to have them if it does it's a small amount.

If you are getting a 3-4 second hole shot loaded I wouldn't be concerned.

A second thing is for the experts to help they want all the information boat, motor, prop, prop to pad, rpm and what you are trying to achieve.

9. Member
    I don't bother with holeshot RPM's, I simply go by how the boat gets on plane. Every boat is different and half with 4 strokes don't even need any vent holes open. If you're getting on plane in 3.5-4 seconds loaded then leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt James View Post
    I don't bother with holeshot RPM's, I simply go by how the boat gets on plane. Every boat is different and half with 4 strokes don't even need any vent holes open. If you're getting on plane in 3.5-4 seconds loaded then leave it be.
    I appreciate the insight man. I'm only concerned with the holeshot RPM because of when it comes time to load it up on the trailer. I notice that I have less grunt down low to move the entire rig onto the bunks all the way up to the bow roller winch assembly. Even with the bunks wet it doesn't let the rig slide on any easier, but I'm assuming that has to do with the lack of RPM it is capable of building up.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter