Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Towing a Bass Boat with a Mid-size SUV

So follow on to the mid-size truck thread, what about towing a 3500-4000 lb Bass boat with a mid-size SUV that's rated for 5000-6000 lb capacity? I've towed with a few V8 Dodge Durango's and they all did fine, and my dad's Jeep Grand Cherokee has the Eco diesel which is awesome for towing. But what about some of the others? Not looking for brand new vehicle info.

Some of the vehicles I'm talking about are:

2012-18 Honda Pilot (5000 lb towing)
    2017+ Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti QX60 (6000 lb towing, 5000 lb for the QX60)
    2014-19 Hyundai Santa Fe (5000 lb towing)
    2012-19 Audi Q7 (6600/7700 lb towing)
    2013-19 MB ML350/GLE350 (6600/7200 lb towing)
    2018-21 VW Atlas (5000 lb towing)
    2013-17 Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave (5200 lb towing, 4500 for the Enclave)

All of these would be the V6 version with AWD and the factory towing package. Some of the above were available with a diesel, which I know would tow better. And I know a lot of guys will frown on the European cars, but they are an option here.

Bonus question - what about some of the more non-traditional large SUVs like:

2013-18 MB GL/GLS (7500 lb towing)
    2014-19 Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX80 (8500 lb towing)

Appreciate the feedback, especially real world experience, related to my questions.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    I’d also add in Dodge Durango (v6 rated for 6200lbs)

I tow with a 2014 v6 Durango and it’s been great. My boat weighs about 3700 on the trailer. Usually averaged 16-19mpg towing. Have emergency stopped a couple times for a deer (going 60) and a red light runner (going 40) and never felt out of control.

were looking to trade in our Durango in a couple months, the ones on our shortlist are a Jeep gladiator, wrangler Rubicon, or Grand Cherokee (a GC is cheaper than a Durango and essentially the same vehicle), Subaru Ascent, Toyota Highlander, and a ford explorer. I only tow less than 10 times a year and most lakes are within 1.5hrs of me, with 3 that I frequent involving some long hills/mountains, I don’t need a full size pickup for the remaining 99% of my driving.

my dad tows their pontoon with a 2019 VW Atlas and it does great. He’s had some minor issues though and they’re expensive to fix.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 05-16-2024 at 04:50 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Excellent info - thanks!

I've heard some negative things about towing with the Gladiator, but that was a while ago. SIL had an Ascent for a bit and wouldn't recommend that at all...Subaru makes fine smaller cars, but the Ascent is not one of them!

I fish 4-5 times a month and most lakes are 1-1.5 hours from me with some hills involved, but no real mountains. A few times a year I make longer trips that do involve larger hills, but that's it. Most of my towing is flat ground or small hills. And the tow vehicle doesn't get driven much - I haven't even hit 30k miles on my 2019 Ram 1500 yet!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

4. Member
    Lexus GX460- 6500lbs
    Toyota 4Runner- 5000lbs.

The 4runner is a 300K/mi vehicle and the lexus is a million mile vehicle. All the vehicles you listed with the exception of the Honda are going to cost you lots of $$ in the future if you plan on owning them past 100k/mi's

5. Member
    My 2015 Pilot hauled my 1991 Ranger 395VS better than my 2007 Tahoe. The Pilot also does fine with my lighter Ranger RT188P.

6. Member
    Go full size truck if you can , I towed with a midsized truck for one year there is no comparison,
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

7. Member
    I pull my 2005 stratos 201 with a 2014 QX80 and it’s does good. It does like fuel as most all V8 gas vehicles do. As for the pathfinder I would suggest going with the newer body style. 2021 up I believe. It has a 9 speed non cvt and I personally haven’t heard anything bad.

8. Member
    You should add the Toyota Highlander to the list; can tow 5000 lbs.

9. Member
    I used a 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD with 220k+ miles on it to pull a Tracker 175TXW. I did this for five years, and it was never an issue. I am located in East TN, so a fair amount of hills and such as well as the propensity for steep icy ramps in the winter time. I did install a big transmission cooler and a power steering cooler. The trailer was single axle with no brakes, and the Pilot’s brakes would get a little hot sometimes. I would not want to tow much more with it however.

It seems a good rule of thumb is not to exceed 75% or so of a vehicles towing capacity understanding that other factors can influence this such as trailer brakes, environmental conditions, terrain, etc.

