Protecting Hard Case paint on avx1980?

I am going to order an avx1980 in the next month or so. After much research obviously the paint issue is an issue. Has anyone tried any coatings or aftermarket treatments to protect the factory paint? Kinda makes me ill thinking about dropping 60k on a boat that apparently is going to get all scratched up. Is the factory paint really that bad? Any color you guys suggest that scratches won’t show up as bad? Anyway, thanks in advance and I appreciate your time for giving me your input.

2. Member
    Mine is a 2019 model, white with a silver bottom. I try pretty hard to take care of it. It’s kept inside when not in use and I try to never let it get up against the dock. I use a remote with my trolling motor to anchor it away from the dock while loading or unloading. I fish alone most of the time. Although it has a few small scratches but from I’d say 10 ft away from it, it still looks new. Maybe I’m a little too picky with mine or the paint is not as bad as you hear?
    Good luck with your new boat! I think you’ll enjoy it!
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

3. Member
    Protect it the same way you protect/wash/wax/polish etc your vehicles. I tie mine off at the dock so that the rub rail touches the dock and not the painted areas.

4. Member
    If your gunna fish in the brush or around stumps it's gunna get nicks and scratches no way around and the sides dent very easy and decals scratch easily you also get rock chips from the road put roc brush on back of your pickup helps

My advise would be to buy a glass boat for the same money. Unless your set on a Tin.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s with Blue tooth for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger, Minn Kota Quest TM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    My advise would be to buy a glass boat for the same money. Unless your set on a Tin.
    I concur with this viewpoint. The main reason I own an AVX 1980 is for angling in small, electric-only waterways or small natural lakes where the VX20 cannot be launched or loaded effectively (shallow unimproved gravel boat ramps, etc.), making the aluminum hull advantageous for use on these bodies of water. Unfortunately, scratching the paint on an aluminum boat is inevitable; it has occurred with every aluminum boat I've owned, from a Bass Tracker 175TW to a Ranger RT188 and the AVX 1980. It's just the nature of paint on aluminum. I've purchased touch-up paint from Vexus and apply it as necessary on my AVX 1980 and move onto the next fishing trip. Alternatively, as suggested, carefully consider your boating needs and decide whether you're willing to invest $60K in an aluminum or prefer a fiberglass bass boat instead.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

7. Member
    I have owned my AVX 1880 for 3 years and the boat looks like new from a distance. But up close, it shows the few scratches from dock rash. I have used the touch up paint as mentioned, but I've never had this kind of cosmetic issue with the many glass boats I've owned. I really like my AVX 1880 except for the thin paint. It is an awesome fishing rig with spotlock and great dry storage. But if I ever buy another boat, I will consider going back to fiberglass.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    I have owned my AVX 1880 for 3 years and the boat looks like new from a distance. But up close, it shows the few scratches from dock rash. I have used the touch up paint as mentioned, but I've never had this kind of cosmetic issue with the many glass boats I've owned. I really like my AVX 1880 except for the thin paint. It is an awesome fishing rig with spotlock and great dry storage. But if I ever buy another boat, I will consider going back to fiberglass.
    I absolutely agree! The difference between paint on aluminum and gel coat is quite evident. My 2001 Ranger 522DVX remained immaculate until I sold it last spring. However, my AVX 1980, upon closer inspection, reveals minor scratches from docking, contact with standing timber, and tree branches encountered while retrieving stray lures from the shore. Despite this, it remains an excellent fishing platform, though I would switch to using my VX20 for these smaller bodies of water, in a heartbeat, if it wasn't for the unimproved boat landings!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"