Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fishing as a co angler on LSC

In a few weeks I am going to fish a small club paper tournament and need help on what I should expect. My thought is 3 rods 2 spinning(ned, small tube) 1 casting (Bladed jig) am i thinking right

2. Member
    To add to this i have fished as a co angler twice on LSC and can not figure it out the guy in the front can catch 5 and I find 1

3. Member
    I don't spend as much time on St Clair as most of the other MI guys but in a few weeks, who knows what to expect, other than most fish should be in postspawn mode.
    Without knowing what your boater will do or how deep they'll be fishing, I'd say definitely bring a dropshot setup (spin) and a moving bait setup (cast). Third would be a tube rod that can throw swimbaits. I can't stand throwing a ned rig even though it catches 'em, so there's that

4. Member
    My recommendation would be a Drop Shot, Swimbait, Tube, and a setup that you could throw a Bladed Jig or Crankbait. You could always throw a Ned on your Drop Shot setup or even a Tube on Swimbait setup if you're concerned about the number of rods. Fish were difficult to pattern this weekend, not sure if it was wind or cold front. The shallows had a lot of algae on the bottom, which may or may not clear in the next two weeks. You likely still have fish in all phases of spawn. Being a co-angler is tough if your boater isn't on a pattern, but just focus on covering water.
    Last edited by akowalc1; 05-06-2024 at 06:12 PM.

5. Member
    You’re missing out on quality fish if you don’t have a jerk bait at the ready.

My favorite is a jerkbait there, but I'm guy who loves to throw them. The time you are going I've been there when they will only bite a drop shot. Go short 8 to 10 inch leader. Small plastics (baby z, flat worm, or something similar).

7. Member
    Jerkbait and d-shot would be my two choices.

8. Member
    I dont know why but a jerkbait has me confused on how to fish it particularly how do you get the depth you want maybe i will have to try and take time and learn it

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    I dont know why but a jerkbait has me confused on how to fish it particularly how do you get the depth you want maybe i will have to try and take time and learn it
    They're designed to run specific depths. I prefer using baits that run 4-6 feet deep. When the fish are active they have no problem rising up off the bottom.

10. Member
    I've had days where they come up from 20 fow for a jerkbait that only dives 4 to 6'.... if the waters over 65° you can't rip it, work it hard enough!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    I've had days where they come up from 20 fow for a jerkbait that only dives 4 to 6'.... if the waters over 65° you can't rip it, work it hard enough!
    If you think this ^ isn’t true, watch KVD work a jerk bait sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    100% I've seen this too many times to count now at this point. Clear water and you will be shocked how far they will come off the bottom for a jerkbait.

3 tube rods are all you need
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    3 tube rods are all you need
    Not very fun.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Not very fun.
    its about winning money not having fun
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    its about winning money not having fun

I have a job... Fun is why I fish! Sorry about your situation.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

17. Member
    I am not really looking to win it would be nice its more about learning the lake as well as and catching fish

not looking to win?

19. Member
    Update, had a great time i could not believe the number of boats and the the number of fish caught finish 8th and boater was 3rd. That lake is sure special to have numbers of fish like that

Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    Update, had a great time i could not believe the number of boats and the the number of fish caught finish 8th and boater was 3rd. That lake is sure special to have numbers of fish like that
    Glad you had a great time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast