Broken part on target lock

I snapped the plastic collar that is slid over the shaft of the target lock. Hummingbird is telling me I have to buy a whole new shaft. The piece isn’t even glued on the metal shaft. It slides on. Link for part.

I need the bottom plastic piece that attached the mega live to the shaft. Thing snapped on a stump on speed 2. Don’t even know how it snapped so easy. 250 is a plain ol money grab. I can see if it was one piece but it isn’t and must be put on by a human to the shaft so why not sell it.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ex-45-52-shaft

thanks,
    jim

The ratchet is bonded to the composite shaft (not metal). I broke mine on a stump, replaced the shaft and used J-B Weld to glue the broken parts together as a backup when I break the new one.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Sounds like this part doesn't take much to break it.
    For some of us that doesn't mean if it will break-- but when.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Sounds like this part doesn't take much to break it.
    For some of us that doesn't mean if it will break-- but when.
    I broke it at this lake, water was muddy and I could not see the submerged stumps. Knocked the LIVE out of line several times before the TL broke. Water was down about 18" in this picture.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Now that's a stump field.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I broke it at this lake, water was muddy and I could not see the submerged stumps. Knocked the LIVE out of line several times before the TL broke. Water was down about 18" in this picture.

Fishing on a lake like that takes two things, dedication and guts!!!

7. Member
    I was in a similar situation. mine was underwater also, but man I was on 2 only. My buddy said no way that broke cause I said I think it snapped. Took trolling motor out of the water and snapped. Fist time I hot something and it snapped. Well guess I'm spending 250 for a 20 dollar part. I slid the collar right off on mine wayne? DIdn't seem bonded?

It broke where the red box is.
    The green arrow is pointed at the hole where the bonding agent was added.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Wayne mine broke where ur arrow is. I’m going to try and fix it as a backup

10. Member
    Jimm, The price of the shaft is a large price to pay, but it is not the speed you are going is not really the way to judge the strength of it. The weight of the boat and resulting momentum
    is what did it. Think of a locomotive moving at 1 MPH. The car on the tracks will move a long way before stopping . Stumps are tough on anything that runs into them. Better luck in the future! Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 05-27-2024 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clarify
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Jimm, The price of the shaft is a large price to pay, but it is not the speed you are going is not really the way to judge the strength of it. The weight of the boat and resulting momentum
    is what did it. Think of a locomotive moving at 1 MPH. The car on the tracks will move a long way before stopping . Stumps are tough on anything that runs into them. Better luck in the future! Bob
    Was barely I mean barely moving. we actually had just started to move again cause we were both hooked up so I hit spot lock to hold us. We released the fish and I hit the pedal to go again. I totally get what you are saying but there is no way it isn't snapping again if I hit a stump again.

I really try to never be negative but my overall experience with this thing compared to my buddies with the Garmin is night and day. To get a clear image I had to go to a 4th dedicated battery and for it not to die on the water in 4 hours. dedicated lines. boot up my equipment in a certain order. send it back to factory cause of the next interference issue alot of us had. Freezes when using it and reboots.

My 3 friends with Garmin. literally threw it on their boat with no extra battery, power buttons, dedicated lines and such. it just works. and it works well. but I wanted to stay in that "one boat network". and now another 250 for a pole that I don't even need. just a new bracket.

I'm kinda done as I think about it more. I am seriously thinking about buying a used Garmin and mount it on my target lock and use the target lock to move the Garmin.

And again Bob I tots get wheat you mean but this is my 2nd season with it and I still really am not even dialed in all the way yet cause of all the issues.
    Last edited by jimim; 05-29-2024 at 05:44 PM. Reason: reword

12. Member
    Buy and do what you like. I was just relating how it could break in the same conditions no matter who makes it. Good luck with whatever you buy. I think you need the mega hooked up to use target lock as well as your garmin. It is incorporated into the target lock wiring.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Buy and do what you like. I was just relating how it could break in the same conditions no matter who makes it. Good luck with whatever you buy. I think you need the mega hooked up to use target lock as well as your garmin. It is incorporated into the target lock wiring.
    yah I know it still needs to be hooked up. I'm going finish this season with it and see how I make out but if I have anymore issues I'm done with it. Sorry I didn't mean you personally re: flaming me. WAs more of a blanket statement for everyone reading. lol sorry about that.