*EDIT*
    Just wanted to add the Pilot’s towing capacity is 5k lb and I estimate the total package weight for the Tracker was around 3k - 3.5k lb.

10. Member
    For as long as they make them and as long as I breath, I will by a V-8 vehicle for towing. I want my vehicle to last 200K+ miles. I just can't wrap my head around buying an already stressed out V-6 and then subjecting it to the rigors of towing.

11. Banned
    I wouldn't want to tow my boat with any of those you mentioned, except for the Nissan Armada.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    Lexus GX460- 6500lbs
    Toyota 4Runner- 5000lbs.

The 4runner is a 300K/mi vehicle and the lexus is a million mile vehicle. All the vehicles you listed with the exception of the Honda are going to cost you lots of $$ in the future if you plan on owning them past 100k/mi's
    Traded my wife's 8 year old GX460 yesterday, only because she just wanted something new so we bought her a new RX350. I drive a 2023 FT 4WD 4 Runner (our 4th since 2004) and none of them have spent a day in the shop for warranty work.

OP The two above are the only body on frame construction mid sized SUV's left. Don't buy either to save on gas! I have pulled about every sized bass boat made over the years with the Toyota products. You won't win any races with or without a boat in tow. They just go and go and go.

I bought an AWD Ridgeline for a while it also pulled just fine and had some of the best brakes of any vehicle I have ever owned. That one did spend a few days in the shop for warranty repairs, but none of them made it un-drive able.

13. Member
    make sure they have a true transmission and not a cvt trans
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

14. Member
    I have a 2017 BMW x5 diesel. IT is a beast but the maintenance is kinda an expensive nightmare. Average about 35mpg though
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

15. Member
    I would buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee like you say your Dad uses. I have had 3 of them to tow with and they are great. If you really really need something like a pickup...but a Ford F150. Those things are great and there is a reason they are the best selling pickup.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    Go full size truck if you can , I towed with a midsized truck for one year there is no comparison,
    Agree. Full size will always get better towing mpg also

17. Member
    I don't think you asked a fully qualified question. Can a v6 tow a 3700# bass boat, most commonly yes if the tow rating for the vehicle is 5000# or more. From my experience, the fully qualified question talks about who & what else is in your vehicle, the terrain, and your typical distance to the lake.

A Toyota Highlander v6 gas 2014 to 2022 with tow package will tow your boat great if just running to the lake an hour away with a buddy. If you have it loaded down with gear or family or both, you have overloaded the vehicle and your hitch might drag bottom when going off the curb at the end of your driveway. On a 1000 mile drive in a single day, you will feel some extra mental fatique related to feeling like you have a small anchor behind you. None of this is dangerous nor do I have any concerns about durability for a Toyota. Makes a great commutor SUV. Easy to drive in traffic, easy to park. Good gas milage and gets better as you get into early 2020 models. Similar in feel to my father 2009 Honda Pilot but I only towed with that, me driving, maybe 10 times and that was many models ago for the Pilot.

The Durango V6 with tow package is a bit better puller then the Highlander related to (1) a frame that is stouter and (2) fundamentally a rear wheel drive. Would I pick a Durango over a Highlander;;; clear no. Cost of ownership of a Durango is very high after year 8 and I had 5k in electrical recalls before year 8. Also Jeep and Dodge reliability numbers on new cars going down. Others may want them, I wish them well.

2000 Chevy Tahoe- Did not tow as well as the v6 Durango and handling in town was a dog. Vehicle started to fall apart of rust at about year 11. No more Chevy for me.

2019 Toyota Sequoia V8- shockingly good to tow with. 1000 miles in a day and almost don't know the boat is behind me. Not sure why it is so much better then the old Tahoe. Like the tahoe, a dog in heavy traffic or parking in urban areas. this is a great choice for a 3rd vehicle/ spare vehicle where it is used for hauling or towing or hauling 8 people.

2019 Era Lexus 460- drives great and epic reliability and can be had for $30k with 80K miles on them. A well maintained one can go 500k miles. Frame is stiffer then my Durango or Highlander. Is good in traffic based on my drives of this vehicle. Never towed with one just drove a dealers loaner for a week. Drinks as many $$ of gas as the Sequoia because it needs premium.

