Garmin Transducer Placement Stratos 186XT

Hey guys, planning on swapping my boat to all Garmin. My boat isn’t a true “pad” style bass boat, nor does it have a jackplate. Considering the GT56 or possibly the 36 with a shoot through in the hull. Asking for opinions on placement of either transducer. The “step” in my transom isn’t as large/deep as some boats so not sure where I’ll get good transducer protection but also good returns. Clearance from the engine is a consideration too since I don’t have a jackplate. Maybe a jackplate is the best option, but apparently these boats don’t gain much from one. Here’s a shot of my transom, please let me know way y’all think. Thanks!
    E412F31F-02B6-4989-A77C-8CF070A68919.jpeg

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I recommend you do the split ducer combo. GT8/GT36, 8 as a shoot thru (in bilge) and 36 on transom
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Thanks for the feedback! Would you mount the GT36 on the upper part of the step or up higher above the step on the transom? I’d like to avoid it skimming but I may not have enough clearance if I place it in the step.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'd put it higher above the step to keep it from getting broken off. For the image ducer you dont need it to "skim".....looking at your pic, i'd probably put about even with the temp probe or maybe a tad bit lower. Now since you dont have a jp, you will need to trim your motor when idling and looking at the images, otherwise the motor will be blocking the left side of ducer......one other thing, you dont have a whole pic of the transom so i'm guessing there isnt anything else that would be blocking the ducer.

5. Member
    Ok that’s along the lines of what I was thinking. I’d like to get it out of the water while on plane but without the jp I wasn’t sure of the best option. On the “flat” of the transom I could mount a board to mount the transducer to and keep from drilling too many holes. The only thing besides the outboard bracket would be a boarding ladder on the left side of the transom that shouldn’t be an issue. I tried to upload a full transom picture but the website said it was too large.

If I mounted approx where the temp probe is would that make me have to trim the motor less or more for a clear side scan? I mostly crappie fish so I side scan for the “big picture” then drop the trolling motor with live scope to dial in.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yes, some type of mounting board that can be epoxied to transom would work for the GT36. One item used to be Stern Saver....looks like they no longer in business but if you can find one, that would be good or something similar.....when idling, you would have to trim your motor more (up) so it wouldnt block but it once installed you would have to see what works best....