Water/Temp buzzer at WOT.

I have an AA model ETEC 250 HO E250DHLAAB S/N: 5364576. This past Saturday i was out on the lake and had no problems all day until headed back to the ramp. I was at WOT and the temp/water buzzer and light came on but it did not go into limp mode. I slowed down and shutdown after a minute or two then started it back up. I then ran the boat at 2-3K RPM back to the ramp and nothing happened. The telltale was fine spitting water like it should. If I can fix myself I would prefer it because the nearest service center is about 2 hours away. Thanks in advance for any insights.

2. Member
    Tell us more about the gauge that was displaying the light. Was this a system check tach with low oil, no oil, overheat and check engine lights?
    can you tell what brand of gauge it is? Boat brand?
    also wondering if you have the engine connected into any NMEA 2000 displays?
    the engine EMM is what will latch to engine into a speed limiting mode. This is of course based on information from the temp sender on the engine.
    I would start by looking for a short circuit feeding the gauge false information.
    if the Emm triggered the warning then Evinrude diagnostics would also indicate the fault.

3. Member
    Boat is a 2007 Ranger Z21, as far as brand of gauge I couldnt say I'm not home right now, but the gauge is as you described. low/no oil, overheat, check engine. I do not have my engine connected to any NMEA 2000 displays.

4. Member
    So this is a Ranger branded gauge is my educated guess. So if you are absolutely sure the light was the ‘Hot’ light, and not the check engine light, then suspect some sort of short in a wire feeding the gauge or a flaky gauge.
    To be sure I recommend you have someone run an EV diagnostic and verify what type of fault may have been triggered.