If I could only have one, had moderate hauls with a buddy to the lake, I would go highlander if gas price is high (like Cali) and traffic is heavy (like much of west Cali).

Yes, I am biased to vehicles that last ~15+ years and are economical to maintain.
    Last edited by davidsa; 05-17-2024 at 02:57 PM.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Appreciate all the great responses...and the ones that don't really apply either, LOL!

I already have a full size truck, and have had 3 Durango's in the past. Mopar products have been very good to us and I'm inclined to stay with them. The reason for asking about the others was I'm thinking of downsizing as I really only use the truck for towing and occasional trips around town. Just don't need an expensive, newer truck sitting so much...and yes I can afford it. So just thinking about options...

The CVT tranny in the Pathfinder kind of eliminates that one. The Chevy products are out as well due to the bad reviews on towing. The Hyundai & VW would be fine if just occasionally towing, but would get stressed with towing a lot, so they are out. I'm not at all interested in a Highlander or a 4Runner, and I know all about Toyota reliability. I've owned a couple Toyota's, been in a lot more and they just aren't for me. Same with Ford products - no Explorer's or F150 ever! I can't do a BMW either, if I go with a European vehicle it will be the big MB GL/GLS or the Audi Q7.

So what's left?

2014-21 Jeep Grand Cherokee (6200/7200/7400 lb towing)
    Adding 2014-20 Lexus GX460 (6500 lb towing)

So I think I'm left with the above to chose from. Maybe another Durango as they were all good to us. And the Jeep GC has a lot of options, easy to get parts and find places to work on them and they do tow boats really well. I do understand that the MB and Audi will be more expensive to repair/maintain. But they also offer a lot of vehicle for the money and I have a pretty good mechanic locally who can work on them. The Pilot, Armada/QX80, and GX460 are all interesting as they would probably do exactly what I need/want at a decent price and with less repair bills as well.

Some really excellent responses and real world experiences - appreciate all of them!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    Appreciate all the great responses...and the ones that don't really apply either, LOL!

I already have a full size truck, and have had 3 Durango's in the past. Mopar products have been very good to us and I'm inclined to stay with them. The reason for asking about the others was I'm thinking of downsizing as I really only use the truck for towing and occasional trips around town. Just don't need an expensive, newer truck sitting so much...and yes I can afford it. So just thinking about options...

The CVT tranny in the Pathfinder kind of eliminates that one. The Chevy products are out as well due to the bad reviews on towing. The Hyundai & VW would be fine if just occasionally towing, but would get stressed with towing a lot, so they are out. I'm not at all interested in a Highlander or a 4Runner, and I know all about Toyota reliability. I've owned a couple Toyota's, been in a lot more and they just aren't for me. Same with Ford products - no Explorer's or F150 ever! I can't do a BMW either, if I go with a European vehicle it will be the big MB GL/GLS or the Audi Q7.

So what's left?

2014-21 Jeep Grand Cherokee (6200/7200/7400 lb towing)
    Adding 2014-20 Lexus GX460 (6500 lb towing)

So I think I'm left with the above to chose from. Maybe another Durango as they were all good to us. And the Jeep GC has a lot of options, easy to get parts and find places to work on them and they do tow boats really well. I do understand that the MB and Audi will be more expensive to repair/maintain. But they also offer a lot of vehicle for the money and I have a pretty good mechanic locally who can work on them. The Pilot, Armada/QX80, and GX460 are all interesting as they would probably do exactly what I need/want at a decent price and with less repair bills as well.

Some really excellent responses and real world experiences - appreciate all of them!
    From what I've been told, the Nissan's and the Infiniti's have tranny problem. Not sure what years or even if the info is correct but a Nissan dealer told me the Armana has issues.
    The Benz and Audi are expensive to repair especially the Benz.
    Jeep.....if you do some research, Jeep is not exactly very reliable vehicle. I know many will argue but that is what I found when I was doing exactly what your doing....looking for a good, reliable mid size SUV.
    The Honda and the lexus....cant go wrong. Both great suv's but the Lexus has the luxury and some nice features. We bought a GX and we've got a 4runner. The 4runner has become the dog hauler, tow rig, driving on the beach , and the around town fun rig. The GX will replace the 4runner when the time comes because it can do it all better.

20. Member
    Good friend sold his infinity qx80. Did not give me a favorable reliability report
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast