Question 2005 295 pro xl dc question

Hey guys, I have a 2005 295 Pro XL DC with a 2005 Mercury 200hp EFI 3.0L 2 stroke. I have recently ran into some engine issues, and I am starting to learn more about engines now since this is my first boat. My question is for people with similar setups.
    What propeller are you running / what do you recommend? What is your prop to pad? I have listed more details below. Current top speed is 69.8 with a Solas Lexor 4 blade 24 pitch. I used to have a 26p 3 blade Mercury Fury, but I bent the blades on it, don't know if it is worth the repair cost to fix it.

Boat has:
    -36v Garmin Force Trolling Motor
    -5 Lead Acid Batteries.
    -2 graphs at bow 9" and 10" Garmin Echomaps with Livescope 32.
    -1 graph at console Humminbird 1198c SI.

2. Member
    I have a 2004 195 pro xl with a 2017 200 optimax. I run a 24 Fury and get about the same results you get. I also run a 26 Tempest that lifts better and is a little faster. Hole shot is better with the Fury. I have my prop to pad at 3.25 below pad. With the Fury I am turning 5700-5800 rpm.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    I have a 2004 195 pro xl with a 2017 200 optimax. I run a 24 Fury and get about the same results you get. I also run a 26 Tempest that lifts better and is a little faster. Hole shot is better with the Fury. I have my prop to pad at 3.25 below pad. With the Fury I am turning 5700-5800 rpm.
    My prop to pad is about 3.5". Do you think I should keep this 4 blade 24p or go with something else? The tech is letting me try it, and says he is going to offer me a deal on it. Some guys in another thread are telling me to go with a 25p Tempest 3 blade.

4. Member
    It's your money! The Tempest would be perfect but the performance gain over the Fury would be small.

Your performance is pretty darn good right now. Your hull preforms much better in waves and chop with the 4 blade prop and you won't gain much with a 3 blade. I've stuck with my 4 blade Trophy because of this.
    What are your max RPMs with your current set up?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Your performance is pretty darn good right now. Your hull preforms much better in waves and chop with the 4 blade prop and you won't gain much with a 3 blade. I've stuck with my 4 blade Trophy because of this.
    What are your max RPMs with your current set up?
    Thanks, I do like how well the boat handles in comparison to what I had before (26p 3 blade Fury). The trick of this whole issue is that right now my tach is not reading properly, so RPMs are relatively unknown. The boat doesn't sound like its over revving, but really who knows without a tach? I am currently getting quoted for Mercury Smartcraft. My wallet is telling me no, but the fish are telling me yes. Also, I noticed this weekend that I need to level out the boat, so hopefully that will eliminate some chine walk for better speed and handling.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    It's your money! The Tempest would be perfect but the performance gain over the Fury would be small.
    Thanks for the reply. I totally agree, I cannot justify $800.00 for a new propeller (Tempest). On the Mississippi River, the life of a propeller is never guaranteed. I have seen guys get a shiny brand new stainless steel prop and brag about it at the ramp. At the end of the day they come back, and either are missing blades or the propeller was turned into a pretzel. I can afford the new prop, but I don't really see the point in spending all that money if I am constantly at risk of hitting stumps or sand bars. Not to mention the river is super low this year and it won't be going up anytime soon.

8. Member
    Enjoy your boat and don't worry about a couple mph.

9. Member
    I have an '04 295 ProXL with a 200 Optimax turning a 25p Tempest Plus and I'm getting about the same performance as you.
    I agree with the other recommendations. You're getting about what your platform can deliver so just go fishing and enjoy.
    BTW - Mark Croxton can repair some pretty badly damaged propellers for a small fraction of the new cost, in case the inevitable happens.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL, 200 Mercury Optimax, 25p Tempest+

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WCBasser View Post
    I have an '04 295 ProXL with a 200 Optimax turning a 25p Tempest Plus and I'm getting about the same performance as you.
    I agree with the other recommendations. You're getting about what your platform can deliver so just go fishing and enjoy.
    BTW - Mark Croxton can repair some pretty badly damaged propellers for a small fraction of the new cost, in case the inevitable happens.
    Thank you for the response. I plan to contact Mark about this Fury I have. I don't know what the cost of a re-pitch is paired with the cost of a repair, but I wouldn't think it would come close to the new price of a Fury.

11. Member
    I'm sure it won't be nearly as expensive as new. Mark just repaired a badly damaged Tempest Plus for me and the cost was quite reasonable (and the workmanship quality was outstanding).
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL, 200 Mercury Optimax, 25p Tempest+