Mega Live--Water Clarity Effects and Bait Location Question

This is my first year using Mega Live, which I have on a Solix 15. I have been fishing Winnebago system in WI, which has a good amount of spring time sediment in it. Each time I have used the Mega Live the screen is so filled with particles it is useless, even with sensitivity turned all the way down. Any tips or is that just the way it is in this type of water?

I also fish in a fair amount of current. That results in the bait being quickly taken down current and out of the view of the Mega Live transducer. In watching others use it, it seems you need to be adjusting what the transducer is pointing at to find it. I am curious what rigs people use in heavy current to combat this issue. Drop shot was the first thing that came to mind. Thx for any help!

2. Member
    I fish the Mississippi river, and sediment does not cause the issues you are talking about. Try updating the software or adjusting the angle of the transducer. The current, however, will always make it difficult to locate your bait with mega live or any other live transducer. The only way I can see mine fairly easily in current is when I'm anchored and casting straight downstream. Otherwise, I'm mostly using it to locate fish and cast to them without seeing my bait. Live is less helpful in current as opposed to still water in my experience.

3. Member
    I fish the mississippi river as well and the current certainly plays a part with tracking your lure. I really just use mega live to see if fish are in a spot. If so then I know it could be worth the time so I at least know what depth/distance to work.

4. Member
    Just a helpful thought, be aware of the degrees your mega live is setup with. 60 degrees is the common starting point. Good for me at 0 to 25 fow. If I go shallower, I will adjust the mega live transducer to 70 degrees or 7 clicks up from straight down. You gotta adjust angle and the sensitivity to match your situation. Good Luck!

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I fish a lot of current on the St Lawrence and I quickly found out that as long as the FFS transducer was on the trolling motor shaft, the FFS was going to be little more than an expensive gadget that looks good at the ramp . Then I added Target Lock and all that changed - I can spotlock or stand on the trolling motor in current and have Target Lock point the ML transducer so it can follow the lure down the current.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger Z521c, 2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Casting, bait positioning in the beam, and tracking is definitely something that will take some time. It's almost like muscle memory and needs to be built up. It's my first season with it a well. I've got somewhere between 12-14 hours on it so far and it's just getting to the point where I'm not thinking about moving the beam around to keep the bait in sight, it's just happening. A good tip would be use a bigger profile bait like a 3/8 jig to start dialing in the settings and getting use to keeping the beam on it.

7. Member
    Thanks for the tips!