Thread: Motor I’d

Motor I’d

Found a boat for sale that has no tag that identifies the motor in the usual place . Some one has removed it. Is there another area with a number that will identify this motor. Mercury 90hp

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Might" have a sticker or a welch plug inside the cowling, depending on which type 90hp and about when it was built.

Either way... I'd steer clear if the serial tag is missing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I think they removed the tag because they put 90hp on a boat only rated for 70hp

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm no lawyer, but isn't that much like covering up a parking violation with a felony?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor