60 v. 90 degree ballheads

What's your take on these two angle designs on a ball head. I have a couple dozen very nicely made 3/16 and 1/4 VMC 3/0 and 4/0 ball heads with the 60 degree line tie and it is great for swimming baits, grubs, etc. Is this line tie angle going yo provide as much wobble with a strolling tech?

2. Member
    I'll preface this by saying I don't mid stroll or hover stroll, so I have no experience with the different line tie positions. But I would say that you most likely won't get the same amount of roll/wobble out of a 60 degree line tie that you will from a 90 degree one. The best/most popular jig heads for strolling all use a 90 degree line tie, and I'm sure that's done on purpose. I do know the weight positioning on the Owner Range Roller head is designed to de-stabilize the head and make it rock from side to side, but another popular head, the Gamakatsu Horizon Head doesn't have the same weight placement but does use the 90 degree line tie. Not saying the 60 degree won't work, but I think the 90 degree is best.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I don't mid stroll or hover stroll, so I have no experience with the different line tie positions. But I would say that you most likely won't get the same amount of roll/wobble out of a 60 degree line tie that you will from a 90 degree one. The best/most popular jig heads for strolling all use a 90 degree line tie, and I'm sure that's done on purpose. I do know the weight positioning on the Owner Range Roller head is designed to de-stabilize the head and make it rock from side to side, but another popular head, the Gamakatsu Horizon Head doesn't have the same weight placement but does use the 90 degree line tie. Not saying the 60 degree won't work, but I think the 90 degree is best.
    Yeah, that's my thought looking at it from a physics standpoint of where the line tie leverage would be at. I find that these heads work just fine for Flukes and Super Flukes and we fish these rigs in the same manner as what peeps do with the Damiki and "strolling" techs, aside the rod shaking, and these heads work great.