Shifter Issues after Waterpump replacement

I replaced the impeller and gaskets on my 175 HP Optimax #2B230713 and thought I followed all the instructions from the FAQ properly but I seemed to have messed something up with the shifter. Before I go and drop the LU again I was wondering what might I have done wrong so I don't repeat it.

I had the motor in neutral when I dropped the lower unit and I made sure not to spin the drive shaft until I placed the mark on it. It went together fine and I think I lined up the shift shaft correctly. But when I try to shift the motor into gear at the helm the throttle will be really stiff and pretty much stop in one direction forward or reverse. If I put it into neutral the prop spins freely and when I go to try and shift it into gear again the stiffness will switch directions. Where it was stiff going forward before it will now be stiff in reverse and seem to go into forward no problem. Put it into neutral spin the prop by hand and the stiffness seems to change direction again. It may be more random than that but spinning the prop definitely seems to impact it at some point. This is all with the motor not running.

The prop does spin freely in neutral but if I put it into either forward or reverse the prop is locked and won't spin in either direction.

Did I just not get the shift shaft engaged properly? Any ideas would be appreciated so I know what to look out for before I drop it again.

2. Member
    You need to spin the prop by hand when attempting to shift into F or R with the engine off. The prop will be locked when in gear. There are square cut teeth on the clutch dogs, if they're not aligned, it will not go into gear. Do not try to force into gear without rotating prop by hand.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    ^^^^^^ +1 if it shifts from N to f and to R it is aligned correctly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Thanks guys, just so I am understanding correctly. Everything may be assembled correctly, I need to have someone spin the prop and then try shifting into forward and then into reverse. If it goes fine both directions when spinning the prop I should be all set? Or I'm ok to try and shift with the motor running on muffs?

5. Member
    put it on muffs should be fine , idle speed only no reving now can damage gearcase
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Will do and roger on the idle speed only. Hopefully all goes well, finishing up a Mercmonitor install and the waterpump replacement. If it goes well next step will be to drop it in the water and see if I resolved all my issues from last year and finally start thinking about fishing! Thanks for the help.

7. Member
    If you put engine into neutral prior to disassembly, did not touch shift handle or shift shaft while servicing water pump, it will be correctly lined up. Marking the driveshaft is so you don't have to rotate engine to align driveshaft splines with crankshaft when reinserting lower unit, won't affect shift shaft at all.

All will be good when you run it on muffs as Joe mentioned above.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Thanks SilverFox, your instructions in the FAQ were super helpful.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Concur with above suggestions, and to reiterate: NEVER attempt to shift your engine unless it is RUNNING or the PROP IS TURNING. With a mechanical advantage of about 5:1 at that control handle, exerting force on the hand can result in breakage or failure of shift components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Thanks Don, yeah I was completely ignorant of that. Lesson learned for sure, should get it on the muffs this weekend and confirm everything looks good.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Bug View Post
    Thanks SilverFox, your instructions in the FAQ were super helpful.
    My pleasure! Since I don't have any helpers, when it comes to stabbing the lower unit, I want it to be one and done.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax