Trim fault 1012-25 , engine guardian 2011-23

2023 mercury 150 outboard. Approx 150 hrs.

Today I had a trim fault show up on my vessel view 1012-25. This happened sporadically throughout the day and on the way home the motor went into guardian mode 2011-23. I'm assuming the trim fault kicked the motor into guardian mode. Any ideas what is causing this?

2. Member
    v-8s are having a set screw come loose causing trim issue? maybe the same thing is happening to you?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Interesting. Where is this screw? Has mercury put out a service bulletin?

4. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

5. Member
    Thank you. In the mean time I will read those posts.
    I checked my set screw. It is there. Tried to rotate with my fingers and it didn't budge. Not sure if that means much

6. Member
    Add your engine SN to your post for a better response from Don.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

7. Member
    3b337900

8. Member
    All the local shops are booked months out.
    Is there an ohm test I can perform on the sender to see if it is the culprit?

I am only running vessel view mobile so I don't have any trim guage data. I have an sc1000 guage on order since I have been wanting one anyway. Once thats in I can reference trim guage to motor position.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Trim sensor is likely shorted or the sensor return voltage circuit is broken/open circuit (voltage reported to PCM is lower than expected, essentially near zero).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    to the top moved it up as it got down a lot and didn't want don to miss it when he was back on here
    Cool thanks.

So I checked the electrical connections to the trim sensor. Looked tight. No sign of water intrusion or corrosion.

I ordered a new sensor part number 8m0084366. I know its throwing parts at it but I might get lucky and get back on the water before one of the shops gets me in.

I am pretty displeased however that my one year old motor already has sensors going out that will throw it into limp mode. How am I to trust this motor moving forward?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohawks688 View Post
    Cool thanks.

So I checked the electrical connections to the trim sensor. Looked tight. No sign of water intrusion or corrosion.

I ordered a new sensor part number 8m0084366. I know its throwing parts at it but I might get lucky and get back on the water before one of the shops gets me in.

I am pretty displeased however that my one year old motor already has sensors going out that will throw it into limp mode. How am I to trust this motor moving forward?
    LOTS of supplier issues with every manufacturers!! junk parts and components everywhere. todays world basically, no end in sight either
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-22-2024 at 09:42 AM.
    MAGA

12. Member
    Your motor is under warranty. Why are you buying the parts?
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS Lives

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    Your motor is under warranty. Why are you buying the parts?
    Because it is a 1 month minimum wait to get into a shop and I want to get back on the water. $100 bucks is worth it to me not to miss fishing time.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohawks688 View Post

Sorry you have had a problem, but it's an electronic device and unfortunately despite "man's" best efforts there's one or two that slip by and for whatever reason either fail, don't work in the first place, or end up with the wires chafed enough to cause problems when in the water.

Fortunately that's what your engine warranty is for. Hopefully it is just the sensor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Makes me want to go back to my old two stroke ��

16. Member
    OK I have replaced the trim sensor and am not getting the error code anymore in the garage. I guess it's time for a water test to confirm.

Side question, please let me know If this needs another post but I think it applies. I installed a smart craft guage to hopefully be able to see trim position. I am getting an "engine coms lost" message on the guage. No corresponding fault on the vessel view mobile. Ideas? The sc is version 9.0. This is with key on engine off (in the garage) does engine need to be running?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How or where did you plug this gauge in, and how or where is the VesselView Mobile plugged in?

In order to use the gauge, you must have a complete Smartcraft Network installed.