Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2024 Daiwa Steez SV TW

Any feedback on this one?

2. Member
    I have one. JDM version.

It’s a nice reel. Spool tension is no longer adjustable and is super annoying. Not the best casting performance reel because of it.

The frame palms better than Steez A IMO. All in all, I was hoping for more.

I have the US version and have been really enjoying the reel. The frame design is fantastic and very comfortable in hand. It's obviously light with the magnesium frame, and being a flagship Steez, it's incredibly smooth. Mine has been used on a new Steez RC 73H as a dedicated jig/bottom contact combo. The performance I've experienced in terms of casting distance, control, and ease of use has been exceptional. I love the Steez CT, and this new 24 Steez SV TW is a nice option when line capacity on the CT isn't enough like on the 73H jig rod...

4. Member
    Any more feedback on this one?

5. Member
    My feedback is I want Bronzefly's dedicated jig/bottom contact combo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    My feedback is I want Bronzefly's dedicated jig/bottom contact combo!!!
    Well, I could certainly help you with that

7. Member
    So, slightly off-topic from the reel question, but now that we are on it… Bronzefly, is that Steez Real Control the ultimate jig rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    So, slightly off-topic from the reel question, but now that we are on it… Bronzefly, is that Steez Real Control the ultimate jig rod?
    There are so many high end rods for so many applications, crowning one "the ultimate" at anything isn't really reasonable. It certainly is a world class jig rod and ranks among the best I've ever fished. It really is a very fun combo to fish!

9. Member
    Would it rank as the best you’ve ever fished for dragging a half ounce football jig?

10. Member
    The best is not out there, but it sure is fun trying to track it down!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    Would it rank as the best you’ve ever fished for dragging a half ounce football jig?
    A 1/2 oz FB jig isn't something I've fished on this combo yet. I don't throw a 1/2 oz FB jig regularly, I use 3/4 or even 1 oz FB jigs most often. I have fished a 1/2 oz Keitech tungsten casting jig quite a bit with this combo and the rod is world class - among the best out there indeed.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Well, I could certainly help you with that
    If I do, you know I'll be in contact! The RC models I've tried my best to stay away from :-)

13. Member
    Just an update now that I’ve had some seat time with this reel.

Reel is still very smooth. I’ve caught a good many large fish on this reel. Mostly striped bass. Gears are still very smooth.

Ive also tried very hard to understand the fact that Daiwa removed the ability to adjust spool tension and I just cannot figure out how Daiwa would consider this a step forward in reel design. I even tried to convince myself there was some sort of secret voodoo engineering on this reel that magically adjusted spool tension to achieve perfect spool forces on every cast. Sadly, there is nothing of the sort. Regardless of line type, line weight, line capacity, and bait weight; you get the same spool tension regardless.

14. Member
    Hedgehog has a washers kit that allows for adjustment of the CCC on the 24 Steez...

15. Member
    I wonder if the Metanium DC 70 is a better option? It seems to get rave reviews.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRed View Post
    Just an update now that I’ve had some seat time with this reel.

Reel is still very smooth. I’ve caught a good many large fish on this reel. Mostly striped bass. Gears are still very smooth.

Ive also tried very hard to understand the fact that Daiwa removed the ability to adjust spool tension and I just cannot figure out how Daiwa would consider this a step forward in reel design. I even tried to convince myself there was some sort of secret voodoo engineering on this reel that magically adjusted spool tension to achieve perfect spool forces on every cast. Sadly, there is nothing of the sort. Regardless of line type, line weight, line capacity, and bait weight; you get the same spool tension regardless.

It’s still adjustable, but with a tool (included). Realistically though, the days of adjusting spool tension to the weight of your bait are long gone and outdated. Optimal setting is where the spool barely has any side to side movement. Really no reason to change it after this adjustment is set. Your thumb simply has a job to do if you want the most out of baitcasting gear.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    It’s still adjustable, but with a tool (included).
    No. It is not.

That tool does not adjust spool tension. It only adjusts how tight the cap sits on the reel frame.

I verified this with Daiwa. The tightening/loosening tool that ships with the 24 Steez SV TW has NO effect on spool tension. None!

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind
    Realistically though, the days of adjusting spool tension to the weight of your bait are long gone and outdated.

I respectfully disagree with this statement.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Hedgehog has a washers kit that allows for adjustment of the CCC on the 24 Steez...
    I’ll look into it. Always nice buying a flagship reel and then having to spend more money to get it to behave the way I want lol.

This makes sense though. I’ve noticed the factory spool tension is different between reels. So a washer set could help tighten/loosen factory settings.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRed View Post
    No. It is not.

That tool does not adjust spool tension. It only adjusts how tight the cap sits on the reel frame.

I verified this with Daiwa. The tightening/loosening tool that ships with the 24 Steez SV TW has NO effect on spool tension. None!

I respectfully disagree with this statement.[/COLOR]
    It’s a shame I can’t prove it to you in person. In the old days, centrifugal brakes were not adjustable, hence spool tension also helped in controlling backlash. Today, not only are centrifugal brakes adjustable, but both centrifugal and magnetic brakes have come a long way since those early days that, if you need backlash control, they work fine on their own. An educated thumb is still the best way to get maximum distance and accuracy on your casts (with a loose spool). The biggest thing that helped me was when I learned how to pitch (it was a fairly new technique in the early 80’s). Pitching needed a loose spool. Forcing myself to use the loose spool also ended up helping my regular casting. If I were teaching someone today, I would actually start with a tensioned spool and teach him the old school way, but to get advanced, you really need to start relying on your thumb.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    It’s a shame I can’t prove it to you in person. In the old days, centrifugal brakes were not adjustable, hence spool tension also helped in controlling backlash. Today, not only are centrifugal brakes adjustable, but both centrifugal and magnetic brakes have come a long way since those early days that, if you need backlash control, they work fine on their own. An educated thumb is still the best way to get maximum distance and accuracy on your casts (with a loose spool). The biggest thing that helped me was when I learned how to pitch (it was a fairly new technique in the early 80’s). Pitching needed a loose spool. Forcing myself to use the loose spool also ended up helping my regular casting. If I were teaching someone today, I would actually start with a tensioned spool and teach him the old school way, but to get advanced, you really need to start relying on your thumb.
    Your examples describe scenarios where the spool tension is too loose.

What do you do if the spool tension is too tight? Like mine is on my 24 Steez. The spool is way too tight for light baits and it causes poor casting. How would one’s thumb help control a cast when the spool is over tightened and Daiwa gives you no way to loosen it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast